Lotoo PAW S1 - Designed for HIFI on the go with Lotoo PAW quality and the first USB DAC-AMP with dual 3.5mm & 4.4mm output
Mar 6, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #1,786 of 2,329
Hi, finally got my lotoo PAW S1 today. First impression, is sounds great!

Got a query though, do I need UAPP to take advantage of HiRes and MQA in Tidal when using my android phone? What about on the computer?
Thanks!
For PC, Audirvana (expensive) can play MQA or you can download the Tidal own software itself. For hi-res audio including DSD, you can use Foobar2000 (free) but you have to install components to play DSD (free). I'm using Tunebrowser (free+paid which can play DSD without any add-on with top-notch interface) and foobar2000. If you want to bypass Windows Volume Mixer so the software can communicate directly to the DAC, you have to install ASIO or WASAPI to get the bit-perfect.

Mar 6, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #1,787 of 2,329
What do you guys think about OFS?
Does it mean Tidal app is doing unfold or Tidal app playing MQA but S1 cannot unfold?
Have googled a bit regarding MQA and IOS.
This article is an interesting entry point
https://darko.audio/2019/03/the-inconvenient-truth-about-mqa-on-ios/

Looking at the displayed bit rate of S1 when playing Tidal it seems to me that Tidal app is doing the so called 1st unfold and forwarding the result to S1
My assumption: S1 isn't doing 2nd unfold...
Anyone in this forum knowing a Lotoo contact which can clarify this?

Mar 6, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #1,788 of 2,329
Have googled a bit regarding MQA and IOS.
This article is an interesting entry point
https://darko.audio/2019/03/the-inconvenient-truth-about-mqa-on-ios/

Looking at the displayed bit rate of S1 when playing Tidal it seems to me that Tidal app is doing the so called 1st unfold and forwarding the result to S1
My assumption: S1 isn't doing 2nd unfold...
Anyone in this forum knowing a Lotoo contact which can clarify this?
service@lotoo.cn
I will email them tonight...

Mar 6, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #1,790 of 2,329
Mar 6, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #1,791 of 2,329
https://twister6.com/2020/10/12/in-a-snapshot-hidizs-s9-mini-usb-dac-amp/

Interesting device especially for that low price!
No mqa support on S9
Better PCM decoding specs on S9 up to 768 khz vs only 384khz
Different tonalities (see Twister review)
If you don't need MQA and are on tight budget seems to be a no-brainer almost

The hidizs s9 have a newer AK4493EQ chip which is used in high end devices
Than the lotoo s1 with lower end dac chip AK4377.
Still the S9 is cheaper how is that?🤔🤔🤔

Mar 6, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #1,792 of 2,329
service@lotoo.cn
I will email them tonight...
I wrote some nice email to the above mentioned email address and got this: "Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender".
Is that some politically motivated functional restriction so I cannot send emails to Chinese receivers?
Anyone encountered something like this before?
How to contact Lotoo service?

Mar 6, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #1,793 of 2,329
I wrote some nice email to the above mentioned email address and got this: "Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender".
Is that some politically motivated functional restriction so I cannot send emails to Chinese receivers?
Anyone encountered something like this before?
How to contact Lotoo service?
You can try the social media channels: https://www.lotoo.cn/english/Community/

Mar 6, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #1,794 of 2,329
Mar 6, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #1,796 of 2,329
I am just trying to help, right? 👍
sure, not your fault, am just wondering very much how to deal with these market leading Chinese companies when such simple things are turning out to be such difficult

Mar 6, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #1,797 of 2,329
The hidizs s9 have a newer AK4493EQ chip which is used in high end devices
Than the lotoo s1 with lower end dac chip AK4377.
Still the S9 is cheaper how is that?🤔🤔🤔
S1 has significantly greater feature set and build quality than the S9. The DAC chip is only a part of the equation, and a lower end DAC chip can give superior sound if the overall implementation is better. I have both and it is no surprise to me the S1 would be more expensive than the S9.

Mar 6, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #1,798 of 2,329
S1 has significantly greater feature set and build quality than the S9. The DAC chip is only a part of the equation, and a lower end DAC chip can give superior sound if the overall implementation is better. I have both and it is no surprise to me the S1 would be more expensive than the S9.
How does the sound compare? with EQ disabled on S1 ofc

Mar 7, 2021 at 12:13 AM Post #1,799 of 2,329
Adding a picture of UAPP and PAW S1. UAPP reports USB DAC @ 44.1kHZ / PAW S1 MQA. X4

I get exactly the same thing as you on this track. I trust the display on the S1. If for some reason UAPP was not transferring the MQA bit stream, why would the S1 display MQA data that matches what the UAPP is reporting for the file?

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2021 at 12:15 AM Post #1,800 of 2,329
How does the sound compare? with EQ disabled on S1 ofc
I will have to play with both again tomorrow. Last I remember the mids on the S1 were much more full than the S9, giving the S1 a warmer (and to me more pleasing) sound compared to a leaner sound on the S9... but that is just from memory...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back