Luxman New DAC : DA-06
Feb 24, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #3 of 18
An english version of the DA-06 info is on the US importer's web site http://www.onahighernote.com/luxman/?c=11&id=65. A CES2013 note on Audiostream http://www.audiostream.com/content/luxman-da-06-usb-dsd-dac puts the US price point at $6K. Pretty stiff compared to the JP pricing... This high export pricing seems to hold across the entire Luxman line (to my regret as I like most of their products...).

I have a Luxman D-05, which I use as both CDP and DAC. I really like its tonality a lot, so the DA-06 (the DAC section is derived from the D-06) is on my potential list. But there are quite a few contenders in that price range. At $3300, this would be a total no-brainer. At $6000, some more thinking is required.

Diseree, is that DA-06/P-700 stack yours? If yes, congrats on a very nice setup... Any feedback and comparison with other DACs and HPAs?

Feb 26, 2013 at 5:10 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:
Diseree, is that DA-06/P-700 stack yours? If yes, congrats on a very nice setup... Any feedback and comparison with other DACs and HPAs?

Yes, both are mine. I had reserved DA-06 last December.

The sound of DA-06 and P-700u combination is amazing. Very very transparent and clear. But DA-06 have an issue around USB that is controversial among japanese audiophile. When the music start through USB, you can hear the sound of internal relay unit clearly, and when the music is paused or stopped, you can also hear the relay noise. If you make play list, you can hear relay noise at every interval of each music. So we think DA-06 may be fragile. I am forced to use USB-DDC and TOSLINK instead of DA-06 internal USB interface, to avoid relay noise. I cannot recommend DA-06 to anyone until this relay issue is resolved.

Feb 26, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #5 of 18
Thanks for the info, Deseree. I would appreciate if you could post on future improvements on this USB relay issue - definitely a bummer for now. Is this purely a relay noise, or does it create noise on the output signal of the DAC? Pure relay noise is less of an issue for me as my equipment is ~ 2m from my listening station, noise through the RCA/XLR outputs would definitely be a real problem.

Side question: any Japanese audiophile and/or headphile website you recommend following? I don't read Japanese, but Google Translate usually does a semi-decent job of giving the general idea of the content.

Feb 26, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #6 of 18
A relay noise does not contaminate the output signal. Remarkable loud sound is heard directly from the equipment anytime the music starts and ends, even you are at 2m from DA-06. I guess it might be corrected by firmware update.

In japan, the commercial audio journalism is obviously 'Manufacturer's  propaganda'. You cannot trust them. We refer to head-fi or innerfidelity to get actual information.
Some useful informations are written in www.2ch.net, AV board and Pure AV board. But 2ch.net is also inferior, vulgar, and contaminated by the dangerous malware.
If you want to get only the new model information, I recommend Phileweb (http://www.phileweb.com/) and Impress AV watch (http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/).

Feb 27, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #7 of 18
Yes, if you can hear the relay click from 2m away, it is really loud. Some types of relay can be loud. I assume this relay is used to mute the sound whenever the clock frequency changes (to leave time for the PLL to sync up), and that they are too aggressive in the USB case, assuming any USB session change (e.g. track switching) might be a clock frequency change. This gives some hope for a possible firmware fix, (i.e. mute on USB only when the clock needs to change, instead of when it might change) but of course I may be completely off and misunderstand the root problem... Armchair engineering is so much fun 
normal_smile .gif

Thanks for the pointers, I'll take a tour on those sites next week-end.

Feb 27, 2013 at 1:50 AM Post #8 of 18
I wasn't very impressed by the DA100 and DA200, so I'm curious about the DA-06. I'll have to see if I can't audition one sometime.

Feb 27, 2013 at 5:03 AM Post #9 of 18
Diseree, I will go to Tokyo in mid March.  I think I could easily find a demo unit in local electronic store, right?  May be I should get couple back to the U.S. and sell them in ebay. LOL...

Feb 27, 2013 at 5:34 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:
Diseree, I will go to Tokyo in mid March.  I think I could easily find a demo unit in local electronic store, right?  May be I should get couple back to the U.S. and sell them in ebay. LOL...

You'll have some trouble as local units will most likely be 100V only. 

Feb 27, 2013 at 6:16 AM Post #11 of 18
You may need step down transformer that you can found here (example):

http://www.kashimura.com/goods/kaigai/trans.html

The power consumption only 15 W right? I don't know if it will degrade the sound but I doubt it.

Would love to hear Luxman myself, someday,. 

http://awabi.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/pav/1357916804/l50

Edit: just found the link but it's hard for me to read using translator 

Feb 27, 2013 at 6:19 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Some audio shops now display DA-06, but not of all (because DA-06 is very expensive). You can test demo unit at Fujiya-AVIC (Nakano, Tokyo, 20 minutes from Akihabara), Dynamic-Audio 5555 (Akihabara, Tokyo), Audio-Union (Ochanomizu, Tokyo, near Akihabara). The japanese domestic edition of DA-06 is 100V only. I dunno either it works at 115V or not. Most shops require reservation to purchase DA-06 or P-700u. The initial lot of DA-06 is almost sold out. The second lot will appear at early or mid March.

Feb 27, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #13 of 18
Hi Diseree, I am using EMM Labs DAC2X as my main DAC, and I will make a comparison with Luxman D-06 when I am in Tokyo.  Actually the items I really interested in is Intercity MBA-1 platinum edition and Luxman P-700u.  Have you audited Intercity MBA-1 platinum edition before?  How does it compare to Luxman P-700u?  As an engineer, by looking at the inside photo of Luxman p-700u, it doesn't make sense at least from manufacturing point of view (May be there are reasons for that which I don't know as an outsider.).  Have you compared Luxman P-700u with other amplifier in terms of musical performance?  What is your comment on Luxman P-700u?

Feb 28, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #14 of 18
I do not know much about MBA-1, sorry. MBA-1 is considered to be slightly outdated. Recently, most popular high-end headphone amplifier in Japan is P-700u, KH-07N or KH-08N by Newopto, X-HA10 by Nmode. KH-07N/KH-08N/X-HA10 are approx. $4000, build-to-order products. The X-HA10 is a digital amplifier and fully balanced construction. IMHO, P-700u a featureless sound. Transparent, not colored, not powerful.

Feb 3, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #15 of 18
The Luxman DA-06 click or POP sound heard when changing formats or DSD files was only on the prototype that was lent to the press early last year. The 115v export production model (US$4,990) does not have this issue.  To ensure that N. America Luxman fans experience what this DAC is truly capable of, Luxman's U.S. distributor is sending a gift of a 16 GB USB card with a sample selection of Channel Classic's native DSD recordings after customers register the product for warranty.  All warranty and repair work is supported only after verification of serial numbers and purchase history. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back