Lotoo PAW S1 - Designed for HIFI on the go with Lotoo PAW quality and the first USB DAC-AMP with dual 3.5mm & 4.4mm output
Mar 1, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #1,712 of 2,329
Mar 1, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #1,714 of 2,329
Yes, but if you order W2 you get W2.
OK, now I found it, thx.
Guess I will first try S1 though as it is arriving tomorrow and consider W2 if s1 turns out to show issues with my setup.
Import fee is incredibly high for Germany.
W2: 300 Eur
Fast delivery:32
Sum: 332 Eur

Taxes: + 118 Eur!

Guess I will first wait for some resellers in Europe...

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #1,715 of 2,329
Quite a few people reported already, between comments I read here and a number of my readers pinging me in private, iPhone 12Pro/MAX is a culprit of the EMI problem. They switch to iPhone 8 or android phone, and problem goes away or EMI is a lot less noticeable. Of course, not an excuse since in theory you want usb dac/amp to be universal with every source. I assume when you try it with your laptop, you don't hear the same EMI level? or older iPhones or other Android phones?
I have an LG v30 and almost all of my dongles have static when data traffic goes over the cellular connection, though never WiFi. I think most of these devices are susceptible, either due to poor internal shielding or the usb cable itself acting as an antenna picking up the LTE/4G signal. I may need to attach the S1 to my iPad and then put my phone next to the S1 with the phone’s WiFi turned off to see if the S1 picks up interference while I do data transfers on the phone... Up to now, I haven’t found a happy solution with a dongle if I am running cellular data...

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #1,716 of 2,329
OK, now I found it, thx.
Guess I will first try S1 though as it is arriving tomorrow and consider W2 if s1 turns out to show issues with my setup.
Import fee is incredibly high for Germany.
W2: 300 Eur
Fast delivery:32
Sum: 332 Eur

Taxes: + 118 Eur!

Guess I will first wait for some resellers in Europe...
Wow. Nearly 40% taxes and fees? That’s astonishing. How does it help to have a seller in Europe for the W2? Wouldn’t they need to pay the taxes anyway? You may save some on shipping, but wow, 118 Euro cost on a 300 Euro item...

Mar 1, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #1,717 of 2,329
Wow. Nearly 40% taxes and fees? That’s astonishing. How does it help to have a seller in Europe for the W2? Wouldn’t they need to pay the taxes anyway? You may save some on shipping, but wow, 118 Euro cost on a 300 Euro item...
Of course it can happen that a Europe reseller will offer it for 400 Eur anyway 🙄
I will give the S1 a chance first...
It costed me half of the above mentioned price and I guess it won't sound only half as good as M2 😉

...Though the question arises if pairing a 1400 Eur IEM with a 200 Eur DAC is sufficient 😉
Coming from DX 220 Max my SQ expectation is high but for on-the-go listening maybe not required as much...
Let's see...

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #1,718 of 2,329
I just took a couple of pictures of my setup. I feel that the Fearless cable helps me a bit with interferences (or maybe I just convinced myself that a $135 cable was worth it 😝)
I rather use the S1 with my laptop or LG G8S or Sony NW-A105, steaming from Tidal via WiFi because when I go out for a walk I prefer to use the Fiio BTR5.
The only thing that I don't like is the sound difference between laptop and smartphone/dap, from laptop the S1 sounds with more body and more energy.
Do you feel the same?

20210301_214332.jpg
20210301_214413.jpg

Mar 1, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #1,719 of 2,329
I just took a couple of pictures of my setup. I feel that the Fearless cable helps me a bit with interferences (or maybe I just convinced myself that a $135 cable was worth it 😝)
I rather use the S1 with my laptop or LG G8S or Sony NW-A105, steaming from Tidal via WiFi because when I go out for a walk I prefer to use the Fiio BTR5.
The only thing that I don't like is the sound difference between laptop and smartphone/dap, from laptop the S1 sounds with more body and more energy.
Do you feel the same?

20210301_214332.jpg20210301_214413.jpg
at least it is looking very nice!

As the device is draining its power directly from its source and not relying on batteries I can imagine that it plays a role...
Anyone tried yet to attach a dual dongle with additional battery power?

I will try this week after I got my S1 and let you know...

Mar 1, 2021 at 10:01 PM Post #1,722 of 2,329
I have an LG v30 and almost all of my dongles have static when data traffic goes over the cellular connection, though never WiFi. I think most of these devices are susceptible, either due to poor internal shielding or the usb cable itself acting as an antenna picking up the LTE/4G signal. I may need to attach the S1 to my iPad and then put my phone next to the S1 with the phone’s WiFi turned off to see if the S1 picks up interference while I do data transfers on the phone... Up to now, I haven’t found a happy solution with a dongle if I am running cellular data...
So ran a simple experiment this evening...

Earphones - IMR Halcyon, balanced cable
Source - R6 Pro

Experiment: Connected a number of USB dongle DAC/Amps to the R6 Pro and then placed my LG v30 with WiFi disabled and surfing to different head-fi pages with LTE/4G connectivity. Ran the phone over just the audio cable, over the dongle, and over the USB cable connecting the dongle to the phone.

To normalize things I used a 2.5mm balanced to 3.5mm SE connector for all of the dongles except where the dongle only had a 2.5mm jack.

No EMI detected:
- Hidizs S9
- Hidizs S8
- Helm Bolt DAC

EMI detected. But only when the phone was right next to the dongle, not when over cables
- Lotoo S1
- Minidsp Il-DSP
- E1DA 9038s gen2 (only has 2.5mm balanced, so did not use adapter)

On the S1 it seems to me that the interference was worst when the phone was closer to the headphone jack itself, less as the phone moved away from the headphone jack.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2021 at 1:16 AM Post #1,723 of 2,329
Just bought Lotoo PAW S1 as my backup since my iFi HIP DAC now is on RMA. This dongle is ridiculously good SQ and powered well for both of my 1more H1707 and new Hifiman HE400SE. But it baffles me when i'm using UAPP, as I'm playing in bit-perfect mode, Lotoo shows the resolution of 32bits even for all hi-res files I've played from UAPP. But when I'm using Sony Music Center Player App, the Lotoo will show the correct resolution same with the file.

This with UAPP
IMG_20210303_140549.jpg

This one using Sony Music Center app
IMG_20210303_140742.jpg

Mar 3, 2021 at 2:30 AM Post #1,724 of 2,329
Just bought Lotoo PAW S1 as my backup since my iFi HIP DAC now is on RMA. This dongle is ridiculously good SQ and powered well for both of my 1more H1707 and new Hifiman HE400SE. But it baffles me when i'm using UAPP, as I'm playing in bit-perfect mode, Lotoo shows the resolution of 32bits even for all hi-res files I've played from UAPP. But when I'm using Sony Music Center Player App, the Lotoo will show the correct resolution same with the file.

This with UAPP

This one using Sony Music Center app
Guess you have yet checked the UApp settings and also bought the MQA in-App package?
My S1 is delayed and will hopefully arrive on Friday

Users who are viewing this thread

Back