Lotoo PAW S2 USB DAC AMP 150 mW@32 ohm 4.4 , MQA - New Firmware released 26 January 2.0.0.5 link added first post.
Oct 22, 2021 at 9:28 PM Post #124 of 443
I just received my Lotoo PAW S2 today. I dusted off my Lotoo PAW S1 and L&P W2 and did a couple hours of A/B/C testing with about a dozen tracks listening with my Empire Ears EVO. To my ear, the S2 is definitely an upgrade to the S1 and it is very comparable to the L&P W2 now. I have not listened to my S1 for more than 6 months because the W2 is significantly better, so I always bust out the W2 when I have a choice. My first impression is that I slightly prefer the S2 to the W2 because it has a cleaner presentation. The bass is slightly faster and the overall signature is very clear and transparent. I value that especially with the EVO.

I need to spend a lot more time listening with different IEMs and more music before I made a final decision on which I like better. But this is how I hear it now.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2021 at 9:31 PM Post #125 of 443
I just received my Lotoo PAW S2 today. I dusted off my Lotoo PAW S1 and L&P W2 and did a couple hours of A/B/C testing with about a dozen tracks listening with my Empire Ears EVO. To my ear, the S2 is definitely an upgrade to the S1 and it is very comparable to the L&P W2 now. I have not listened to my S1 for more than 6 months because the W2 is significantly better, so I always bust out the W2 when I have a choice. My first impression is that I slightly prefer the S2 to the W2 because it has a cleaner presentation. The bass is slightly faster and the overall signature is very clear and transparent. I value that especially with the EVO.
Thank you @HiFiHawaii808 ! This is exactly what I was waiting for. Comparison between the S2 and the W2 with the EVO.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2021 at 9:37 PM Post #126 of 443
Thank you @HiFiHawaii808 ! This is was exactly what I was waiting for. Comparison between the S2 and the W2 with the EVO.
Well, I have all 3 of these products. Let me know if you want for me to test anything for you.

The clarity and transparency and tightness (in a good way) of the sound is the most noticeable sound attribute. It really enhances the imaging and instrument and voice separation of the EVO. I really like this sound.

Oct 22, 2021 at 9:59 PM Post #128 of 443

I need to spend a lot more time listening with different IEMs and more music before I made a final decision on which I like better. But this is how I hear it now.
Almost everyone here describes s1 as being warm and w2 brighter... which way does s2 go? Still warm like S1?

Ícone Verificada pela comunidade

Oct 22, 2021 at 10:02 PM Post #129 of 443
@HiFiHawaii808

How is the battery consumption?
Not bad. Much better than the W2. I will be going on a 2 hour walk with it later today. That will tell me for sure.

I did pair it with my Hifiman HE1000v2 and it's not powerful enough to drive it sufficiently. I had it on 85. It wasn't distorting, but I don't like to listen with that little headroom. With the W2, same volume is at 75. I little better, but still too little headroom.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2021 at 10:06 PM Post #130 of 443
Almost everyone here describes s1 as being warm and w2 brighter... which way does s2 go? Still warm like S1?

Yes. Similar signature as the S1 along the lines that I would call the Lotoo house sound. But, the bass is faster and tighter and the sound is much more clear and transparent. They improved the S1 the way I would have wanted them to do it.

Remember, I am listening with Legend EVO. I will try it with Traillii tomorrow.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2021 at 10:12 PM Post #131 of 443
Yes. Similar signature as the S1 along the lines that I would call the Lotoo house sound. But, the bass is faster and tighter and the sound is much more clear and transparent. They improved the S1 the way I would have wanted them to do it.

Remember, I am listening with Legend EVO. I will try it with Traillii tomorrow.
Thank you very much for the answer... I await if possible also on the comparative on sound stage in relation to the other two.

Oct 25, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #134 of 443
Hello,

New member here with several observations and a question.

I have had the PAW-S2 for several weeks now, but couldn’t listen to it much because both the original 30cm lightening cable, and a replacement, failed within a matter of hours! While these longer cables worked the sound was somewhat harsh. I would advise caution when ordering the longer cable.

Finally got the 6.5cm cable and can finally hear how good this DAC/amp is with my iPhone + Penon Sphere IEM’s (streaming Qobuz). Vast improvement over my iPhone 6s headphone jack, the Apple dangle, and the Zorloo Ztella dangle. For the first time I can hear space, instrument separation and fine detail. Cymbal sound is detailed and fairly realistic, which it never had been before. Good PRAT and emotionally involving, particularly with good recordings. Perhaps just a tad bright for my tastes, but have yet to burn in fully. Quite happy, and thrilled with the controls - since I listen a lot while riding a bike, and have been fishing my phone out of my pocket to skip tracks.

My question is: has anyone tried to drive Dethonray’s Tender IEM’s? I understand that they are quite power hungry and prefer >200mw, but I am hoping to get by with the PAW S2.

Thanks everyone,

Thermist

Oct 25, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #135 of 443
I was going to buy S1, but now I think I should wait bit more, S2 seems more promising.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back