Lotoo PAW S1 - Designed for HIFI on the go with Lotoo PAW quality and the first USB DAC-AMP with dual 3.5mm & 4.4mm output
Feb 18, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #1,686 of 2,329
Strange as for me S1 was definitely warmer than Q5k. Personally these were in different league and if PEQ is not a must have than S1 is a clear winner

Feb 19, 2021 at 1:25 AM Post #1,687 of 2,329
at 1.0.0.10 using with ROON windows, so the UAC1 needs to be activated, I found that the the S1 is not detecting MQA from ROON, any idea what is wrong?

1611750355388.png
Heu. Did u get it to work? Wonder of buying the S1 myself. Im making a Roon system with my IEMs

Feb 19, 2021 at 3:50 AM Post #1,688 of 2,329
Heu. Did u get it to work? Wonder of buying the S1 myself. Im making a Roon system with my IEMs
My S1 is working fine with Roon for MQA. Just make sure you select "decoder and renderer" on the device settings in Roon and it should play along nicely

Feb 19, 2021 at 9:31 AM Post #1,689 of 2,329
I've bought powered external hub and that solved all my laptop related issues.
As for the device itself, I quite like it, but I did not have time to do a/b tests against iphone and Schiit uber stack...planning to do them with both my iems and Fidelio X2.

Feb 21, 2021 at 6:49 AM Post #1,690 of 2,329
This is how I use my S1 and I am happy with it.

Attachments

• 20210221_113835.jpg
    20210221_113835.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Feb 25, 2021 at 9:04 AM Post #1,691 of 2,329
Hi! I would like to know if there is much different regarding sound quality with the Dragonfly Cobalt. I have the DF but the Lotto and its balanced output catch my attention. Thanks a lot for the help!
I have Chord Mojo and Dragonfly Cobalt, I had FiiO BTR5 and my friend got Lotoo Paw S1.

For me:

1. Mojo
2. DFC
-
-
3. S1
4. BTR5

The first two seem to me to be in a different league.

S1 I like it a bit more than BTR5 in USB DAC mode, using both balanced output.

S1 may be one of the best devices in the $ 100-200 range but it can't beat DFC.

My opinion

Feb 25, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #1,692 of 2,329
I think when it comes to dongle DACs such as the DFC, E1DA, S1 et al, there's quite a bit more to the decision process than simply subjective sound quality (for some people, anyway).

Here's a post I made in the 846 thread a little while back:

While they're both dongle(y) DAC things their feature sets are different enough that it could just come down to what you're looking for from one of these devices. The S1 has selectable EQ and ATE presets, high or low gain adjustment, hardware volume buttons, an OLED display (albeit tiny), and both 3.5 and 4.4mm outputs, whilst also not needing a USB x to USB A adapter - although with small size of AudioQuest's own adapter (dragon tail?) this last point is somewhat moot. In one review I found this line " AQ recommends using headphones with an impedance no lower than 16Ω." but then I've seen a quite a few 846 owners who use the Cobalt and love the combination.

This might all seem very one-sided in favour of the S1, but the Cobalt can act as a line-out whereas the S1 can't (or not a true line-out functionality anyway), it also has MQA decoding baked in whereas we're still waiting on a firmware update from Lotoo for MQA on the S1 - and the wait has been quite some time, so it could be imminent, or it could be... a long way off. Another potential issue you might find with the S1 is that when using bit-perfect such as with UAPP, you can only control the volume from the S1 itself and not from the phone. I'll have to double check, but I think this is also the case when using it with a Windows machine. Volume adjustment only via the hardware buttons. Depending on your use case, that might be a source of frustration.

I don't think you can go wrong with either!

Feb 25, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #1,693 of 2,329
I don't know the OI, but it pairs wonderfully with the Andromeda Gold. Inky black background, nice driving power (when powered by a 2.1amp+ port)
Hi,
Coming from DX220 Max and just sending back A&K SR25 I am looking into a Paw S1 paired with my iPhone 11 Pro and Andro Gold with a balanced cable.
I am looking into energetic tuning and keeping the Gold Bass slam listening to EDM, Metal, Rock.
1. Will that be a good match e.g. compared to DCF - I saw this comparison yet:
Lotoo PAW S1 - Designed for HIFI on the go with Lotoo PAW quality and the first USB DAC-AMP with dual 3.5mm & 4.4mm output
2. Anyone knows the output impedance of S1 on 4,4mm?
3. Tidal MQA unfolding yet supported or still pending?
4. I yet own the Qudelix 5k, will S1 or DCF be a clear step up regarding SQ or just a side-grade? I am using it for watching TV connected to my Sony soundbar over LDAC currently...
Thx!

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2021 at 4:50 AM Post #1,695 of 2,329
Hi,
Coming from DX220 Max and just sending back A&K SR25 I am looking into a Paw S1 paired with my iPhone 11 Pro and Andro Gold with a balanced cable.
I am looking into energetic tuning and keeping the Gold Bass slam listening to EDM, Metal, Rock.
1. Will that be a good match e.g. compared to DCF - I saw this comparison yet:
2. Anyone knows the output impedance of S1 on 4,4mm?
3. Tidal MQA unfolding yet supported or still pending?
4. I yet own the Qudelix 5k, will S1 or DCF be a clear step up regarding SQ or just a side-grade? I am using it for watching TV connected to my Sony soundbar over LDAC currently...
Thx!

Hi! I've just updated the firmware of my Lotoo Paw S1 and now it unfolds 4x MQA. The difference is clearly adubile from my laptop.
I think that the S1 works at its full potential with laptop because sometimes smartphones does not give it full power (or maybe it is just my feeling). About interferences, they are annoying only if you keep it very close to the smartphone and stream music from mobile network. I have no issues with wifi, or playing my flac albums offline.
I don't have here with me a DFC to do an A/B comparison but I tried it and I like a lot more my Paw S1, plus I use it with 4.4mm cable.
My fav setup atm is Lotoo Paw S1 + 4.4mm Fearless cable + Shuoer EJ07. It rocks.
I also have Fiio BTR5 that is very practical when I go out for a walk and it has good sq bluetooth with LDAC (connected to my smartphone or my Sony DAP) and very powerful 2.5mm output, but it needs to be charged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back