Lots of Options and Discounts... Help? (Poll)
Apr 29, 2012 at 4:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

crzycuyler

100+ Head-Fier

Environment: I will be using the headphones at work, the university library, on walk to campus, and at home. 

Use: I will be using the headphones for music, computer games, and an occasional movie. The ratio for music to games usage is nearly 50/50, but my main concern is with music. I care more about my audio experience with music than with computer games, but do not want to suffer terribly in my gaming experience.

Purpose: To provide the most detailed audio without sacrificing a natural/accurate sound. I am very OCD when it comes to certain areas. I appreciate a balanced sound. I want to hear the most accurate reproduction of the recording. I am a very analytical and intellectual listener. I listen to tracks multiple times through to follow different instruments, rhythms, harmonies, and pick up on unique features. I sing, play guitar, play mandolin, and write music, and I like to hear the details behind what is occurring so that that I can grasp what the artist is doing. If theses descriptions make for a boring headphone, I could look for something a bit more fun, but I cannot stray far from these characteristics. 

Music: I listen to Punch Brothers, Iron and Wine,The Civil Wars, Glenn Hansard, The Frames, Nickel Creek, and anything Chris Thile, firstly. Secondly, I will on occasion listen to many genres consisting of The Raconteurs, Incubus, Matchbox Twenty, Jason Mraz, Jamie Cullum, John Mayer, Radiohead, and The White Stripes. 

Gaming: Games I play consist of Elders' Scrolls: Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3, Starcraft II, Diablo, Guild Wars, Bioshock. I mostly don't play first person shooters. I love RPGs, and it just so happens that almost all the games I have mentioned have very unique and intricate soundtracks.

Summary: I may not know the best thing for me, but what I have concluded thus far is that I need a portable, isolating headphone for my use. Feel free to argue with me. I also believe I need a well balanced, versatile, accurate headphone. This would mean it does not lack significantly in anything. For game use, is bass important? 

Models considered thus far:
-Sennheiser HD 25-1 II - The talk of balanced sound, build quality, and isolating ability has excited me. I have not and will not be able to test them. I hear the bass is nice; this helps video games and some genres of music. I hear they are accurate; this fill my OCD craving. I hear they are detailed; this is the most important factor as I am VERY interested in hearing the minute details.
-B&W P5 - I know very little about these. I like the look. I've read they aren't very detailed, but that they have nice mids? This did not have substantial support. 
-Shure SE535 - I know very little about these, as well.
-Audio Technica ATH-ESW9A - I'm hoping that if the HD 25-1 II are not for me, that these will be. The pricing I display in a moment will explain this.. They are pretty attractive. I've read a few nice reviews, but they were few and very subjective. Advice here would be nice.
-Klipsch Image X10i - Someone recommended them before... that is all I know.
-Etymotic ER23-HF3-C - These were recommended and through research I read that they are very accurate IEM. I am not sure if this is a "very accurate for the price" statement, or if it is overall.
-AKG Q701 - Clearly not a portable or isolating headphone, but it is of interest. If it can support much better audio than the portables, then maybe sacrificing my portability and isolations may be worth it. I'll take a fantastic experience on regular occasion, rather than a pretty good one all the time. I've read the AKQ Q701 are pretty raved about for value, detail, balance, and bass. Any thoughts?
-Sennheiser HD650 or HD598 -  I know little of the differences, but my thoughts in this direction are near exact as the AKG Q701 thoughts. 

Final Vital tid bit: I work at Best Buy. I get employee discounts. They can be substantial. I also get the discount on replacement plans, and I can get 18 months no interest financing. Therefor, I am wanting to choose from the selection at Best Buy. 

Apr 29, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #2 of 13
2 things to help you out.

1) do you really need isolation? If so, what do you need to block out?

2) you are really limiting yourself on the bestbuy thing.. you can get most of those headphones on the trade forum for at or below that price. At the very least. Do yourself a favor and expand your considerations to include buying from the trade forums. Makes no sense to pigeon hole yourself to best buy.

Now, ill tell you what I have personally found to work out for me. I built a diy headphone around the magnum drivers sold by symphones. These could be compared with something like the q701 as far as performance and openness goes (yes, of course many people will pick one over the other, I was just saying). Then when I'm on the run I use a simple pair of very nice, very cheap buds the Blox M2C.

I would suggest maybe picking up something like the Blox or maybe even the Koss ksc75 or possibly a budget iems like the JVC riptides for when you are on the run and focus on getting yourself a nice pair when you are at home and can really appreciate the difference.

Just what works for me man.

Apr 29, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #4 of 13

Quote:
2 things to help you out.
1) do you really need isolation? If so, what do you need to block out?

I do and don't. If I am going to use the headphones in the library I do. If I am going to take intense home listening and gaming seriously, then I don't. At the moment, its not that I am indecisive. It is that I have not been convinced one direction or the other. I don't know enough about headphones. From what I've heard, these are some pretty good sets at Best Buy. It comforts me to have them new. Other major points, which I listed, are the replacement plan and 18 months no interest financing. If you recommend something aside from this this, also try to recommend one from it. I will check out both. Thanks!

Quote:
damn that is a hard choice......

Got any ideas?

Apr 30, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #5 of 13
I do and don't. If I am going to use the headphones in the library I do. If I am going to take intense home listening and gaming seriously, then I don't. At the moment, its not that I am indecisive. It is that I have not been convinced one direction or the other. I don't know enough about headphones. From what I've heard, these are some pretty good sets at Best Buy. It comforts me to have them new. Other major points, which I listed, are the replacement plan and 18 months no interest financing. If you recommend something aside from this this, also try to recommend one from it. I will check out both. Thanks!

Got any ideas?

You don't need isolation for the library unless you listen to your music really loud or if your portable set is VERY open. I'd use my Blox m2c in the library with no problems.

Apr 30, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #6 of 13
From your list I'd suggest the K550, seems to fit the sound you're looking for and the deal you'd get it for is quite a bit better than anywhere else (as they are a recent release they won't be heavily discounted for at least a couple months.)  The Shures are also good but they're expensive and IEM's do bother a lot of people.

-Sennheiser HD 25-1 II - Not a minute details headphone.  The amperior (their newly released replacement) is much better looking.
-B&W P5 - Attractive, pleasant sounding, but not neutral.
-Shure SE535 - Very good.  A little expensive and some (myself included) have issues wearing non-custom IEMs.  
-Audio Technica ATH-ESW9A - Great mids, (but bumped up) especially for groups like Iron and Wine.  Unfortunately, they are weak where the cups twist and I have had two separate pairs break with light portable use.  The cups also get scratched fairly easily.
-Klipsch Image X10i - Overrated.
-Etymotic ER23-HF3-C - I've only heard higher up on the totem.  Can't comment.
-AKG Q701 - I wouldn't get an open headphone (HD series or K701) in your situation.
-Sennheiser HD650 or HD598 -  I wouldn't get an open headphone (HD series or K701) in your situation.

Apr 30, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #7 of 13
Ignore votes I'll try and remove them.

Right for isolation and a great accurate sound HF3s. For that price I'd get them now if I was you without thought.
HD650 will be a choice for gaming with a great bassy sound and huge soundstage. They are a reall top headphone.
They won't isolate however as they are open and this goes for the AKGs and HD598s as well.

For that price id have to get HF3s however and maybe look at another full sized such as K701 (which I have not heard) or Hd650 (I have heard).

Also nice to see white stripes, radio head, Cullem and Mayer on there :wink:

Apr 30, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #8 of 13

Quote:
From your list I'd suggest the K550, seems to fit the sound you're looking for and the deal you'd get it for is quite a bit better than anywhere else (as they are a recent release they won't be heavily discounted for at least a couple months.)  The Shures are also good but they're expensive and IEM's do bother a lot of people.

-Sennheiser HD 25-1 II - Not a minute details headphone.  The amperior (their newly released replacement) is much better looking.
-B&W P5 - Attractive, pleasant sounding, but not neutral.
-Shure SE535 - Very good.  A little expensive and some (myself included) have issues wearing non-custom IEMs.  
-Audio Technica ATH-ESW9A - Great mids, (but bumped up) especially for groups like Iron and Wine.  Unfortunately, they are weak where the cups twist and I have had two separate pairs break with light portable use.  The cups also get scratched fairly easily.
-Klipsch Image X10i - Overrated.
-Etymotic ER23-HF3-C - I've only heard higher up on the totem.  Can't comment.
-AKG Q701 - I wouldn't get an open headphone (HD series or K701) in your situation.
-Sennheiser HD650 or HD598 -  I wouldn't get an open headphone (HD series or K701) in your situation.

Thanks for the breakdown. I have been recommend the K550 a lot lately. Portability aside, does it seem to suit my need for music and gaming? I find myself considering two things:
-an all-in-one package as in a headphone that will be ideally used at home, but can be occasionally used on the go (K550 seems to fit this idea)
-a very portable set and a very much keep at home set

Quote:
Ignore votes I'll try and remove them.
Right for isolation and a great accurate sound HF3s. For that price I'd get them now if I was you without thought.
HD650 will be a choice for gaming with a great bassy sound and huge soundstage. They are a reall top headphone.
They won't isolate however as they are open and this goes for the AKGs and HD598s as well.
For that price id have to get HF3s however and maybe look at another full sized such as K701 (which I have not heard) or Hd650 (I have heard).
Also nice to see white stripes, radio head, Cullem and Mayer on there
wink.gif

Like mentioned above, I've got two directions to choose. In the all-in-one scenario, I very much do not want to sacrifice detail and natural sound and make gaming the priority. It is not. In the second scenario, I would like to have my main set of phones perform a tad more balanced between gaming and music, but I would have to have improvement in musical experience over the portable set. I must not step backwards just to move towards gaming. The HF3s are becoming tempting for portable use, I must say, but I cannot believe the number of recommendations I have received for the K550 without cluing people into my half price opportunity. This is the most tempting.

Thanks!

Apr 30, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #9 of 13
The HD650s are some amaizimg earphones for music and I know I made them sound like gaming headphones ahaha.
I saw you have including from joker and although I have not heard them I think they must be good.
Are they open or closed?
Yeh for that price I think the HF3s are and absolute bargain for some amazing sound and the best isolation!

Apr 30, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #10 of 13
Thanks for the breakdown. I have been recommend the K550 a lot lately. Portability aside, does it seem to suit my need for music and gaming? I find myself considering two things:
-an all-in-one package as in a headphone that will be ideally used at home, but can be occasionally used on the go (K550 seems to fit this idea)
-a very portable set and a very much keep at home set

It fits the bill for your music.  I'm not much of a gamer so I can't comment - it does movie soundtracks well if that's similar.  It's pretty good as an all-arounder, and for $150 it's almost a no-brainer in my opinion.

Apr 30, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #11 of 13

Quote:
It fits the bill for your music.  I'm not much of a gamer so I can't comment - it does movie soundtracks well if that's similar.  It's pretty good as an all-arounder, and for $150 it's almost a no-brainer in my opinion.

For my music, are you referring to my first preference list or second? I listen mostly to acoustic instrumentation and vocals. If it suits this, I'll probably pick them up tomorrow. These have been the most commonly recommended headphones so far. As for gaming. I mainly play games that the soundtrack is very vital and wildly intriguing to me. I am about immersion to another world and soundtracks can set the theme. A little impact would be nice, but from what I am told, these have more bass than many. 

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back