Lotoo PAW S1 - Designed for HIFI on the go with Lotoo PAW quality and the first USB DAC-AMP with dual 3.5mm & 4.4mm output
Jul 9, 2021 at 12:18 AM Post #2,041 of 2,329
Got my S1 and it works very well on my 4th gen Ipad Air and Windows 10 laptop. But it has distorted sound on my Android 10 device.

My primary iem is the CFA Andromeda 2020 and the sound out of the 4.4 balanced is very good but not as good as my DX160 out on balanced. Overall pretty pleased with the S1, though have to try some more Android devices to find out if the issue is with my S1 or the Android device.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2021 at 6:25 AM Post #2,042 of 2,329
@Gus141, Interesting that you had EMI/RFI with yours. I received mine two weeks ago (MFG date Jun 2021) and so far had no issues when using iPhone 12 and 12 Pro Max with S1 using Lotoo's orignal Lightning to USB-C cable. I also had no issues when using a generic (Energea) USB-A to USB-C when connecting with my Thinkpad laptop.

However, I did hear the interference when using ddHifi's Lightning to C (TC28i) + Lotoo's C-to-C cable so not sure if it was the TC28i or the cable inducing the interference. In any case, the RF choke idea should hopefully solve this.

So far I am still loving the IE800 + S1 pairing. Insane stage depth and height, instrument separation/presentation, detail revival etc that makes me question how I used to connect it directly to my Samsung S7E and iPhone dongle for most of last two years. I have W2 incoming and the look forward to the difference but S1 has set a damn high bar for me. Caveat is it doesn't sound so great on my AKT8ie MK II with ddHifi 2.5mm->4.4mm jack. Everything sounds too bass forward and congested vs the IE800 pairing.

Honestly, if I didn't read through the whole 200+ h-f forum pages of hype on W2, I would have been super happy with S1+IE800 anyway. Now I dread W2 may not live up to the hype :beyersmile:
I absolutely agree with you experience on IE800 + S1 pairing, I am using the same and it sounds superb…

however I also tried sennheiser hd660s with 3.5mm out and with high gain Upto 80 volume the sound is good but I feel it lacks the airy top end which I get a lot and spoilt by the IE800, bass and mids on HD660s is fine though with S1…does it means it’s not being properly amped or it’s how the sound signature of HD660s is ? I recently got HD660s so have not much experience on its sound signature though.

hows your experience with higher impedance headphones close to 150 ohms like HD 660s?

also how’s will it pair with hifiman Sundara which I am planning to get as well…

overall I am very impressed with S1 I just wished it was a bit less bulky and smaller compared to shanling U2 which I also have

Jul 9, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #2,043 of 2,329
I absolutely agree with you experience on IE800 + S1 pairing, I am using the same and it sounds superb…

however I also tried sennheiser hd660s with 3.5mm out and with high gain Upto 80 volume the sound is good but I feel it lacks the airy top end which I get a lot and spoilt by the IE800, bass and mids on HD660s is fine though with S1…does it means it’s not being properly amped or it’s how the sound signature of HD660s is ? I recently got HD660s so have not much experience on its sound signature though.

hows your experience with higher impedance headphones close to 150 ohms like HD 660s?

also how’s will it pair with hifiman Sundara which I am planning to get as well…

overall I am very impressed with S1 I just wished it was a bit less bulky and smaller compared to shanling U2 which I also have
Hi Saj,

I say no go for anything about 32 ohms. HD660s have 150 ohm impedance and S1 won't have sufficient power headroom imo (at least on single ended). I don't have a balanced full sized headphone to test the balanced out power but for single ended, based on my DT770 pro / 80 ohms and HD600/300 ohms, S1 works and is loud enough but both are underpowered (YMMV). This is in contrast to using the HD600 with Chord Mojo and O2/ODAC amp where it's properly driven.

Based on online reviews, I would recommend you look at iFi Zen DAC/CAN or Schiit Magni 3 etc instead of going dongle route. There's the Luxury & Precision W2 dongle but I'm not convinced it will be enough for high impedance full-sized high headphones either. However, mine is still en route and stuck somewhere in China :beyersmile: Happy to report back when I get it in 2-3 weeks. Sorry, can't comment on Sundara as I don't have those.

To be honest, I'm happy with the IE800+S1 that my flagship Beyer T1 OG and HD600 are in their boxes. Edge cases for S1 are classical music, philharmonic orchestras with high dynamic range, older tracks mixed at lower volumes and general Youtube videos are where I put S1 at 100 High Gain on IE800 just to get good volume. And that's why I am trying out the W2.

Jul 14, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #2,050 of 2,329
That's all ?
In addition, I have the following recommended settings from the LG V30 tip/tricks post here on head-fi ... I do use a LG V30+ and LG V40.
Recommended Settings:
Under "Settings"->"Internal audio driver", select "HiRes Direct Driver".
Under "Settings"->"HiRes Audio"->"HiRes driver flags", toggle on "Direct PCM" and "MQA". N.B. If your V30 is running Oreo or Pie (Android 8 or 9), you only need to turn on the "MQA" option here.
Under "Settings"->"HiRes driver audio format", leave this option as "Auto".
Under "Settings"->"HiRes Audio"->"Buffer Size", I recommend using a 600 millisecond buffer length.
One recommendation though - when using UAPP to drive an external DAC, you might need to increase the buffer size in "Settings->USB Audio Tweaks" beyond the default. I find 8192 frames works well.)

Jul 14, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #2,051 of 2,329
In addition, I have the following recommended settings from the LG V30 tip/tricks post here on head-fi ... I do use a LG V30+ and LG V40.
Recommended Settings:
Under "Settings"->"Internal audio driver", select "HiRes Direct Driver".
Under "Settings"->"HiRes Audio"->"HiRes driver flags", toggle on "Direct PCM" and "MQA". N.B. If your V30 is running Oreo or Pie (Android 8 or 9), you only need to turn on the "MQA" option here.
Under "Settings"->"HiRes driver audio format", leave this option as "Auto".
Under "Settings"->"HiRes Audio"->"Buffer Size", I recommend using a 600 millisecond buffer length.
One recommendation though - when using UAPP to drive an external DAC, you might need to increase the buffer size in "Settings->USB Audio Tweaks" beyond the default. I find 8192 frames works well.)
Many thanks for the recommended settings....I'll try them. But I use a Samsung smartphone (Android 11).

Jul 20, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #2,052 of 2,329
Is this me or anyone else facing this issue on paw s1? While playing any high res lossless song through my lg g7 lets say - 24 bit 196khz but my device shows 48khz/16bit all the time. Am I missing something?
Even if the file says 24 bit my dac shows 32 bit. Lol which is quite impossible I know, but this is what am facing.
Tried playing through apple music and even downloaded flac song.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #2,053 of 2,329
Is this me or anyone else facing this issue on paw s1? While playing any high res lossless song through my lg g7 lets say - 24 bit 196khz but my device shows 48khz/16bit all the time. Am I missing something?
Even if the file says 24 bit my dac shows 32 bit. Lol which is quite impossible I know, but this is what am facing.
I don’t know about the first question. However, I think the second was answered previously as likely being 0s appended to the upper 8 bits, so no impact to the audio as there is no information there.

Jul 20, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #2,054 of 2,329

Android phones generally do not support hi-res audio unless you use the USB Audio Player Pro app to correct for this. Regarding the bit depth, I believe the S1 upscales all files to 32 bit, at least I’ve seen other DACs do the same.

Jul 21, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #2,055 of 2,329
Hi guys, i just bought the PAW S1 but have many problems when using it in my pocket with my iPhone. Connection is not very stable of the cable, its a mechanical issue, cause when I jiggle it a bit it finds connection again. Tested this on my Macbook, same issue but happens less.

Is this a case of a poor cable quality that they use? The problem is always on the side of the PAW USB-C-side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back