Lotoo PAW S2 USB DAC AMP 150 mW@32 ohm 4.4 , MQA - New Firmware released 26 January 2.0.0.5 link added first post.
May 20, 2023 at 2:42 AM Post #421 of 443
Doesn’t the Cayin ru7 have it? I guess it’s not hardware based?
It's noted in the RU7 thread that it's a shared LO (similar to a maxed volume output used as LO) and some people pointed that S2 has an LO so I'm checking it out.
I had that setup with my S1 for a while. Did work well.

20211221_113640.jpg
This is nice. I'll look around to demo an S1 or S2 with the C9. Thanks for sharing.

Nov 13, 2023 at 8:53 AM Post #424 of 443
I am wondering if Lotoo will release a new USB dongle to catch up with other big names in the field, L&P, Cayin, etc.
Maybe they will skip number 3 and it will be called S4.
It’s very good for its size and functionality. I am still using mine and will for years

Nov 13, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #426 of 443
I've moved to L&P W4. A dongle at a different level.
How much? I have a DAP that blows a lot out of the water and an RU6 that’s very good with old songs, especially old records recording - soft and velvety.

Nov 13, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #428 of 443
I've moved to L&P W4. A dongle at a different level.
it just shows how subjective audio can be. L&P W4 was too dry for me and reminded upgraded version of DFR. forward and slightly lean with Utopia with certain edge to the sound which doesn't go well with brighter headphones. I can perfectly see that some folks would prefer this presentation as SQ is really good.

I think W4 is better fit for warmer headphones as I enjoyed it more on D7200. To me biggest advantage of S2 is that it has smooth, yet technical presentation were nothing seems forced. I can pair it with Utopia, D7200, D9200 and just have fun with music where W4 to my ears carries slight forwardness which is very common with such dongles.
If size is not an issue I would take Mojo2 instead of W4. Technically sits above W4, but yet sounds smoother with adjustable EQ settings

Nov 13, 2023 at 3:33 PM Post #429 of 443
it just shows how subjective audio can be. L&P W4 was too dry for me and reminded upgraded version of DFR. forward and slightly lean with Utopia with certain edge to the sound which doesn't go well with brighter headphones. I can perfectly see that some folks would prefer this presentation as SQ is really good.

I think W4 is better fit for warmer headphones as I enjoyed it more on D7200. To me biggest advantage of S2 is that it has smooth, yet technical presentation were nothing seems forced. I can pair it with Utopia, D7200, D9200 and just have fun with music where W4 to my ears carries slight forwardness which is very common with such dongles.
If size is not an issue I would take Mojo2 instead of W4. Technically sits above W4, but yet sounds smoother with adjustable EQ settings
I think all manufacturers should disclose what gear was used in tuning and the music, as well as that will tell you if you're getting a match or not. it's less about the person and the chain in my opinion as some chains for me work, but if I swap the IEM or headphone out it's a whole different ballgame, and then the music also plays a bigger part.

Nov 13, 2023 at 4:07 PM Post #430 of 443
I think all manufacturers should disclose what gear was used in tuning and the music, as well as that will tell you if you're getting a match or not. it's less about the person and the chain in my opinion as some chains for me work, but if I swap the IEM or headphone out it's a whole different ballgame, and then the music also plays a bigger part.
Given the shear number of IEMs and music, it seems unlikely that the coverage that any company can have in their tuning will be more than a minute fraction of all possible transducers, music, and personal taste…

Nov 13, 2023 at 4:11 PM Post #431 of 443
Given the shear number of IEMs and music, it seems unlikely that the coverage that any company can have in their tuning will be more than a minute fraction of all possible transducers, music, and personal taste…
Every IEM is tuned to a specific music/gear - or they would all have the same graph (more or less). Some headphones are almost a must with tubes; others are not. There's a trend. And the manufactures should give us an indication of what direction to go. Some are tuned for Rock, some for classic, etc.,

Nov 13, 2023 at 8:16 PM Post #432 of 443
Every IEM is tuned to a specific music/gear - or they would all have the same graph (more or less). Some headphones are almost a must with tubes; others are not. There's a trend. And the manufactures should give us an indication of what direction to go. Some are tuned for Rock, some for classic, etc.,
Of course you are right - they had to use specific gear in their tuning. What I was trying to say is that the number of possible combinations is very large and the practical number of combinations that can actually be used is very small. I don’t think - and I might be wrong - that knowing how they did the specific tuning and testing will tell you much since it is very unlikely you will have precisely the same setup. But, of course, being given more information is better than being given less information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back