Lotoo PAW S1 - Designed for HIFI on the go with Lotoo PAW quality and the first USB DAC-AMP with dual 3.5mm & 4.4mm output
Oct 10, 2020 at 4:06 AM Post #1,201 of 2,329
Thinking of picking up an S1 to pair with my dailies - Solaris OG and incoming Noble Tux 5...tempting, tempting.

Tell me why I shouldn't :wink:

Er.. because you don't want beautiful sounding audio? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Oct 10, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #1,202 of 2,329
Oct 10, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #1,203 of 2,329
Hahaha yes, I got one!
Congrats, just saw your post and was about to say,".. do it or forever live with the "I should have...." doubts..."
And we all hate living with that!

Glad I did, as it has the similar sound signature to their PAW6000 DAP (which I also now own, after purchasing a S1) and don't regret owning both as there is a time and place to use both! (IMO)

Oct 11, 2020 at 6:50 AM Post #1,204 of 2,329
I am definitely struggling to whether or not I actually would benefit from having the S1. I'm currently listening via an AK SR25 and through either my FW1800, Tri I3 or Final B2's (through balanced and unbalanced). None of these sound insufficient by any stretch of the imagination. It's only if I try and listen with my Deva that I'm having to turn up the volume a notch (even via balanced).

The itch is strong, but I'm not fully able to succumb to it 😅

Oct 11, 2020 at 8:02 AM Post #1,205 of 2,329
I am definitely struggling to whether or not I actually would benefit from having the S1. I'm currently listening via an AK SR25 and through either my FW1800, Tri I3 or Final B2's (through balanced and unbalanced). None of these sound insufficient by any stretch of the imagination. It's only if I try and listen with my Deva that I'm having to turn up the volume a notch (even via balanced).

Give in to the itch 😃 you know you want it...

I debated whether I needed it or not, but it’s a great little unit. I just use it in a different manner to my other equipment.

Oct 11, 2020 at 8:20 AM Post #1,206 of 2,329

Try to think of "benefit" from a perspective of functionality and convenience, will make it easier to decide. If you use your phone or tablet for music or movies, this will scale up its performance, improve sound quality, give you external volume control, dsp preset effects, and add balanced output so you don't have to deal with type-c or 3.5mm adapters. Plus, the same applies to your laptop. But if you are listening to standalone dap because you want to enjoy the music without interruption of your smartphone notifications and social media updates, stick with a dap.

Oct 11, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #1,207 of 2,329
Try to think of "benefit" from a perspective of functionality and convenience, will make it easier to decide. If you use your phone or tablet for music or movies, this will scale up its performance, improve sound quality, give you external volume control, dsp preset effects, and add balanced output so you don't have to deal with type-c or 3.5mm adapters. Plus, the same applies to your laptop. But if you are listening to standalone dap because you want to enjoy the music without interruption of your smartphone notifications and social media updates, stick with a dap.

this is actually where I’m struggling. I’ve got a DAP (Astell & Kern SR25), but A) I have upgraditis and B) I have questionable doubts about whether pairing the S1 with my SR25 would yield any sort of change/improvement in terms of my listening experience. It’s a neat little amp that seems like a nice addition, especially if it will be MQA compatible. I suppose I can wait until they actually release firmware that supports MQA!

Oct 12, 2020 at 5:50 AM Post #1,208 of 2,329
For example, I purchased it to use it with my laptop and aldo with my little dap that hasn't balanced output (Sony NW-A105). I was using the Ifi Hip Dac but it was not practical as the S1.
Often I had to recharge it, the balance output is very noisy, the volume knob sometimes rotates when inside my pocket and blows away my ears, and also it is bigger than the A105 and doesn't match the stacking at all.
S1 has surely less power but it's more usable and practical.
I was going to buy the ZX507 to upgrade from A105, but this tiny beast saved me a lot of money. I don't know if I did right or wrong, but ZX507 costs around 700€ and my A105 is hard to sell above 200€.
I did the math... And S1 won hands down.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #1,209 of 2,329
S1 with ddhifi accessories, packing for a mini trip. :gs1000smile:

20201013_131230.jpg

Oct 14, 2020 at 7:28 AM Post #1,210 of 2,329
My S1 has just arrived! Today I'm gonna try it.
20201014_132408.jpg

Oct 15, 2020 at 5:07 AM Post #1,213 of 2,329
I'm very surprised, didn't expect this coming.
Got a new Realme 7 Pro, what a phone, even if you have more expensive one, just buy it, incredible value 🙂
But guess what, S1 doesn't work,
W11 Topaz, Cobalt, Hipdac, all work great.
Anything I need to know??

Oct 15, 2020 at 5:38 AM Post #1,214 of 2,329
this is actually where I’m struggling. I’ve got a DAP (Astell & Kern SR25), but A) I have upgraditis and B) I have questionable doubts about whether pairing the S1 with my SR25 would yield any sort of change/improvement in terms of my listening experience. It’s a neat little amp that seems like a nice addition, especially if it will be MQA compatible. I suppose I can wait until they actually release firmware that supports MQA!

If you pairing S1 with SR25, you are bypassing SR25's CS43198 DAC, from one AK to another AK ... Astell Kern to Asahi Kasei, no more AK's flagship sound. SR25 supports MQA too.

If you have extra $$$, by all means. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back