Lotoo PAW S1 - Designed for HIFI on the go with Lotoo PAW quality and the first USB DAC-AMP with dual 3.5mm & 4.4mm output
Jun 18, 2021 at 9:25 PM Post #1,996 of 2,329
The one issue I’m having with the Lotoo lightning cable is that often I have to connect/reconnect a couple times for my iPad mini 5 to recognize the S1.

On to something more positive, the S1 sounds pretty good, so I’m happy about that. I just signed up for the 90 day free trial of Apple Music, and the Dolby Atmos recordings sound amazing, especially with newer albums. 👍

Jun 18, 2021 at 9:37 PM Post #1,997 of 2,329
So, the W2 came in, and surprise twist, it actually has significantly louder transmission of EMI. A/B'd with an S1, both set to similar volume levels (by listening not by displayed numbers), both on low gain with a Fiio LC4.4B cable attached to a pair of FH5. I also tested with the W2's lightning cable as well as the Meenova one off Amazon. It is also definitely the cell radio on the 12 Pro that does it. I would turn off Wi-Fi, on the W2 I could hear it right away, on the S1 almost none if any (both with something playing and without). Then run a speedtest and the W2's noise was quite loud, and the S1 was pretty slight (again both with something playing and without). I then repeated the tests with cellular off and Wi-Fi on, and they were both fairly quiet.

I also noted that the noise was reduced on both by outstretching the USB cable, instead of stacking it behind the phone. Additionally, the noise changed a ton by moving just the balanced headphone cable to different spots around the phone, which makes me think most of the noise is either post amp somehow, or it's actually coming into the DAC/amp areas through that port, not the USB like I first thought. I'm really supper new to this sort of stuff, so just some educated went to college for engineering guesses.

I also agree with jwbrent, I only really started noticing this when I moved to a balanced cable (just don't really want to be pushing and pulling MMCXs a ton trying to A/B that).

I also noted the S1 kind of feels better made. The case feels thicker, it's a bit heavier, and the round metal buttons feel much better than the W2's sharp squared off ones (they almost feel like plastic on the W2).

I honestly couldn't tell the difference between sound on both, and the FH5 clearly don't need the extra power. That with the price, and the better build, guess that means the S1 is sticking around and it's actually the W2 going back. And then if the noise bothers me the cellular goes off while listening (not like a DAP would have cellular anyways)

Super not scientific by any means, but just wanted to get an update out there from my experience with them both in case someone was hoping the W2 would solve all their EMI issues for double the price.

Jun 19, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #1,998 of 2,329
Just got one. I have a question? So I try to update it however there no root folder and I notice it’s already updated to the 1.007. I created a new root and moved the 1.008 over however nothing happens it stay on Wating and when I re plug it in the folder and the file that I copied over is gone. Anyone has this issue or know how to resolve it

Jun 19, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #1,999 of 2,329
Just got one. I have a question? So I try to update it however there no root folder and I notice it’s already updated to the 1.007. I created a new root and moved the 1.008 over however nothing happens it stay on Wating and when I re plug it in the folder and the file that I copied over is gone. Anyone has this issue or know how to resolve it
You don't need to create a root folder. Just drag and drop the file inside the stick and then update will start automatically.

Jun 20, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #2,000 of 2,329
09D5A609-A574-431E-A7F8-CBECFA460024.jpeg

Jun 21, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #2,001 of 2,329
I commented earlier that the Lotoo lightning cable was picky about connecting to my iPad, but I found out if I wiggle the inserted cable sideways a bit, I can make a connection.

Jun 22, 2021 at 2:12 AM Post #2,002 of 2,329
Jun 22, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #2,003 of 2,329
Just got mine in after being quite underwhelmed by the Hip Dac to use with my V-moda m100 as it was too warm for this headphone and lacked depth(trading it in for alot of warmth).

Happy to say iam imediately sold on it. None out of the EQ settings only 3 seem to work for my sensibilities and i prefer to use no EQ at all.

It sounds very neutral, good bass extension but no obvious boost. Clear treble but not noticably bright. I might go as far as calling it a reference style sound profile.

As for my personal test, it passed it with flying colours. Every slayer album sounds great on it wich is a rare feat, even world painted blood and snuff sounded great on it.
Hip dac failed this test as the added warmth masked the guitar.
I haven't tried it with my studio headphones yet but for V-moda its a good match that balances out the bottom heavy sound signature of the m100 that became an inaudible mess with the hip dac.

Not trying to roast the Hip Dac here ofcourse, it just didnt sound good with my music.

Jun 22, 2021 at 9:25 PM Post #2,004 of 2,329
So, the W2 came in, and surprise twist, it actually has significantly louder transmission of EMI. A/B'd with an S1, both set to similar volume levels (by listening not by displayed numbers), both on low gain with a Fiio LC4.4B cable attached to a pair of FH5. I also tested with the W2's lightning cable as well as the Meenova one off Amazon. It is also definitely the cell radio on the 12 Pro that does it. I would turn off Wi-Fi, on the W2 I could hear it right away, on the S1 almost none if any (both with something playing and without). Then run a speedtest and the W2's noise was quite loud, and the S1 was pretty slight (again both with something playing and without). I then repeated the tests with cellular off and Wi-Fi on, and they were both fairly quiet.

I also noted that the noise was reduced on both by outstretching the USB cable, instead of stacking it behind the phone. Additionally, the noise changed a ton by moving just the balanced headphone cable to different spots around the phone, which makes me think most of the noise is either post amp somehow, or it's actually coming into the DAC/amp areas through that port, not the USB like I first thought. I'm really supper new to this sort of stuff, so just some educated went to college for engineering guesses.

I also agree with jwbrent, I only really started noticing this when I moved to a balanced cable (just don't really want to be pushing and pulling MMCXs a ton trying to A/B that).

I also noted the S1 kind of feels better made. The case feels thicker, it's a bit heavier, and the round metal buttons feel much better than the W2's sharp squared off ones (they almost feel like plastic on the W2).

I honestly couldn't tell the difference between sound on both, and the FH5 clearly don't need the extra power. That with the price, and the better build, guess that means the S1 is sticking around and it's actually the W2 going back. And then if the noise bothers me the cellular goes off while listening (not like a DAP would have cellular anyways)

Super not scientific by any means, but just wanted to get an update out there from my experience with them both in case someone was hoping the W2 would solve all their EMI issues for double the price.
Thanks for the inputs. My S1 EMI issues are driving me crazy and I was thinking on the W2. Looks like I will have to find something else. My Fiio BTr5 was dead silent. So for that I will give Fiio a win.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2021 at 11:18 PM Post #2,005 of 2,329
Thanks for the inputs. My S1 EMI issues are driving me crazy and I was thinking on the W2. Looks like I will have to find something else. My Fiio BTr5 was dead silent. So for that I will give Fiio a win.

I wonder whether the noise you’re hearing is RFI, not EMI which generally occurs when a device is picking up stray radiation from a power supply transformer. I purchased an RFI choke, quite inexpensive, that totally eliminated the noise in my setup:

5ECB9E5D-EDFB-454F-92C8-E11EEDFA5F0B.jpeg

Jun 24, 2021 at 7:15 AM Post #2,006 of 2,329
I wonder whether the noise you’re hearing is RFI, not EMI which generally occurs when a device is picking up stray radiation from a power supply transformer. I purchased an RFI choke, quite inexpensive, that totally eliminated the noise in my setup:

5ECB9E5D-EDFB-454F-92C8-E11EEDFA5F0B.jpeg
Is the RFI choke the gray thingy on the cable to the iPad? Where can you buy an RFI choke?

Jun 24, 2021 at 7:39 AM Post #2,007 of 2,329
I got the S1 yesterday, using with Samsung S21 Ultra, no noise whatsoever so far after 3 hours use yesterday

Jun 24, 2021 at 7:43 AM Post #2,009 of 2,329
That's great news for many. Had no issues with the S1 either but I upgraded to W2 and I am very happy.
I'm keen to try the W2 but no uk seller's. Expensive importing from either USA or China

Jun 24, 2021 at 7:46 AM Post #2,010 of 2,329

Users who are viewing this thread

Back