Lotoo PAW S1 - Designed for HIFI on the go with Lotoo PAW quality and the first USB DAC-AMP with dual 3.5mm & 4.4mm output
Oct 21, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #1,232 of 2,329
So a few months back I wrote a pretty detailed review of the S1, but we all know how the honeymoon phase is, so I thought I'd follow up with a quick post to confirm: the S1 still sounds better than any other dongle I've heard when properly powered. It beats the both the Dragonfly Red/Cobalt and the Fiio BTR5 in terms of noise floor and detail.

Connected to a phone or tablet, results can be hit or miss given the low power availability, but when I plug it into my Macbook Pro or iMac with IEMs , dang if this tiny little thing doesn't sound nearly as good as the RME ADI-2, and with an equally black background, even on the hyper sensitive IEMs like the Andromeda. When I'm not at my desk or outside exercising with a bluetooth dongle, the S1 is my go-to among a whole bunch of other source options.

Seriously - if you're an IEM user, get an S1. Sure you can get nominally more nuanced sound from ridiculously expensive stacks of DACs and amps, but for $160, this is hands down the best sound you can get. The next step up in quality for me is the Chord Mojo, but that's 3x more expensive, and has a much higher noise floor. After that we're getting into the $1,000 territory before I hear much of a further improvement.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #1,233 of 2,329
So a few months back I wrote a pretty detailed review of the S1, but we all know how the honeymoon phase is, so I thought I'd follow up with a quick post to confirm: the S1 still sounds better than any other dongle I've heard when properly powered. It beats the both the Dragonfly Red/Cobalt and the Fiio BTR5 in terms of noise floor and detail.

Connected to a phone or tablet, results can be hit or miss given the low power availability, but when I plug it into my Macbook Pro or iMac with IEMs , dang if this tiny little thing doesn't sound nearly as good as the RME ADI-2, and with an equally black background, even on the hyper sensitive IEMs like the Andromeda. When I'm not at my desk or outside exercising with a bluetooth dongle, the S1 is my go-to among a whole bunch of other source options.

Seriously - if you're an IEM user, get an S1. Sure you can get nominally more nuanced sound from ridiculously expensive stacks of DACs and amps, but for $160, this is hands down the best sound you can get. The next step up in quality for me is the Chord Mojo, but that's 3x more expensive, and has a much higher noise floor. After that we're getting into the $1,000 territory before I hear much of a further improvement.
Are you saying the DAC part is better than mojo? I’m consider this vs Hilidac Beam 2 for my Hifiman ananda...

Oct 21, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #1,234 of 2,329
Are you saying the DAC part is better than mojo? I’m consider this vs Hilidac Beam 2 for my Hifiman ananda...
Well, for both the Lotoo and the Mojo it's kind of an all-in-one DAC and headphone amp, so I can't really give you guidance on which part if contributing.

Head to head, on non-sensitive IEMs (like the Andromeda), the Mojo sounds better than the S1. It has a wider soundstage and a more natural, organic sound. It has a higher noise floor though, so sensitive IEMs pair poorly with the Mojo, and benefit greatly from the inky black background of the S1 more, even if the rest of the sound is ever so slightly more dry and analytical.

The Mojo is also much larger, heavier, easier to break, and expensive.If I'm seated at my desk, I'll use the RME ADI-2 or my Mojo. If I'm in my 'listening chair' I'll use the Sony TA-ZH1es. If I'm headed out, in the office, at the kitchen table, in a coffee shop (modulo pandemic), the S1 is the best option hands down.

EDIT TO ADD: I don't use it with big headphones like the Ananda, so I can't comment on if a dongle could possibly power them well. For full sized headphones you might need something more powerful than any dongle can provide. I do 99% of my listening on the IEMs listed in my signature.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #1,235 of 2,329
About headphones, I’m using the S1 with my ATH-MSR7B with 4.4mm balanced cable and it sounds amazing. It drives them good also when plugged into my Sony NW-A105 though when connected to a laptop it is more powerful.
I can also say that this tiny beast sounds better than DX160 (4.4mm) with the same headphones. The background is dead silent and the power is enough because the MSR7B are easy-to-drive headphones.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #1,236 of 2,329
I bought an S1 and sold my Mojo. I like how the S1 doesn’t need to be charged up and has 4.4mm. I can’t believe the sound quality that can be achieved from something that costs so little, relatively speaking, in what is a very expensive hobby.

Oct 21, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #1,237 of 2,329

Don't know about the Ananda, but my S1 drives my Hifiman Sundara pretty good at about 65-70% volume on high gain (on SE output).
This tiny thing is quite impressive...

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2020 at 7:05 PM Post #1,238 of 2,329
Anyone can tell me about Lotoo Paw S1 vs Fiio M11 PRO sound comparison?
Is it worth spending more for an M11 PRO?

At the moment I use the S1 with these devices:
- Laptop
- LG G8S smartphone
- Sony NW-A105 dap (that I'm trying to sell)

Thanks

I'm pretty curious to know more about S1 vs M11/M11 Pro sound comparison too...

Oct 22, 2020 at 3:38 AM Post #1,239 of 2,329
I'm pretty curious to know more about S1 vs M11/M11 Pro sound comparison too...

I'm tempted to buy an M11 pro on Amazon to do the comparison :L3000:

Oct 22, 2020 at 5:48 AM Post #1,240 of 2,329
I bought an S1 and sold my Mojo. I like how the S1 doesn’t need to be charged up and has 4.4mm. I can’t believe the sound quality that can be achieved from something that costs so little, relatively speaking, in what is a very expensive hobby.
I had the Mojo and the ifi Micro BL. From memory I wouldn't say that they sounded "better" than the S1. More power for sure, but SQ-wise not "better". I'm enjoying the S1 with the HD58X (High Gain, Volume: 20-30). I'm thinking about the iBasso SR2, should be a good pairing.

Oct 22, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #1,243 of 2,329
I had the Mojo and the ifi Micro BL. From memory I wouldn't say that they sounded "better" than the S1. More power for sure, but SQ-wise not "better". I'm enjoying the S1 with the HD58X (High Gain, Volume: 20-30). I'm thinking about the iBasso SR2, should be a good pairing.
The Mojo was indeed powerful. I think it could have powered a small nuclear reactor. It was a good dac/amp though. I always thought of it being on the slightly warmer side, whereas the S1 feels more neutral. Whether one was ‘better’ than the other though I can’t say as I no longer have the Mojo to compare.

Oct 22, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #1,244 of 2,329
I just got mine. Regarding MQA, S1's screen correctly displays 96Hz during UAPP playback. What will MQA certification change?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back