Lotoo PAW S1 - Designed for HIFI on the go with Lotoo PAW quality and the first USB DAC-AMP with dual 3.5mm & 4.4mm output
Oct 22, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #1,246 of 2,329
My question still stands: Paw S1 (which might or might not get mqa certification) vs Hilidac Beam 2 (which is already mqa certified). Anybody has compared them? Thanks
I have both

LTP has the hand up on almost everything,soundstage is a bit bigger in HB2, however the hilidac has improved a lot with their fw releases, last one smoothed a lot the treble and brought a bit more forward the mids, practical wise i prefer the HB2, since its smaller and less heavy, it actually fits amazingly in my pocket without making much bulk.

Oct 22, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #1,247 of 2,329
I have both

LTP has the hand up on almost everything,soundstage is a bit bigger in HB2, however the hilidac has improved a lot with their fw releases, last one smoothed a lot the treble and brought a bit more forward the mids, practical wise i prefer the HB2, since its smaller and less heavy, it actually fits amazingly in my pocket without making much bulk.
Thanks, so sound quality wise you prefer Lotoo? I thought those two are in similar sizes, interesting you mention HB2 is more practical in portable use. I was hoping they sound similar but now the choice is more difficult:
Beam 2: much more powerful (240mw in 32ohm), mqa support, smaller size
Lotoo: better sound quality, physical volume control

Oct 22, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #1,249 of 2,329
sound signature of LTP compares to my Zx300 in balanced mode, 3d holographic and details are way better, beam2 distorts a bit the sound above 70%, LTP has a clean output all across the board.
Thanks looks to me that Lotoo is a better option as I plan to use it to drive Hifiman ananda (25ohm sensitivity 103) and IEM, no need for the extra power. I just hope Lotoo can confirm S1 will get mqa certification l.

Oct 22, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #1,250 of 2,329
Then go for Lotoo Paw S1, I'm sure you will be satisfied.

Oct 22, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #1,251 of 2,329
The Mojo was indeed powerful. I think it could have powered a small nuclear reactor. It was a good dac/amp though. I always thought of it being on the slightly warmer side, whereas the S1 feels more neutral. Whether one was ‘better’ than the other though I can’t say as I no longer have the Mojo to compare.
I've got them both here and think you're pretty spot on. They are both quite technical and powerful, but the mojo is slightly warmer and smoother, with the S1 being slightly more clinical and neutral. It's a vanishingly small difference for the 3x price gap though.

Between the two I prefer the sound of the Mojo for harder to drive IEMs, and the S1 for the overly-sensitive IEMs just for it's blacker background, but again, slightly is a key word here.

Oct 22, 2020 at 4:05 PM Post #1,252 of 2,329
Impressive that s1 can be even compared to mojo which is several times bigger and more expensive :) I’d like to ask when using with iPhone, does it easily get EM interference by phone calls/sms/4G? I used to have a cheap one whenever i use it I have turn on flight mode to make it quite, hope s1 has better shield/protection in that regard :)

Oct 22, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #1,253 of 2,329
Don't know about the Ananda, but my S1 drives my Hifiman Sundara pretty good at about 65-70% volume on high gain (on SE output).
This tiny thing is quite impressive...
Hi, thanks! Do you think it drives Sundara to it’s full potential (maybe you also have a desktop amp to compare with?)
For ananda i currently use directly on Mac and iPhone, the volume is Ok but the quality is not impressive. I’m wondering if I can omit desktop amp and just buy s1 instead. The bonus is that I can also use it with iPhone and IEM as portable setup.

Oct 22, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #1,254 of 2,329
Impressive that s1 can be even compared to mojo which is several times bigger and more expensive :) I’d like to ask when using with iPhone, does it easily get EM interference by phone calls/sms/4G? I used to have a cheap one whenever i use it I have turn on flight mode to make it quite, hope s1 has better shield/protection in that regard :)
It does get a little EM interference. Fair warning that performance is strongly correlated with the power provided by the port. When I say it's close to a Mojo, I'm referring to use when plugged into a full-power port on a Macbook Pro. Using it with a phone or tablet produces good, but not stellar results. It will certainly sound better than the iPhone 3.5mm adapter, but not Mojo-like with your iPhone.

Oct 22, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #1,255 of 2,329
Hi, thanks! Do you think it drives Sundara to it’s full potential (maybe you also have a desktop amp to compare with?)
For ananda i currently use directly on Mac and iPhone, the volume is Ok but the quality is not impressive. I’m wondering if I can omit desktop amp and just buy s1 instead. The bonus is that I can also use it with iPhone and IEM as portable setup.

Well, I only have the S1 and Woo WA8 at the moment. The WA8 is a tube amp, so a bit too different to be compared fairly to the S1 (and it is in another league anyway...).

From the S1, the Sundara sounds... just like the Sundara should sound! There is no sign of lack of power to my ears from the S1 (Sundara's bass, treble extension, dynamics, soundstage, etc., everything is there). And I didn't tried it from the 4.4 mm balanced output...

To be honest, from my experience (and memory), I don't think you'll find some big differences with the Sundara from the S1 vs some other Mid-Fi DAC/Amps (like the Mojo / ifi Micro BL). The differences that you could find will be mostly due to the house sound of these other products IMO.
So, with the Ananda, I really don't think you will have any driving problem with the S1.

Oct 23, 2020 at 12:33 AM Post #1,256 of 2,329
I'm pretty curious to know more about S1 vs M11/M11 Pro sound comparison too...
Doboo57,

If this helps, I was using almost exclusively the FiiO Q5s AMP/DAC with the AM3D THX AAA Amp, which is close or the same as the M11 Pro
( Sorry if this doesn't help since it isn't a Direct M11/M11Pro comparison, but from all of my previous auditions of both the M11/M11 Pro, the Q5s with the AM3D amp was the same as the M11 Pro, and the Q5s with the AM3E amp was a little bit better than the M11 but close. Again all IMO and YMMV. )

I've pretty much moved to the S1 and enjoyed the sound so much, that I also purchased a Lotoo PAW 6000 DAP (having sworn off of Android based DAP's and using other sources with the Q5 previously and Q5s more recently) this is a big change for me.

I really enjoy the Lotoo Sound Signature with the IEM's I use.
While I really did enjoy the sound signature of the Q5s/AM3D THX AMP combo, My first listen to the S1 had me rediscovering familiar music tracks, and started the move away from my till now tried and trued Q5s!

The Lotoo sound is much more neutral/natural
The FiiO with the THX amp is a little more fun with the bass.
All IMO....
I really enjoy the clarity of the highs on both Lotoo Platforms. the mids just seem a little more natural, and the mid bass is nice and tight. I'm surprised I'm not missing the bigger thump on bass from the Q5s vs the S1, and in fact pretty blown away on the clarity and quantity of bass this little amp/DAC can provide.
Now my dilemma is keep or sell my Q5s DAC/AM3E/AM3D amps or just hang on to them because I "did" enjoy them before but find I'm no longer listening to them as enjoying the S1 and PAW6000 depending on what I'm doing and what I can take along with me.
Again just my opinion but hope it helps you out.

Oct 23, 2020 at 2:49 AM Post #1,257 of 2,329
Well, I only have the S1 and Woo WA8 at the moment. The WA8 is a tube amp, so a bit too different to be compared fairly to the S1 (and it is in another league anyway...).

From the S1, the Sundara sounds... just like the Sundara should sound! There is no sign of lack of power to my ears from the S1 (Sundara's bass, treble extension, dynamics, soundstage, etc., everything is there). And I didn't tried it from the 4.4 mm balanced output...

To be honest, from my experience (and memory), I don't think you'll find some big differences with the Sundara from the S1 vs some other Mid-Fi DAC/Amps (like the Mojo / ifi Micro BL). The differences that you could find will be mostly due to the house sound of these other products IMO.
So, with the Ananda, I really don't think you will have any driving problem with the S1.
Thank you!

Oct 23, 2020 at 4:32 AM Post #1,258 of 2,329
I'd like to have some opinions about the EQ of the S1. I currently don't use it. I'm curious about the meaning of ATE and the difference between EQ/EFX/ATE. I'm sorry for my ignorance!

Which one of these premade eq settings is the best for metal (prog/death/thrash/heavy) and for electronica?

Thanks!

Oct 23, 2020 at 6:34 AM Post #1,259 of 2,329
Doboo57,

If this helps, I was using almost exclusively the FiiO Q5s AMP/DAC with the AM3D THX AAA Amp, which is close or the same as the M11 Pro
( Sorry if this doesn't help since it isn't a Direct M11/M11Pro comparison, but from all of my previous auditions of both the M11/M11 Pro, the Q5s with the AM3D amp was the same as the M11 Pro, and the Q5s with the AM3E amp was a little bit better than the M11 but close. Again all IMO and YMMV. )

I've pretty much moved to the S1 and enjoyed the sound so much, that I also purchased a Lotoo PAW 6000 DAP (having sworn off of Android based DAP's and using other sources with the Q5 previously and Q5s more recently) this is a big change for me.

I really enjoy the Lotoo Sound Signature with the IEM's I use.
While I really did enjoy the sound signature of the Q5s/AM3D THX AMP combo, My first listen to the S1 had me rediscovering familiar music tracks, and started the move away from my till now tried and trued Q5s!

The Lotoo sound is much more neutral/natural
The FiiO with the THX amp is a little more fun with the bass.
All IMO....
I really enjoy the clarity of the highs on both Lotoo Platforms. the mids just seem a little more natural, and the mid bass is nice and tight. I'm surprised I'm not missing the bigger thump on bass from the Q5s vs the S1, and in fact pretty blown away on the clarity and quantity of bass this little amp/DAC can provide.
Now my dilemma is keep or sell my Q5s DAC/AM3E/AM3D amps or just hang on to them because I "did" enjoy them before but find I'm no longer listening to them as enjoying the S1 and PAW6000 depending on what I'm doing and what I can take along with me.
Again just my opinion but hope it helps you out.
Thanks a lot for these impressions, while not giving me many technical informations, it helps me a bit.

When I received my S1, I also did some comparisons with the ifi Micro BL. Long story short : I finally sold the ifi and kept the S1...

Oct 23, 2020 at 6:42 AM Post #1,260 of 2,329
Thanks a lot for these impressions, while not giving me many technical informations, it helps me a bit.

When I received my S1, I also did some comparisons with the ifi Micro BL. Long story short : I finally sold the ifi and kept the S1...

Same story here: sold ifi Hip Dac and kept the S1 :beyersmile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back