Luxman New DAC : DA-06
Feb 21, 2014 at 6:07 AM Post #16 of 18
  The Luxman DA-06 click or POP sound heard when changing formats or DSD files was only on the prototype that was lent to the press early last year. The 115v export production model (US$4,990) does not have this issue.   

I am very interested in the above comments, especially the input by Highernote that I have quoted.  I purchased the D-06 last week here in Tokyo, new, from Dynamic Audio.  It has a 2013 sticker on the back.  It does make this irritating relay-click sound between some tracks, even tracks on the same album that are at the same bit rate/ resolution.  I find it distracting and worrrying, vis. the long term reliability of this DAC.  Could you confirm if the US versions have had some kind of firmware update or other modification to address this issue?  

And Diseree, I wonder if you have kept up with this issue regarding your unit?  

Thanks in advance,

David

Jun 23, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #17 of 18
  An english version of the DA-06 info is on the US importer's web site http://www.onahighernote.com/luxman/?c=11&id=65. A CES2013 note on Audiostream http://www.audiostream.com/content/luxman-da-06-usb-dsd-dac puts the US price point at $6K. Pretty stiff compared to the JP pricing... This high export pricing seems to hold across the entire Luxman line (to my regret as I like most of their products...).

I have a Luxman D-05, which I use as both CDP and DAC. I really like its tonality a lot, so the DA-06 (the DAC section is derived from the D-06) is on my potential list. But there are quite a few contenders in that price range. At $3300, this would be a total no-brainer. At $6000, some more thinking is required.

Diseree, is that DA-06/P-700 stack yours? If yes, congrats on a very nice setup... Any feedback and comparison with other DACs and HPAs?

Yep, same here in Belgium. 6800 USD for the DA-06.  
I had the same situation with my P-1u, much more expensive than it is in the US or Japan. I decided to stop sponsoring our European Luxman distributors.
What's more, although the P-1u was a mighty fine drive-any-can amp it never blew my socks off.
Some others did but only one kept doing it ... the ZDSE. Wasn't unexpensive to get it into Belgium as well but worth double of every cent I spent on it.
So sorry, no more Lux for me. Maybe at half the price I'd contemplate auditioning it.

Jun 30, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #18 of 18
Quote:

Yes, both are mine. I had reserved DA-06 last December.

The sound of DA-06 and P-700u combination is amazing. Very very transparent and clear. But DA-06 have an issue around USB that is controversial among japanese audiophile. When the music start through USB, you can hear the sound of internal relay unit clearly, and when the music is paused or stopped, you can also hear the relay noise. If you make play list, you can hear relay noise at every interval of each music. So we think DA-06 may be fragile. I am forced to use USB-DDC and TOSLINK instead of DA-06 internal USB interface, to avoid relay noise. I cannot recommend DA-06 to anyone until this relay issue is resolved.
Just curious: Was that problem ever resolved?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back