Luxury and Precision - Crowdfunding Promotion on the L3 Digital Music Player, Available Soon!
Apr 7, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #661 of 1,603

hey Brooko,

i am trying to zero in on this or x5ii . Else i am considering dp x1(but its almost twice the price as this). I have dunu dn1000 and recently got the audeze sine.Now, I cant use a balanced out with the dunu's but audeze someone might release a balanced cable for those in future. 

DPX1 is good for its price mainly because of the black background sound, full Android feature, smooth sounding and slightly warmish neutral sound signature. I sold my DPX1 as it does not really pairs well with my U12. Now I'm eyeing on this L3 and hope it pairs well with my U12.

If you didn't like U12/DP-X1 pair up, you're not going to like U12/L3.  Don't have DP-X1 and only take your "slightly warmish neutral sound" description into consideration, but I do have other variables of this equation.  I personally enjoy U12 w/production L3 pair up (with pre-production demo L3 unit that pair up from of balanced output was insanely good).

Apr 7, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #662 of 1,603

If you didn't like U12/DP-X1 pair up, you're not going to like U12/L3.  Don't have DP-X1 and only take your "slightly warmish neutral sound" description into consideration, but I do have other variables of this equation.  I personally enjoy U12 w/production L3 pair up (with pre-production demo L3 unit that pair up from of balanced output was insanely good).

Do you mean that there is a downgrade SQ wise from the pre-production units to the production units?

Apr 7, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #663 of 1,603
  So if I already own a Fiio X3ii, do you still recommend me to get the L3 just for the sonic improvement and signature?

Laying down an extra $300-$400 for an actual SQ upgrade - honestly, probably not.  But if you prefer a touch screen, like the aesthetics, and need or want a balanced option - this is one heck of a DAP. "Hopefully" it will get better as the fw matures.  I really like it.  But if you're expecting a big upgrade from X3ii - in my personal opinion its a pretty small incremental upgrade as far as actual SQ goes.

I'd wait to hear from a couple of other people though - especially interested in Amos take on it vs the X5ii.  See if we view things similarly. 

Apr 7, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #665 of 1,603

Do you mean that there is a downgrade SQ wise from the pre-production units to the production units?

Maybe a burn in factor initially?

It's like two headphones with a different sound signature, one is not better than the other, they are just different  The overall signature is warmer now, which is OK with me.  But the real change I found with 2.5mm balanced output: the demo pre-production unit had a more holographic expanded soundstage and a more revealing/layered sound.  Don't get me wrong, L3 sounds great.  I also know there were a few hw changes between pre-production and production units.  So, I don't know if sound difference is attributed to a hw update or related to fw change.  I hope it's the later one so perhaps some of it could reversed.  But in general, if it sounds great to you - that is the most important factor.  And for IGG backers, you got yourself one heck of a deal for $299.  Once usb dac is enabled and *maybe* touch screen swiping is implemented - this DAP will be hard to beat at that price.

Apr 7, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #666 of 1,603
Maybe a burn in factor initially?

I will write some impression on this soon. Personally after I fully burn-in both of my L3, I think it is more of burn in factor and production L3's singled ended output got improved over the test units, so there aren't a major difference between the two(SE and balanced out), but sound stage and separation difference is still pretty obvious.

Another thing to keep in mind when reading L3's impression is that people tend of have different cables for SE and balanced output, so the difference in cables could greatly impact on people's impression SE vs balanced output.

PS. I use the same cable for SE and balanced output(same brand and material, just different plug).
PS2. The hardware for balanced output have not changed from the test unit, but SE have been improved.

Apr 8, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #669 of 1,603
I would have thought the whole batch would have been sent to the US and then sent out individually, but it seems that they are being sent direct from the factory. If that is the case, good luck getting a tracking number.

Apr 9, 2016 at 3:42 AM Post #673 of 1,603
I had to re-format at least one of my 128 GB cards and transcode my main music library into FLAC so I could listen to everything on the L&P and other DAPs properly, so this ended up taking some time.

I decided to use my UERMs for the comparison, as well as the DITA The Answer (Truth Edition) and JH13s. All have balanced cables. I level-matched both players using SoundMeter on my iPhone with one IEM tacked in place in front of the microphone while plugging between the L3 and X5II. 

Lately my main test tracks have been from Eiji Oue's Bolero! Orchestral Fireworks in 44.1/16 as it covers pretty much everything from deep bass to dynamic range, as well as testing the naturalness of digital playback. Initial impressions between the balanced output of the L3 vs. SE out on the X5II suggested fairly subtle differences with the X5II sounding a bit more spacious and natural and the L3 a bit more dry and digital. There seemed to be more subtlety to the tonality of notes from violins using the X5II. 

I also gave both a run with the Shozy Zero IEMs which, with a slighter warmer tuning than the other IEMs, pairs nicer with the L3 and is more forgiving than both the DITAs or UERMs.

Note that the X5II has been here for months and the L3 just arrived, so I'm not sure that it wont improve with use. Functionality, full-sized headphones, fit-and-finish and all that haven't been considered yet, though at $399 retail it is going to be a bit challenged given it only has 1 TF card slot. 

Apr 9, 2016 at 4:17 AM Post #674 of 1,603
Thanks Amos. Sounds like we see it somewhat similar, but I guess I like the slightly leaner, drier, more analytical approach a little bit more - where I found the FiiOs had just a touch more warmth. It's a pity the fw on the L3 wasn't a little more mature.  It is the one thing holding it back. For me the X3ii and X5ii usability is now very good - especially with the search function, full EQ etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back