Luxman P-750u headphone amp
Jul 28, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #19 of 180
hmm. so a brand’s totl headphone amp is not allowed to be more expensive than their entry level speaker amp?

Oh, a company is certainly allowed to have a headphone amp that is more expensive than their entry level speaker amp. I'm just not buying it because it is almost certainly a complete rip off.

It would be one thing if the company had an entry level speaker amp that was a genuine POS for a couple hundred bucks, and they had a decent headphone amp for a couple hundred dollars more. That sort of thing I can understand.

But charging 2500 bucks more than a REALLY good speaker amp? Nah. Sorry. That's a total money grab.

Jul 31, 2021 at 12:57 AM Post #20 of 180
Their TOTL power amp is close to $20k ($12k in Japan). The P-750u is their flagship too so it's kinda unfair

Aug 1, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #21 of 180
It would be one thing if the company had an entry level speaker amp that was a genuine POS for a couple hundred bucks, and they had a decent headphone amp for a couple hundred dollars more. That sort of thing I can understand.

But charging 2500 bucks more than a REALLY good speaker amp? Nah. Sorry. That's a total money grab.
Which amp is $2500 cheaper than the P-750u?

Aug 1, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #22 of 180
Which amp is $2500 cheaper than the P-750u?

Well I was going to say the Luxman L550 ax2, but I am seeing verrrrry different pricing than what I remember.

I was looking at buying the amp for myself back around christmas time of 2019, and found a brick and mortar store that gave me a price sheet showing the amp was about 2700 bucks after taxes and what not.

Now I am seeing that music direct has it listed for 6K?????

What the hell. So not only am I completely wrong here, but I apparently missed out on a great deal. Talk about insult to injury.

Aug 1, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #23 of 180
Well I was going to say the Luxman L550 ax2, but I am seeing verrrrry different pricing than what I remember.

I was looking at buying the amp for myself back around christmas time of 2019, and found a brick and mortar store that gave me a price sheet showing the amp was about 2700 bucks after taxes and what not.

Now I am seeing that music direct has it listed for 6K?????

What the hell. So not only am I completely wrong here, but I apparently missed out on a great deal. Talk about insult to injury.
Reminds me of the time a local store mis-labelled a second-hand Linn Climax Twin for about the same amount. I'm still kicking myself for not buying it!

But yeah, you had me puzzled for a moment, as the Luxman amps were never that cheap, even in Japan. You can get second-hand D-06 DACs now for around $2k though, which is an excellent bargain.

Aug 2, 2021 at 1:45 AM Post #24 of 180
Reminds me of the time a local store mis-labelled a second-hand Linn Climax Twin for about the same amount. I'm still kicking myself for not buying it!

But yeah, you had me puzzled for a moment, as the Luxman amps were never that cheap, even in Japan. You can get second-hand D-06 DACs now for around $2k though, which is an excellent bargain.
Indeed.
I bought my DA-06 for 2.5K used.
My P-750u was a little less than 4K new if I remember right.
But I paid my L-509X was 9K new, my dealer discount included. That’s the top integrated.
That’s Euros by the way, everything is more expensive than in the US here.

Aug 2, 2021 at 11:02 PM Post #25 of 180
IMG_5647.jpeg
Borrowed from a friend to try out. It's quite interesting comparing the DA-06 to my Yggdrasil.

As a long time Luxman user owning both the P1u and p700u, I am so looking forward on your youtube review.
May be if you can give some thoughts compare it to older luxman model will be applicated, as I notice the 750u is quite cheap recently in fujiya avic (second hand) as the mk2 is out, I am very temped to buy one.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2021 at 11:04 PM Post #26 of 180
As a long time luxman user owning both the P1u and p700u, I am so looking forward on your youtube review.
May be if you can give some thoughts compare it to older luxman model will be applicated, as I notice the 750u is quite cheap recently in fujiya avic (second hand) as the mk2 is out, I am very temped to buy one.
Wrong dude man. think you meant to quote currawong :ksc75smile:

Aug 2, 2021 at 11:22 PM Post #27 of 180
Aug 18, 2021 at 10:39 PM Post #28 of 180
I have been longing for the p750u for quite awhile. I just contacted the local distributor and they said that Luxman doesn't make any export version of the P-750u MKII now. that's really a bad news to me and hopefully Luxman can consider to make the export version asap....

Aug 18, 2021 at 11:26 PM Post #29 of 180
Luxman is very reliant on the dealer/distributor model, and likely they can't compete overseas in the headphone amp market. I suspect that they are also completely clueless about it, given things such as the lack of a 4.4mm socket and the continued use of the long abandoned dual-3-pin XLR sockets.

Likewise McIntosh, who released a headphone amp with the same socket config, and a ridiculous lack of output power. It is as if they are still living in the 2000s!

As a long time Luxman user owning both the P1u and p700u, I am so looking forward on your youtube review.
I can't compare it with different versions as I don't have any of them here.

Aug 19, 2021 at 12:25 AM Post #30 of 180
Luxman is very reliant on the dealer/distributor model, and likely they can't compete overseas in the headphone amp market. I suspect that they are also completely clueless about it, given things such as the lack of a 4.4mm socket and the continued use of the long abandoned dual-3-pin XLR sockets.

Likewise McIntosh, who released a headphone amp with the same socket config, and a ridiculous lack of output power. It is as if they are still living in the 2000s!

I can't compare it with different versions as I don't have any of them here.
I feel like the speaker amp manufacturers at the massive scale Luxman and McIntosh are at, a headphone amp is just an afterthought to them and we can clearly see that in their products. It's just a cash grab IMO.

The higher end speaker amp manufacturer actually think about what goes into the product with a focus to headphone enthusiasts, a great example being Pathos from Italy. They manufacture uber-end speaker/integrated amps but their headphone amps are no slouches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back