Lotoo PAW S2 USB DAC AMP 150 mW@32 ohm 4.4 , MQA - New Firmware released 26 January 2.0.0.5 link added first post.
Nov 4, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #151 of 443
I would like to share my impressions of the PAW S2 (with comparisons with the PAW S1)

I had the PAW S2 for quite a while now and I utterly enjoyed it.

What I am getting out of the PAW S2 compared to the PAW S1 would be how the PAW S2 renders bass. There is just quite a bit more oopmh with the S2 compared to the S1. I feel that it sounds tight with better control compared to the PAW S1. To me, this was the single more prominent difference between the S1 and S2 during my first listen.

However, after some time, I realized that with my more resolving IEMs such as the Vision Ears VE7, the level of resolution that the S2 can output to me is more obvious than the S1. To me, there seems to be better micro-contrast especially with regards to depth rendering.

The additional power is also felt as my VE7 sounds like there is more control.

The S1 by comparison sounds a bit less dimensional in terms of depth and I find the dynamics of the S1 also less.

I listened to both with no effects on.

Nov 4, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #152 of 443
I would like to share my impressions of the PAW S2 (with comparisons with the PAW S1)

What I am getting out of the PAW S2 compared to the PAW S1 would be how the PAW S2 renders bass. There is just quite a bit more oopmh with the S2 compared to the S1. I feel that it sounds tight with better control compared to the PAW S1. To me, this was the single more prominent difference between the S1 and S2 during my first listen.

However, after some time, I realized that with my more resolving IEMs such as the Vision Ears VE7, the level of resolution that the S2 can output to me is more obvious than the S1. To me, there seems to be better micro-contrast especially with regards to depth rendering.

The S1 by comparison sounds a bit less dimensional in terms of depth and I find the dynamics of the S1 also less.

Great impression! Just curious, are both of your S1 & S2 already updated to their latest FW version 1.0.0.11?

My S1 sounded like having that additional “oomph” with a little bit improvement on its dynamics presentation as well, right after updating to latest FW.
Plus, for S2 vs S1 - (apart from power-output improvement + added button) they both are still rocking the exact same DAC Chip (AKM4377).

Wondering if the sound improvement I experienced on my S1 might be just one of those placebo effect OR my wallet’s hidden message on telling me not to upgrade to S2…

Nov 4, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #153 of 443
Great impression! Just curious, are both of your S1 & S2 already updated to their latest FW version 1.0.0.11?

My S1 sounded like having that additional “oomph” with a little bit improvement on its dynamics presentation as well, right after updating to latest FW.
Plus, for S2 vs S1 - (apart from power-output improvement + added button) they both are still rocking the exact same DAC Chip (AKM4377).

Wondering if the sound improvement I experienced on my S1 might be just one of those placebo effect OR my wallet’s hidden message on telling me not to upgrade to S2…

Honestly, I think there is more to do with implementation over the raw components. After all, my experience watching masterchef is that even with the same ingredients (components in this case) the results can vary.

Also with a reworked power section with the S2 would also indicate a new design in the amplification stage as well. If I am not wrong, the S2 has some new clocks in it to reduce jitter which can be the reason for this added micro-contrast.

I upgraded both to the latest firmware :)

Nov 4, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #154 of 443
Unless you are an audiophile purist who's trying to convince yourself that A will be better than B just by looking at the graph, it will all come down to comparison of functionality, features, and the actual sound with your IEMs/headphones of choice. After I updated S2 fw last night, I did more testing to check the app compatibility and to compare to W2. If you are going to base the decision purely on technical sound performance, W2 has some edge with a bit wider soundstage and slightly better dynamics, tested using 4.4mm output and Traillii w/First Time cable. From tonality perspective, it will be a matter of personal preference with W2 being brighter, more transparent, and more revealing in mids while S2 being smother, warmer, and with a little more body. One thing to keep in mind, due to chip shortage, L&P had to update W2 design, going from CS43198 to CS43131 dacs which could affect the final sound performance, though I will give L&P benefit of the doubt that changes will be kept down to minimum.

Now, in terms of functionality and smartphone compatibility, S2 has a noticeable upper edge due to less current draw (better compatibility with iPhone), improved redesigned cable (again, with iPhone you are getting now 5V instead of 3.8V like it was with previous otg cables from lotoo and l&p), both short and long usb-c otg cables, belt clip, LO (soon to be implemented in fw), MQA 4x (Win10 Tidal app or UAPP/Tidal on Android phone), and remote playback hw controls of play/pause/skip. The price is identical, if you factor in optical usb-c to lightning otg cable.
I hear it the way you describe it. I prefer the S2 over the W2 because I prefer its better bass response and the lower power draw. I just wish it had a case like the S1 does. Not a carrying case as I have that, but the case that protects it when in use. Maybe that is coming later.

Nov 4, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #155 of 443
It will have later via a firmware update.
This explains why I could not figure out how to put it into Line out mode. I tried to pair it with my C9 and the sound sucked.

Nov 5, 2021 at 12:48 AM Post #156 of 443

Nice One!

Nov 5, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #157 of 443
I just cant believed I pulled the trigger on the S2 today…(Coming from S1- for my iPhone) (kinda impulsive purchase tbh)

Right off the bat I think it worth the investment! Currently listening on it and most of the things improvements have been positive!

1 thing I can confirm is the EMI/RFI noise issue have been totally GONE!

Glad that nobody notices my psycho grin behind this mask while enjoying my music in the train… :ksc75smile:

Nov 9, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #161 of 443
Nov 9, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #162 of 443
Where can we buy the S2 in Europe? Thanks.

Here is a link to a Polish retailer: https://audeos.pl/lotoo-paw-s2

1,199/PLN - roughly €262 + 80/PLN shipping - roughly €17.50

Their website says they are an offical distributor for Lotoo

Note: I have never dealt with them before, I just found their website while searching online.

I am trying to decide between the S2 or W2...

Nov 9, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #163 of 443
Nov 10, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #165 of 443

Users who are viewing this thread

Back