Lotoo PAW S1 - Designed for HIFI on the go with Lotoo PAW quality and the first USB DAC-AMP with dual 3.5mm & 4.4mm output
Jul 26, 2021 at 8:46 AM Post #2,071 of 2,329
I am playing on UAPP through tidal. I noticed this issue was not earlier as far as I can remember, but facing it now. Dont know why all the 16 bit and 24 bit songs are upscaled to 32 bit.
I believe it upsamples to 32 bit for the digital volume, then as you attenuate you don't go below 24 bits or more likely 16 bits and so can keep it mostly bit perfect. This is pretty common I believe, just that other digital volume setups likely don't show you the upsampled bit rate. Here is a little write-up if interested https://www.psaudio.com/pauls-posts/digital-volume-controls/

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #2,072 of 2,329
As the tidal native android app now detecting the MQA only DAC - Can anybody confirm that PAW S1 was detected by the Tidal Native Andriod App? As app bypass the Andriod Volume Stack - Sound output is the same as UAPP for PAW S1 ?

Jul 27, 2021 at 6:05 PM Post #2,073 of 2,329
Might just be an issue with my S1 but when choosing to let the Tidal app access the DAC the sample rate and bit depth, and all other things like MQA, are displayed properly but the sound is entirely messed up. No problems using via UAPP. Latest firmware on the S1. Doesn't happen with any other DAC either. Anyone else tried?

Jul 28, 2021 at 5:24 AM Post #2,074 of 2,329
Might just be an issue with my S1 but when choosing to let the Tidal app access the DAC the sample rate and bit depth, and all other things like MQA, are displayed properly but the sound is entirely messed up. No problems using via UAPP. Latest firmware on the S1. Doesn't happen with any other DAC either. Anyone else tried?
Same with S1

Jul 28, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #2,075 of 2,329
Same

Jul 29, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #2,076 of 2,329
I had a similar distorted sound out of my S1 And I thought its a problem with my Android phone and just ignored it as the S1 works perfectly with my Ipad air and Windows laptop.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2021 at 9:44 AM Post #2,077 of 2,329
As far as I can tell, it is limited to Android when allowing the native Tidal app access to the S1 when prompted. Not something that's going to cause me to lose any sleep over it, but still, it would be nice if it worked for those times when you want/need to listen offline...

Aug 12, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #2,078 of 2,329
I was testing out iOS 15 Public Beta on an iPhone 12 Mini to use the new function “Spatialize Stereo”. This isn’t their heavily touted new ATMOS or Spatial Audio stuff; rather, it’s supposed to do some DSP magic to plain old stereo and make it sound like it’s coming from speakers. I didn’t know what to expect, so playing around with it I found it sounded very similar to the S1’s “Farfield” ATE preset. For me, the S1‘s ”Nearfield” and “Farfield” presets are usefull as a kind of Crossfeed-Low and Crossfeed-High DSP respectively. So if you are used to some crossfeed on old stereo mixes with large left-right channel separation (which to me just sounds weird with IEMs), try the Nearfield and Farfield presets on the S1.

And when iOS 15 comes out, if you have recent Airpods (Pro/Max) or Beats [it only works with Apple wireless phones], then remember the “Spatialize Stereo” setting behind the volume slider in the control panel, for those times when you want a little crossfeed. I’ve come to rely on quick access to crossfeed since I have a remote button programmed to toggle Crossfeed-2 on/off on my RME ADI-2 DAC desktop setup.

Cheers,
Gus

Aug 16, 2021 at 6:26 AM Post #2,079 of 2,329
This will be a bit silly... But do you guys reckon that it's safe if I use the lotoo paw s1's 4.4 headphone out as a "line-out" and connect to the 4.4 line in port of the ifi Zen Can ? I'm a bit clueless when it comes to balanced anything, so I just want to be sure.

Aug 16, 2021 at 7:44 AM Post #2,080 of 2,329
Yes it's safe. To prevent clipping I would keep the s1 volume about 70 to 80 percent.

Aug 18, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #2,082 of 2,329
Anyone here managed to get the PAW S1 working with Tidal bit perfect on android? Maybe a different firmware? My hidizs sonata HD dac cable froze the tidal app completely, so I wanted to be sure before spending money on a new DAC.

Aug 18, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #2,083 of 2,329
@kemba1291 Afraid not. A few of us have reported that we have issues when allowing Tidal to access the DAC through the app. It only seems to be a problem with the S1, works fine with my Meridian Explorer 2 and the Apple Dongle. I was going to email Lotoo about it but never got around to it. Maybe if someone less lazy made them aware (if they're not already) of it they may fix things in a future update.

Aug 18, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #2,084 of 2,329
@kemba1291 Afraid not. A few of us have reported that we have issues when allowing Tidal to access the DAC through the app. It only seems to be a problem with the S1, works fine with my Meridian Explorer 2 and the Apple Dongle. I was going to email Lotoo about it but never got around to it. Maybe if someone less lazy made them aware (if they're not already) of it they may fix things in a future update.
That's too bad, I was pretty sold on the S1. I actually had a hidizs sonata hd cable, but it completely freezes the tidal app when given usb audio access. I have sent a mail to Tidal for more information regarding this, guess I'll shoot one to Lotoo as well. I just hope they respond to english mails, the entire website is in chinese.

Aug 18, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #2,085 of 2,329
Anyone here managed to get the PAW S1 working with Tidal bit perfect on android? Maybe a different firmware? My hidizs sonata HD dac cable froze the tidal app completely, so I wanted to be sure before spending money on a new DAC.

I thought you need UAPP for that, to access Tidal through it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back