Lotoo PAW S1 - Designed for HIFI on the go with Lotoo PAW quality and the first USB DAC-AMP with dual 3.5mm & 4.4mm output
Mar 5, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #1,756 of 2,329
Hey everyone!

Happy UAPP and Lotoo Paw S1 user but tonight it started crashing on me for some unknown reason. The native Tidal app works but UAPP playing Tidal caused the whole phone to freeze. I uninstalled UAPP and tried to reinstall and now apparently my device (Google Pixel 4a) is no longer supported??? I attached a screencap. Just wondering if anyone has had this issue? Are there any other apps that can handle Tidal MQA I case I am SOL for UAPP?
Same issue here. The uapp dev said the following:

The latest firmware update of the Pixel 4 series contains a kernel bug that will restart your phone when an app tries to play through USB audio using its own driver. This is not exclusive to our app, but happens too other apps featuring their own driver as well. We reported it to our contact at Google and they made an internal bug report of it. I do not
know the further state and when they will solve the issue. Again, this
is not something we can fix ourselves. Because of these reasons we
excluded the 4 series from the compatible devices list so people with
those devices cannot accidentally buy it anymore until the problem gets
resolved.

To use the Android USB audio driver, please disable the option 'Use USB
DAC' in the app's USB audio tweaks. To force decoding of MQA with the
Android driver, you can select the 'HiRes audio driver' in the first
option in the app's settings, but this will give lower quality than with
our own driver.

Mar 5, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #1,757 of 2,329
Hi, finally got my lotoo PAW S1 today. First impression, is sounds great!

Got a query though, do I need UAPP to take advantage of HiRes and MQA in Tidal when using my android phone? What about on the computer?
Thanks!

Mar 5, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #1,758 of 2,329
Hi, finally got my lotoo PAW S1 today. First impression, is sounds great!

Got a query though, do I need UAPP to take advantage of HiRes and MQA in Tidal when using my android phone? What about on the computer?
Thanks!
MQA on the S1 with an Android phone requires UAPP, as far as I know. For example if I use an MQA enabled dongle and try playing with Tidal app the dongle does not unfold MQA. UAPP, with the optional MQA plug in, does.

Don‘t know about PCs, though.

Mar 5, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #1,760 of 2,329
Some explanations about MQA modes I found in some other DAC manual:

MQA option
• Product is receiving a bit perfect MQA stream
• Product performs full MQA decoding
• Product displays “MQA”
• “MQA” indicates that the product is decoding and playing an MQA stream or file, and denotes provenance to ensure that the sound is identical to that of the source material.

MQA Studio
• Product displays “MQA Studio”
• “MQA Studio” indicates it is playing an MQA Studio file, which has either been approved in the studio by the artist/producer or has been verified by the copyright owner.

MQA Rendering "OFS"
• Product is receiving a decoded stream from another Decoder e.g. the Tidal application, or the digital output of an MQA enabled network streamer
• Product performs MQA rendering which means it can connect to an MQA Core signal and complete the final unfold of an MQA file. This product will include ‘stream lock’ but is not able to decode an MQA stream or authenticate it.
• “OFS” confirms that the product is receiving an MQA stream or file. This delivers the final unfold of the MQA file.

Mar 5, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #1,761 of 2,329
Some explanations about MQA modes I found in some other DAC manual:

MQA option
• Product displays “MQA”
• “MQA” indicates that the product is decoding and playing an MQA stream or file, and denotes provenance to ensure that the sound is identical to that of the source material.

MQA Studio
• Product displays “MQA Studio”
• “MQA Studio” indicates it is playing an MQA Studio file, which has either been approved in the studio by the artist/producer or has been verified by the copyright owner.

MQA Rendering "OFS"
• Product is receiving a decoded stream from another Decoder e.g. the Tidal application, or the digital output of an MQA enabled network streamer
• Product performs MQA rendering which means it can connect to an MQA Core signal and complete the final unfold of an MQA file. This product will include ‘stream lock’ but is not able to decode an MQA stream or authenticate it.
• “OFS” confirms that the product is receiving an MQA stream or file. This delivers the final unfold of the MQA file.
What do you guys think about OFS?
Does it mean Tidal app is doing unfold or Tidal app playing MQA but S1 cannot unfold?

Mar 5, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #1,762 of 2,329
Can you help? What am I doing wrong? UAPP is showing USB DAC 44.1kHz only. I have bought the MQA plug in.
Screenshot_20210305-200954_USB Audio Player PRO.jpg

Mar 5, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #1,763 of 2,329
Same issue here. The uapp dev said the following:

The latest firmware update of the Pixel 4 series contains a kernel bug that will restart your phone when an app tries to play through USB audio using its own driver. This is not exclusive to our app, but happens too other apps featuring their own driver as well. We reported it to our contact at Google and they made an internal bug report of it. I do not
know the further state and when they will solve the issue. Again, this
is not something we can fix ourselves. Because of these reasons we
excluded the 4 series from the compatible devices list so people with
those devices cannot accidentally buy it anymore until the problem gets
resolved.

To use the Android USB audio driver, please disable the option 'Use USB
DAC' in the app's USB audio tweaks. To force decoding of MQA with the
Android driver, you can select the 'HiRes audio driver' in the first
option in the app's settings, but this will give lower quality than with
our own driver.
Thanks for this! The dev replied to me as well with the same thing. Sadly, using UAPP in the fashion they describe above doesn't allow any MQA rendering (the Lotoo does't show MQA x4 on the screen). I guess Pixel 4 users will have to wait for a software update!

If anyone else is in the same boat and unable to reinstall UAPP as it is no longer in the Google Play App store (not visible if you are using the Pixel 4), the dev can email you the actual app directly so you can reinstall it.

Russ

Mar 5, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #1,764 of 2,329
I tested Audirvana on MacOS playing Tidal MQA on S1 and though S1 is displaying 24bit/44khz it seems unfold is done, so 88,2 kHz is shown as the applied bit rate
1614976495463.png

Mar 5, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #1,769 of 2,329
I did. S1 shows MQA X 4.
I 2nd this, though I have to say UApp is working quite unstable on my old Motorola, Tidal app is far more stable, though I d like UApp SQ more 🙄
On my IPhone Tidal app is fine besides this strange OFS 4x message
SQ is very good!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back