Lotoo PAW S2 USB DAC AMP 150 mW@32 ohm 4.4 , MQA - New Firmware released 26 January 2.0.0.5 link added first post.
Dec 13, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #241 of 443
Mentioned this in another thread, I just updated S2 to the latest fw 2.0.0.4 with added LO function, and while A/Bing 4.4mm output with LO enabled and disabled (volume set to 100), I found it doesn't sound the same. With S2 volume set to 100 + C9 amp (NuTube mode), I'm hearing some saturation in bass, while when switching S2 to LO w/C9 - I don't hear it. Thus, I have to assume its LO is not just a volume set at max, and when enabled it does something different. Will see if Lotoo can share more details about it.

lotoo-s2-line-out-x01.jpg

Dec 13, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #242 of 443
Mentioned this in another thread, I just updated S2 to the latest fw 2.0.0.4 with added LO function, and while A/Bing 4.4mm output with LO enabled and disabled (volume set to 100), I found it doesn't sound the same. With S2 volume set to 100 + C9 amp (NuTube mode), I'm hearing some saturation in bass, while when switching S2 to LO w/C9 - I don't hear it. Thus, I have to assume its LO is not just a volume set at max, and when enabled it does something different. Will see if Lotoo can share more details about it.

lotoo-s2-line-out-x01.jpg
Twister 6
Thank you for looking into this, as one of my reasons for buying the S2 was to use it to front end certain devices or streaming sites into the C9.
Really curious to read what you find out!

Dec 13, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #244 of 443
I just decided to keep the S2 and send the RU6 back because I prefer the smoother sound of the S2.

But unfortunately I am pretty sure I discovered a bug in the new firmware 2.0.0.4.

I now had it twice in about one hour listening that music playback suddenly stopped and the S2 was only playing a permanent beep until I disconnected it from the smartphone. I reported it to Lotoo and hope they will fix it soon.

So maybe don't update the firmware as of yet, because I didn't have that beep in all the hours listening with 2.0.0.3.

Can't remember what I was listening to the first time it happened, but the second time it was 96 kHz Qobuz with UAPP in bit-perfect.

EDIT: Lotoo responded very quickly to my mail and they are inquiring.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #245 of 443
I had the beep issue again today. Again with a 96 kHz Qobuz file.

If anyone has Qobuz and UAPP and firmware 2.0.0.4 running: If you could test with 96 kHz streaming, that would be great. But be careful, not too loud, that beeping noise is a pain in the ears. Here the song starts and then after 1-2 minutes it happens.

Dec 16, 2021 at 8:59 PM Post #246 of 443
I had the beep issue again today. Again with a 96 kHz Qobuz file.

If anyone has Qobuz and UAPP and firmware 2.0.0.4 running: If you could test with 96 kHz streaming, that would be great. But be careful, not too loud, that beeping noise is a pain in the ears. Here the song starts and then after 1-2 minutes it happens.

Running UAPP on my Galaxy S9, logged in to Qobuz with S2 (latest fw), bit-perfect on, playing Ed Sheeran latest album, Hi-Res, shows up as USB DAC 48kHz/24bit. No beeps here. Let me know which song you want me to test.

Screenshot_20211216-205515_USB Audio Player PRO.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2021 at 2:54 AM Post #247 of 443
Running UAPP on my Galaxy S9, logged in to Qobuz with S2 (latest fw), bit-perfect on, playing Ed Sheeran latest album, Hi-Res, shows up as USB DAC 48kHz/24bit. No beeps here. Let me know which song you want me to test.
Thanks. Yesterday it happened with this song: "Rockwell - Somebody's watching me" in 96 kHz as can be seen in the attached screenshot. I made the screenshot when it was playing the beep already, so the phone and UAPP don't freeze.

And I made a video of it. I made it with one hand and my huge Galaxy S7+ Tablet, so it's a little clumsy, but you get the idea. The song shown in the video is already the next song in my 80s playlist which is 44.1. So UAPP kept playing, but the beep started when playing the Rockwell song.

Of course I also send the video to Lotoo. Another album where it happened is Dangerous by Michael Jackson in 96 kHz. Maybe it has to do with Michael Jackson singing :thinking:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211216-231150.jpg
    Screenshot_20211216-231150.jpg
    640.5 KB · Views: 0
Dec 17, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #249 of 443
Thanks. Yesterday it happened with this song: "Rockwell - Somebody's watching me" in 96 kHz as can be seen in the attached screenshot. I made the screenshot when it was playing the beep already, so the phone and UAPP don't freeze.

And I made a video of it. I made it with one hand and my huge Galaxy S7+ Tablet, so it's a little clumsy, but you get the idea. The song shown in the video is already the next song in my 80s playlist which is 44.1. So UAPP kept playing, but the beep started when playing the Rockwell song.

Of course I also send the video to Lotoo. Another album where it happened is Dangerous by Michael Jackson in 96 kHz. Maybe it has to do with Michael Jackson singing :thinking:

Just played this classic track (Galaxy S9, UAPP in bit-perfect mode, S2 connected using stock usb-c to usb-c otg cable) three times in a loop, and I don't hear any "beeps". I mean, there are synthesizer bleeps :D but no beeps. Any particular time spot in the track where you consistently hear the beep, or is it random?

Considering a very specific scenario of playing Qobuz through UAPP where you hear a beep with 96kHz tracks, could it be related to some setting in UAPP that causes that? Can you toggle bit-perfect or any other settings? Also, UAPP developer, @Davy Wentzler is active member of this community, and maybe he has some suggestion for you?

I tried to play this particular track you mentioned, multiple times in a loop, and actually preferer it through UAPP over directly from Qobuz, and I don't hear any beeps at all.

Dec 17, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #250 of 443
Just played this classic track (Galaxy S9, UAPP in bit-perfect mode, S2 connected using stock usb-c to usb-c otg cable) three times in a loop, and I don't hear any "beeps". I mean, there are synthesizer bleeps :D but no beeps. Any particular time spot in the track where you consistently hear the beep, or is it random?

Considering a very specific scenario of playing Qobuz through UAPP where you hear a beep with 96kHz tracks, could it be related to some setting in UAPP that causes that? Can you toggle bit-perfect or any other settings? Also, UAPP developer, @Davy Wentzler is active member of this community, and maybe he has some suggestion for you?

I tried to play this particular track you mentioned, multiple times in a loop, and actually preferer it through UAPP over directly from Qobuz, and I don't hear any beeps at all.
Thanks for inquiring.

Check the video I made, there you can hear that constant beep.

And I also managed to get that beep with Roon as I wrote one post above, so it's nothing Android/UAPP related.

Either my S2 is faulty, or there is something wrong with the firmware or maybe the firmware update went wrong on my unit.

Dec 21, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #251 of 443
For those who are interested, my full detailed review of Lotoo PAW S2 is up!

lotoo-s2-14.jpg

Dec 21, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #252 of 443
For those who are interested, my full detailed review of Lotoo PAW S2 is up!

lotoo-s2-14.jpg

Thanks for the review and comparisons.

"switching from 4.4mm connected directly to 3.5mm with an adapter"
Is this representative of true balanced output? I have a hunch that joining left and right channels on a balanced output may be damaging to your device.

Dec 21, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #253 of 443
Thanks for the review and comparisons.

"switching from 4.4mm connected directly to 3.5mm with an adapter"
Is this representative of true balanced output? I have a hunch that joining left and right channels on a balanced output may be damaging to your device.

There shouldn't be any damage when using 4.4mm terminated cable vs using 4.4mm to 3.5mm adapter with the same cable to connect to 3.5mm port of S2.

I just updated my review to make that section less confusing :)

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2021 at 10:31 AM Post #254 of 443
Hello to Everyone here,

Although I'm a newcomer, I've been reading multiple Head-Fi forums for several months.

It all has started with my visit to the local store and service center in Moscow, Russia where I had a possibility to try out some higher-end IEMs, DAPs and other audio gear like dongle DAC-Amp and Bluetooth receivers for mobile use.

I ended up ordering the JH Audio custom earphones, and I also purchased the Lotoo PAW S2 from MusicTeck.

The order was placed on Black Friday, but international delivery took longer than usual.

So by now I've spent just a week with my S2, however I want to share my initial impressions with you.
I've also posted my thoughts in the comments section on the MusicTeck website.

I enjoy the build quality and the design of the S2.

As for its sound quality and features, I would add in that it has exceeded my expectations.

The S2 was supposed to feed my IEMs only (now I'm primarily using the Sennheiser IE80, but I will switch up to JH16V2 pretty soon).

In practice the S2 offered more than enough output power being paired up with my full-sized though not so demanding Pioneer SE-MS5T headphones.

It's performing well with my Android smartphone. And the remote control buttons are really useful.

The only thing I'm worried about is the power consumption. Because in the high gain mode and the volume being set on ~ 50%, the S2 has drained the power of my Galaxy S9+ by approximately 30% in just one hour or so...

The smartphone is almost 3 years in use, and perhaps the battery is not as strong as it was back in the day, but you will need some true powerhouse if you wish to get a long listening time while on the go.

I've yet to test the newly added Line-Out feature, but even now I'm already impressed by this little thing.

All in all, it's a good middle ground between such a miserable source as the most of modern smartphones are, and a mid-tier DAP (I'm keeping in mind Sony NW-ZX507).

Given the S2 is one of the class-leading gadgets by the end of 2021, it's nice to see this direction chosen by many producers of hi-fi audio gear.

Finally I want to thank everyone here who shared their opinions, because it helped me to make my choice (the right one, I think).

Dec 23, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #255 of 443
Hello to Everyone here,

Although I'm a newcomer, I've been reading multiple Head-Fi forums for several months.

It all has started with my visit to the local store and service center in Moscow, Russia where I had a possibility to try out some higher-end IEMs, DAPs and other audio gear like dongle DAC-Amp and Bluetooth receivers for mobile use.

I ended up ordering the JH Audio custom earphones, and I also purchased the Lotoo PAW S2 from MusicTeck.

The order was placed on Black Friday, but international delivery took longer than usual.

So by now I've spent just a week with my S2, however I want to share my initial impressions with you.
I've also posted my thoughts in the comments section on the MusicTeck website.

I enjoy the build quality and the design of the S2.

As for its sound quality and features, I would add in that it has exceeded my expectations.

The S2 was supposed to feed my IEMs only (now I'm primarily using the Sennheiser IE80, but I will switch up to JH16V2 pretty soon).

In practice the S2 offered more than enough output power being paired up with my full-sized though not so demanding Pioneer SE-MS5T headphones.

It's performing well with my Android smartphone. And the remote control buttons are really useful.

The only thing I'm worried about is the power consumption. Because in the high gain mode and the volume being set on ~ 50%, the S2 has drained the power of my Galaxy S9+ by approximately 30% in just one hour or so...

The smartphone is almost 3 years in use, and perhaps the battery is not as strong as it was back in the day, but you will need some true powerhouse if you wish to get a long listening time while on the go.

I've yet to test the newly added Line-Out feature, but even now I'm already impressed by this little thing.

All in all, it's a good middle ground between such a miserable source as the most of modern smartphones are, and a mid-tier DAP (I'm keeping in mind Sony NW-ZX507).

Given the S2 is one of the class-leading gadgets by the end of 2021, it's nice to see this direction chosen by many producers of hi-fi audio gear.

Finally I want to thank everyone here who shared their opinions, because it helped me to make my choice (the right one, I think).
30% in 1 hour seems a bit much to me, but I have not kept time with my S2.

I don't know if low gain saves battery, but I'd give it a try. Also because of sound quality :wink: A firmware update might be of help, although I have not checked the relase notes.

Mind that I have this beep issue with 96kHz streaming from Quobuz. This is reproducible with my S2 (with UAPP on Android and Roon on Windows) but I have not heard of others having this issue. I think it came with 2.0.0.4 update, but it might have been there before and I just did not listen to any 96 kHz Quobuz content in the short time I had the older firmware installed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back