Low cost XLR Balanced input HP amp for LCD-2 ?
Apr 12, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #16 of 34
The dynalo is a clear improvement over the internal amp in the DA10 (well, I've only heard - and own - the DA11, but I assume they use the same headphone circuitry).  If you must have a balanced design, have you considered building a dynamid?  You could do so for probably $300, and it would just about wreck every other amp recommended in this thread with ease

Apr 12, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #17 of 34
The dynalo is a clear improvement over the internal amp in the DA10 (well, I've only heard - and own - the DA11, but I assume they use the same headphone circuitry).  If you must have a balanced design, have you considered building a dynamid?  You could do so for probably $300, and it would just about wreck every other amp recommended in this thread with ease

I'm curious about the dynamid although my DIY skills are pretty much none w electronics.
I have a tech friend, I might run it by them.

It seems I should keep an eye on the amps for sale forum. I may be able to get a significant amp upgrade from the Lavry HP out for the comparably low budget.

Appreciate these suggestions!

Apr 12, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #20 of 34

Quote:
I think I know what you mean although, It is balanced input in so far as to accept XLR inputs form another source (summing box, analog tape deck etc.)  
In my case, I don't need balanced "HP input". just 1/4 inch.

Yes, but the 1/4 inch is a single ended signal. It wouldn't be balanced. It only has balanced inputs for convenience. I think in your case there isn't much point of a balanced amp.

Apr 12, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #21 of 34

Quote:
I think I know what you mean although, It is balanced input in so far as to accept XLR inputs form another source (summing box, analog tape deck etc.)  
In my case, I don't need balanced "HP input". just 1/4 inch.

In that case you don't need a balanced amp. Save yourself a lot of money and get a quality single ended SS amp.

Apr 13, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #22 of 34

Quote:
In that case you don't need a balanced amp. Save yourself a lot of money and get a quality single ended SS amp.

Hmm, maybe I'm missing something here but,
I know I need an amp can accept a balanced input from the studio gear.
The output of the hardware / Studio gear is XLR Balanced to send to whatever HP amp. The HP amp needs to be able to accept either XLR or TRS 1/4 inch balanced.
Many of the fine HP amp options are of course RCA Unbalance input. Am I right?

Apr 13, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #24 of 34

Quote:
Actually I just noticed that your Lavry only has balanced outputs. You can use a xlr to rca cable to connect to the SE amp.

If thats the case, then yes, just use balanced to xlr, as brasewel says.

If you don't have a balanced headphones, there is little point of a balanced amp.

Apr 14, 2011 at 9:36 AM Post #25 of 34
Although the output if the Lavry is balanced, the more important part of my scenario is that the output of the Shadow Hills Equinox ( it's like an audio console in 4 rack spaces ) is best to stay balanced into whatever amp.

Gotta say, the Lavry HP out is not bad but...
Does not compare ( sound stage, depth, top and bottom ) to the simple HP out of my Sansui receiver (circa 70's I think).
Of course the source for Sansui was a CD player and the source for the Lavry was an aiff file in ITunes but still...

It seems the LCD2 seriously benefits from a not only sufficiant, but hearty power source.
That was a bit eye opening.

Apr 14, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #26 of 34

Quote:
Although the output if the Lavry is balanced, the more important part of my scenario is that the output of the Shadow Hills Equinox ( it's like an audio console in 4 rack spaces ) is best to stay balanced into whatever amp.

Does not compare ( sound stage, depth, top and bottom ) to the simple HP out of my Sansui receiver (circa 70's I think).
Of course the source for Sansui was a CD player and the source for the Lavry was an aiff file in ITunes but still...

It seems the LCD2 seriously benefits from a not only sufficiant, but hearty power source.

interesting. why does it have to be balanced?

Apr 14, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #27 of 34
I know it might sound somewhat farfetched, but my iBasso PB1 drives my HE-5 to more than adequate levels of listening volume. To me the PB1 via balanced output sounded better than when it was paired with the EF-5 (could drive to much higher levels without clipping/distortion, bass maintains a lot of weight). FWIR the LCD-2 requirements are less than the HE-5 so I believe it might fit the bill. iBasso's 2nd gen balanced portable amp is supposedly much more powerful

Apr 14, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #28 of 34

Quote:

Yes the LCD-2 requires a powerful amp to bring out it's true potential. Which is why trying to go cheap on a balanced amp is not recommended at all.

Apr 14, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #29 of 34

Quote:
interesting. why does it have to be balanced?

Good question I can't fully answer but, Peter Reardon (Shadow Hills CEO / Mastermind / decent Gentleman) says that the Equinox likes to have all balanced I/O's in considering how he designed it.

Quote:
Yes the LCD-2 requires a powerful amp to bring out it's true potential. Which is why trying to go cheap on a balanced amp is not recommended at all.

Guess I'm seeking a reasonable compromise ie;< $400.  Still considering the options like the MK VII+, Dynalo, Dynamid... 

Quote:
I know it might sound somewhat farfetched, but my iBasso PB1 drives my HE-5 to more than adequate levels of listening volume. To me the PB1 via balanced output sounded better than when it was paired with the EF-5 (could drive to much higher levels without clipping/distortion, bass maintains a lot of weight). FWIR the LCD-2 requirements are less than the HE-5 so I believe it might fit the bill. iBasso's 2nd gen balanced portable amp is supposedly much more powerful

Interesting. Have to check it out. 

Apr 14, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #30 of 34
I highly recommend you try to come to the meet on May 7th. We will be having some really high end balanced amps as well as <$200 SE amps. That way you will be able to see the differences for yourself before making a wrong choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back