Lotoo PAW S1 - Designed for HIFI on the go with Lotoo PAW quality and the first USB DAC-AMP with dual 3.5mm & 4.4mm output
Jul 4, 2021 at 2:29 AM Post #2,026 of 2,329
I had a few experiences with EMI noise when I first got the S1.
I purchased a Ferrite Core and no such noise since the last 1 week I have been using it.
IMG_20210629_213246.jpg

IMG_20210629_213214.jpg

Jul 4, 2021 at 3:16 AM Post #2,027 of 2,329
Any apple music beta users here on android? It now has lossless for android. Reason i asked is i know android phones downsample the bitrate even on an external dac unless you use uapp app. However just recently i tried my paw s1 on my s21 ultra running apple music beta and lossless/ hi-res lossless bitrates are being indicated on the paw s1, does this mean its bypassing the android default setting? Thanks in advance :)

Jul 4, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #2,028 of 2,329
Any apple music beta users here on android? It now has lossless for android. Reason i asked is i know android phones downsample the bitrate even on an external dac unless you use uapp app. However just recently i tried my paw s1 on my s21 ultra running apple music beta and lossless/ hi-res lossless bitrates are being indicated on the paw s1, does this mean its bypassing the android default setting? Thanks in advance :)
Unfortunately, You can't bypass this android issue. Android always resamples bit rate and frequency to 24bit/48kHz. Using the UAPP app is the only way to go. However, using higher bit rates than aforementioned for regular listening is absolutely pointless. You won't be able to spot any differences between 24/48 and 24/192 or higher (look for the evidence and expertise). You would have to turn the volume at the level of 140-150 dB what would result in complete hearing loss lol :D Actually, finding any differences between CD quality (16/44.1) and 24/48 is almost impossible too. The proper mastering, not bitrates define detectable sound quality features.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2021 at 8:43 PM Post #2,029 of 2,329
Unfortunately, You can't bypass this android issue. Android always resamples bit rate and frequency to 24bit/48kHz. Using the UAPP app is the only way to go. However, using higher bit rates than aforementioned for regular listening is absolutely pointless. You won't be able to spot any differences between 24/48 and 24/192 or higher (look for the evidence and expertise). You would have to turn the volume at the level of 140-150 dB what would result in complete hearing loss lol :D Actually, finding any differences between CD quality (16/44.1) and 24/48 is almost impossible too. The proper mastering, not bitrates define detectable sound quality features.

I tend to agree with the ability to differentiate between, let’s say, 24/48 vs 24/192 using headphones. The differences are much more noticeable on a high quality speaker system, but it does take a practiced ear. Since many of the hi res titles are re-mastered, this likely is the reason for any sonic difference using hi res files with headphones. ✌️

Jul 4, 2021 at 9:15 PM Post #2,030 of 2,329

Most android phones resample to 24/48 over USB, but not all, especially recent devices with latest Android. If your USB DAC is showing the the original sample rate then your phone isn't resampling. That's a good thing.

Jul 6, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #2,031 of 2,329
BFB566D7-5206-4DDA-B683-4F208772F103.jpeg

Just got this as a kind belated birthday present from the kind folks at JabenSG. 🙏

Jul 6, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #2,032 of 2,329
BFB566D7-5206-4DDA-B683-4F208772F103.jpeg
Just got this as a kind belated birthday present from the kind folks at JabenSG. 🙏

Congrats, I’m quite happy with the one I purchased recently. How do you like the leather case?

Jul 6, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #2,033 of 2,329
Congrats, I’m quite happy with the one I purchased recently. How do you like the leather case?
It's nifty and well thought out. Especially the back pocket for the OTG cable

Jul 6, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #2,035 of 2,329
938311E3-EFE6-4EE4-8E73-D964A53F1F58.jpeg

Was using my iPhone as a Roon endpoint. MQA worked as well. :)

Jul 7, 2021 at 7:52 PM Post #2,036 of 2,329
Actually i had the same issue. I contacted with Lotoo and they replaced the cable. Now it connects every time without any issue. I highly suggest you to ask for a replacement. Otherwise wiggling the cable may damage the ipad which can be a bitter experience.

Thanks again for commenting on the Lotoo lightning cable; I received my replacement earlier today and it works perfectly from the first attempted connection to several more just to ensure it worked. ✌️

Jul 8, 2021 at 10:11 PM Post #2,037 of 2,329
I just posted a gushing comment on the W2 thread praising that dongle; but, I also mentioned there I was preferring the S1 with my iPhone 12 Mini. For those following both threads I did want to mention one problem with S1 though: I do have some EMI/RFI(?) interference with S1 connected to my iPhone or iPad if I have the S1 very close to the device. In other words, I can’t velcro the S1 to the iPhone or iPad, I have to let the “dongle dangle” (that’s a fun phrase) and not let the S1 touch the device or get within about a half-inch, otherwise I get interference (mostly clicks and buzzes).

If I move the S1 a half-inch away from the iPhone or iPad: no interference.

The W2, does not have any interference for me on the same devices with the same cables no matter how close.

Since this is an S1 thread (and not a W2 one), I will say that I’m posting here because even though I mainly listen through the W2, I still prefer the S1 vs the W2 when using my iPhone 12 Mini, mainly due to power reasons, and you should know the EMI/RFI issue is real but avoidable (and honestly, not that noticeable when music is playing). So if your use case is mostly via an iPhone, be aware there may be EMI/RFI, but it is manageable.

Cheers,
Gus

Jul 8, 2021 at 10:26 PM Post #2,038 of 2,329
Thanks again for commenting on the Lotoo lightning cable; I received my replacement earlier today and it works perfectly from the first attempted connection to several more just to ensure it worked. ✌️
That's great news! I'm glad that I could help. Enjoy!

Jul 8, 2021 at 11:43 PM Post #2,039 of 2,329
I just posted a gushing comment on the W2 thread praising that dongle; but, I also mentioned there I was preferring the S1 with my iPhone 12 Mini. For those following both threads I did want to mention one problem with S1 though: I do have some EMI/RFI(?) interference with S1 connected to my iPhone or iPad if I have the S1 very close to the device. In other words, I can’t velcro the S1 to the iPhone or iPad, I have to let the “dongle dangle” (that’s a fun phrase) and not let the S1 touch the device or get within about a half-inch, otherwise I get interference (mostly clicks and buzzes).

The W2, does not have any interference for me on the same devices with the same cables no matter how close.

Since this is an S1 thread (and not a W2 one), I will say that I’m posting here because even though I mainly listen through the W2, I still prefer the S1 vs the W2 when using my iPhone 12 Mini, mainly due to power reasons, and you should know the EMI/RFI issue is real but avoidable (and honestly, not that noticeable when music is playing). So if your use case is mostly via an iPhone, be aware there may be EMI/RFI, but it is manageable.

Cheers,
Gus

Hey Gus,

Thanks for your post about the S1. I found the cable can act as an antenna and pick up rfi from one’s device, so using an inexpensive RFI choke on the cable can solve this issue as well. ✌️

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2021 at 12:05 AM Post #2,040 of 2,329

Cheers,
Gus
@Gus141, Interesting that you had EMI/RFI with yours. I received mine two weeks ago (MFG date Jun 2021) and so far had no issues when using iPhone 12 and 12 Pro Max with S1 using Lotoo's orignal Lightning to USB-C cable. I also had no issues when using a generic (Energea) USB-A to USB-C when connecting with my Thinkpad laptop.

However, I did hear the interference when using ddHifi's Lightning to C (TC28i) + Lotoo's C-to-C cable so not sure if it was the TC28i or the cable inducing the interference. In any case, the RF choke idea should hopefully solve this.

So far I am still loving the IE800 + S1 pairing. Insane stage depth and height, instrument separation/presentation, detail revival etc that makes me question how I used to connect it directly to my Samsung S7E and iPhone dongle for most of last two years. I have W2 incoming and the look forward to the difference but S1 has set a damn high bar for me. Caveat is it doesn't sound so great on my AKT8ie MK II with ddHifi 2.5mm->4.4mm jack. Everything sounds too bass forward and congested vs the IE800 pairing.

Honestly, if I didn't read through the whole 200+ h-f forum pages of hype on W2, I would have been super happy with S1+IE800 anyway. Now I dread W2 may not live up to the hype :beyersmile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back