Lotoo PAW S1 - Designed for HIFI on the go with Lotoo PAW quality and the first USB DAC-AMP with dual 3.5mm & 4.4mm output
Jun 24, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #2,011 of 2,329
Jun 24, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #2,012 of 2,329
Is the RFI choke the gray thingy on the cable to the iPad? Where can you buy an RFI choke?

Amazon and eBay sell chokes, but you have to buy in batches. There is a seller on eBay that sells a lot of 5 for about $5 shipped.

Jun 24, 2021 at 6:39 PM Post #2,013 of 2,329
Amazon and eBay sell chokes, but you have to buy in batches. There is a seller on eBay that sells a lot of 5 for about $5 shipped.

I just ordered this one, good variety for all cable sizes.

Jun 24, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #2,014 of 2,329
Jun 24, 2021 at 7:22 PM Post #2,015 of 2,329
So, I made the mistake of not reading the firmware update doc and updated straight from 1.0.0.7 to 1.0.0.10. Now my S1 won't play nice with the Tidal desktop app on my Mac, regardless of whether I'm trying to use MQA or not. I tried installing the 1.0.0.8 firmware, but nothing happens, the device just says "Waiting". I'm not sure if maybe the device won't allow downgrades?

Anyone have any ideas on what I can try in order to get the 1.0.0.8 version installed? Thx.

Jun 25, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #2,016 of 2,329
So, I made the mistake of not reading the firmware update doc and updated straight from 1.0.0.7 to 1.0.0.10. Now my S1 won't play nice with the Tidal desktop app on my Mac, regardless of whether I'm trying to use MQA or not. I tried installing the 1.0.0.8 firmware, but nothing happens, the device just says "Waiting". I'm not sure if maybe the device won't allow downgrades?

Anyone have any ideas on what I can try in order to get the 1.0.0.8 version installed? Thx.
That is strange. I got my Paw S1 today and it came with firmware 1.0.0.7. When I try to update it to 1.0.0.10 it won't let me, said that there is not enough disk space.
The problem is solved when I first update to 1.0.0.8, then to 1.0.0.10.

Didn't really use Tidal so can't tell what the problem is.

Jun 25, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #2,017 of 2,329
Just join the Paw S1 club today and so far I really like the quality and sound of this dongle.
However I've a few question that I hope to clarify with fellow users here :)

First is about the volume:
Currently I'm using IEM Moondrop blessing 2. It is relatively easy to drive IEM, when plug directly to my iphone 6s (using 3.5 SE) I usually listen at around 60-70% of volume.
However when I'm using Paw S1 at low gain, I need to crank up the volume to around 75-80, and high gain at 45-55. It confused me because while I'm reading this thread I came across users that are saying low gain at around 30 is loud enough and even high gain at 1 is too loud. I guess this is subject to source and what IEM is used but the difference huge there.

Second is about the interference
So far I only used it for few hours but I haven't heard any interference, including commuting and taking train/metro while using cellular data. Also tried putting it in my pocket, back of the phone etc and didn't hear any interference. Could it be newer model have resolve this issue or the firmware update? or this issue will be more obvious using 4.4 balanced? Currently using 3.5mm SE.

Can anyone share their experience on this?

Cheers!

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2021 at 6:08 AM Post #2,018 of 2,329
Just got my lps1. The sound quality blows away the helm bolt I've been using so far. But I did notice some rfi crackling with the 4.4 connection which seems to disappear once I put the note9 in airplane mode.
I think this dongle is a gem. Should easily bring ones phone on par with 600$ stand alone daps. In fact its really close to my Kann with the balanced outputs.

Jun 26, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #2,019 of 2,329
Hi all,

Should I get the LTS1 over LPW2? Looking for a portable+tiny dongle dac/amp for evening walks with iPhone 12 Pro Max + IE800. Currently using the Apple $10 dongle for walks and Mojo for sit downs and it sounds pretty good but wanna upgrade. Read through both threads and conclusion seems to be L&P W2> Lotoo PAW S1 and DC03 etc for SQ. Unfortunately W2 still not available in Malaysia so wondering if I should just take the Lotoo PAW S1 and move on.

I like that the LTS1 is half price and in stock but wonder if the 2x price is worth it for SQ? I generally listed to Kpop, female vocalists but reference Daft Punk's RAM, Metallica Black Album, Charli XCX Pop 2, Lana Del Rey and Lorde.

I also don't care about the EQ, filters, MQA etc. Will run it on default low gain for the IE800. However, concerned about the S1's EMI/RFI etc as using iP12PM.

Look forward to your thoughts :) LTS1 in my e-cart already just justifying the wallet spend :):beyersmile:

Jun 26, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #2,020 of 2,329
Hi all,

Should I get the LTS1 over LPW2? Looking for a portable+tiny dongle dac/amp for evening walks with iPhone 12 Pro Max + IE800. Currently using the Apple $10 dongle for walks and Mojo for sit downs and it sounds pretty good but wanna upgrade. Read through both threads and conclusion seems to be L&P W2> Lotoo PAW S1 and DC03 etc for SQ. Unfortunately W2 still not available in Malaysia so wondering if I should just take the Lotoo PAW S1 and move on.

I like that the LTS1 is half price and in stock but wonder if the 2x price is worth it for SQ? I generally listed to Kpop, female vocalists but reference Daft Punk's RAM, Metallica Black Album, Charli XCX Pop 2, Lana Del Rey and Lorde.

I also don't care about the EQ, filters, MQA etc. Will run it on default low gain for the IE800. However, concerned about the S1's EMI/RFI etc as using iP12PM.

Look forward to your thoughts :) LTS1 in my e-cart already just justifying the wallet spend :):beyersmile:
I really didn’t noticed much difference if any between sound quality on both. For me, I also found the W2 to have more EMI noise while using my FH5 over balanced on a 12 Pro. I also thought the S1 was better built.

For me I returned the W2 and kept the S1.

Jun 26, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #2,021 of 2,329
Hi all,

I had both for a long time. W2 is superior to S1 in any way, more powerful also. If you don't mind no MQA decoding just get the W2 and you will thank me later
The difference in sound between the two is huge !

Jun 28, 2021 at 11:34 PM Post #2,023 of 2,329
I commented earlier that the Lotoo lightning cable was picky about connecting to my iPad, but I found out if I wiggle the inserted cable sideways a bit, I can make a connection.
Actually i had the same issue. I contacted with Lotoo and they replaced the cable. Now it connects every time without any issue. I highly suggest you to ask for a replacement. Otherwise wiggling the cable may damage the ipad which can be a bitter experience.

Jun 29, 2021 at 12:10 AM Post #2,024 of 2,329
Actually i had the same issue. I contacted with Lotoo and they replaced the cable. Now it connects every time without any issue. I highly suggest you to ask for a replacement. Otherwise wiggling the cable may damage the ipad which can be a bitter experience.

Thank you for your reply, I’ll get on it ✌️

Jul 3, 2021 at 2:53 AM Post #2,025 of 2,329
Hi friends,

Just received my S1 and been using it for a bit. Here are my initial thoughts:
1. Amazing match with my IE800, everything sounds wider, deeper, fuller (results from proper amplification) and close to Chord Mojo. Keep getting goosebumps relistening to my whole library today :ksc75smile:
2. EMI/RFI: This was my biggest worry but thankfully haven't noticed EMI/RFI from my iPhone 12 Pro Max, laptop etc. -- unlike Chord Mojo where it was obvious. My batch was made in June 2021 (can post pics later), maybe Lotoo added some interference protection in later versions? I'm also using the Lotoo Lightning to USB cable if that helps
3. In terms of power, good enough for IEMs but forget about full sized headphones
a. I guess I listen on louder side and am using 100% volume on Low Gain, single ended for my IE800 and it's ideal
b. Subjectively, 100% on low gain is roughly 70% High Gain
c. I tried the high gain 100% single ended on DT770 Pro 80 ohm, HD600 300 ohms and wasn't impressed. It gets sufficiently loud but not properly amped when compared to Chord Mojo/O2 dac/amp.

Overall, very happy with the purchase in terms of usability, stability, SQ for IEMs etc but you need to set expectations about driving full sized headphones.

Thoughts vs L&P W2:
I haven't tried it but will only consider it if you really need more power for harder to drive IEMs. Consensus is W2 is a more neutral and detailed source with more power output ceiling (125mW for W2 vs 70mW for S1, single ended), but with the S1 already having a bit of headroom for IEMs, I think I made the right choice with a slightly warm source for half the price. For full-sized headphones, full sized DAPs/desktop amps should be the way to go.

Disclaimer: I am mostly using the single-ended output and only balanced for AKT8ie mk II and use 44.1kHz/32bit output from imported Apple Music tracks and Spotify Very High. I am not using Tidal MQA or other DSD features so can't comment on those.

Hope this helps anyone trying to decide. Let me know if you have any questions. Cheers! :beerchug:

Update after additional use:: There seems to be a bit of EMI/RFI when I used the ddHifi TC28i + Lotoo's USB-C to USB-C cable but not when using Lotoo's OG Lightning to USB-C. Something to watch out for.

Hi all,

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back