Lotoo PAW S2 USB DAC AMP 150 mW@32 ohm 4.4 , MQA - New Firmware released 26 January 2.0.0.5 link added first post.
Dec 29, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #271 of 443
Is anyone finding that the new software update is a step backwards in SQ? I updated to the newest with line-out mode, and everything sounds drier and edgier. Also, weirdly, I no longer see the LO option when I cycle through the options with the function button, though I did right after the update.

Dec 30, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #275 of 443
Since the most recent firmware update, the sudden, ear-shredding tone has occurred twice while listening to a streaming playlist on Apple Music. One assumes Lotoo is aware of the problem, and will quickly provide a remedy.

Yes, heard they are looking into this, with a fix in the future update, some kind of a rare bug related only to 96kHz files.

Dec 31, 2021 at 2:57 AM Post #276 of 443
Whoops, forgot that you have to unplug the headphone jack to see the line out option. Still curious if others have noticed degraded SQ…
I’m embarrassed to say that the S2 with bad new firmware sounds great now… I guess it just needed burn-in. Weird, that, but I’m pretty sure I heard that. Got the loud tone once now as well…

Dec 31, 2021 at 5:12 AM Post #279 of 443
I confirm that mine also has that movement...
Thank you. I suppose it is common "feature" then, I was thinking about exchanging it, but this will not be necessary.
This said, I am pleased with the product. I find it quite expensive though, but it seems to be the only one with playback controlls.
Soundwise the perceived difference on the 3.5mm jack compared to the output of my Samsung M51 not big, mit 300 Euro big. A little bit of bezzer bass (more defined), Al little bit of more definition in all frequencies and a little crispier and more natural timber I would say, but these are really very small differences and no blind test. Tested with UAPP in bit perfect mode.

Dec 31, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #281 of 443
Thank you. I suppose it is common "feature" then, I was thinking about exchanging it, but this will not be necessary.
This said, I am pleased with the product. I find it quite expensive though, but it seems to be the only one with playback controlls.
Soundwise the perceived difference on the 3.5mm jack compared to the output of my Samsung M51 not big, mit 300 Euro big. A little bit of bezzer bass (more defined), Al little bit of more definition in all frequencies and a little crispier and more natural timber I would say, but these are really very small differences and no blind test. Tested with UAPP in bit perfect mode.

The 4.4mm balanced port and the filter presets were the main key factor.
I do hope to see a new firmware update soon (correcting some of the issues already reported).
Happy New Year !

Jan 3, 2022 at 9:13 PM Post #282 of 443
Any word on a firmware update? I am trying to figure out whether I should keep this device or return it.

Jan 4, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #284 of 443
I'm waiting for one of these to arrive this week. Seems like it ought to be a good sound match for my FiiO FD5 and ATH WP-900 with their 4.4mm balanced Pentaconn connectors, when using my iPhone, iPad, or MacBook as a source (and also the only unit for which I can do firmware updates using macOS).

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2022 at 5:19 PM Post #285 of 443
None of my Lightning to USB-C cables will pass a signal from the S2, so I'm waiting for the Lotoo cable. Anyone find any other OTG cables that will work?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back