Lotoo PAW Gold Touch - Touchscreen, 4.4mm Bal, USB DAC, Bluetooth
Mar 30, 2018 at 3:13 PM Post #46 of 3,520
Subbed. Damnit. Here I was thinking I was done with audio purchases for the year.

Mar 30, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #47 of 3,520
@Mython The power button is separated enough from the pause/play, and the skip buttons that you won't accidentally push it. Also a lot of devices you have to either confirm you want to power them off (like twister said), or hold the power button down for more then a second to turn them off. It's really not a 'terrible ergonomic mistake', that's a bit of an over reaction.

Mar 30, 2018 at 3:16 PM Post #48 of 3,520
@Mython The power button is separated enough from the pause/play, and the skip buttons that you won't accidentally push it. Also a lot of devices you have to either confirm you want to power them off (like twister said), or hold the power button down for more then a second to turn them off. It's really not a 'terrible ergonomic mistake', that's a bit of an over reaction.

We will just have to agree to disagree on that.

Mar 30, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #49 of 3,520
We will just have to agree to disagree on that.

Do you not feel the buttons before you press them? You usually just stab in the direction of the pause/play/skip buttons? I get kind of upset when I accidentally skip a track instead of pausing, but I'm not sure I'd be so mad about accidentally pushing a power button if it doesn't do anything when I accidentally push it....

Mar 30, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #50 of 3,520
It's an unnecessary ambiguity every single time someone operates the DAP without looking at it. It could so easily have been designed much better.

A classic example of this unnecessary ergonomic ambiguity is on public transport, when a user needs to quickly dip their hand into their pocket and change a track on their three thousand dollar DAP without drawing attention to the fact they have a very valuable electronic device in their pocket. No 5 second fumble, in order to identify which button is the power button, and which one is the track button, and/or no double-dip into the pocket to rectify a mis-pressed button. That might sound like an unrealistic situation, but it's not at all, as anyone who's traveled on the London Underground or NY Subway can attest. Pickpockets and muggers are everywhere and scan travelers to pick likely targets. Good ergonomics do matter.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #51 of 3,520
Wait now you are saying that pressing a button twice increases the chances you will get mugged? That seems like a really big stretch.

Have you considered that the reason that the power button is on the same side as the other buttons is not because the device is poorly designed, but because it is well designed. What if putting the power button on the other side would mean they would have to move internal components around and because of this the device would get significantly larger, or would lose some functionality. It is probably easier to have all the buttons on one side because they probably require similar internal mechanics. I would assume they did it for a reason, I have faith that these things were well thought out and there is probably a good reason for its location.

Making outrageous conclusions based on nothing just pollutes these forums.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #52 of 3,520
I haven’t seen a single touch screen dap that has the button placement, that works ideally for everybody. Sure, I would have liked larger buttons and a larger spacing from the power button. But, it is what it is. Honestly, at this point, I am more concerned about aspects like; UI bugs, UI fluidity, USB DAC functionality, the price and, most importantly, the Sound.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #53 of 3,520
I agree, I don't think it is really that much of an issue. If they just put a little nib on the pause button then all the problems are solved.

Mar 30, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #55 of 3,520
I thought it was $3000 US?

Mar 30, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #56 of 3,520
I picked up that number from a post on Rudi’s Facebook page. We don’t have a confirmation yet.

EA6C4E2A-19D2-452C-83FF-E46118FE36EB.png

Mar 30, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #57 of 3,520
Wait now you are saying that pressing a button twice increases the chances you will get mugged? That seems like a really big stretch.

Making outrageous conclusions based on nothing just pollutes these forums.

I said double-dip - as in having to dip into your pocket twice, if you thought you'd skipped to the next track but find out, 5 seconds afterwards, that no, you'd actually pressed the power button and, unbeknown to you, it'd just switched-on a screen confirmation dialogue instead. Then you'd have to dip back into your jacket, and yes, it does increase the chances of being pick-pocketed. These a-holes cast their eyes over every person in a carriage, looking for clues as to who might be carrying something particularly valuable (a good reason to not wear fancy CIEMs on the Tube/Subway, by the way). It's all too easy to casually laugh and dismiss this as paranoia, until you suddenly find yourself in a real-life situation (and yes, I have been mugged for my cellphone, in the past. It was in my pocket but the mugger noticed me typing a text message, by touch, in my pocket. He knew precisely what was in my pocket, even though I hadn't taken it out).

You can skeptically snigger or judge me, all you like , but mugging and pick-pocketing of expensive electronics devices does happen, and count your blessings if it never happens to you. These criminals are pros and the more you fumble around in your pocket, the more you stand-out, as a potential target, in a crowd.

In any case, it's not just about the above risks - that was just one example of the problems poor and/or ambiguous button design can cause, and Twister and I already discussed other problems with other DAPs poor button design.

Have you considered that the reason that the power button is on the same side as the other buttons is not because the device is poorly designed, but because it is well designed. What if putting the power button on the other side would mean they would have to move internal components around and because of this the device would get significantly larger, or would lose some functionality. It is probably easier to have all the buttons on one side because they probably require similar internal mechanics. I would assume they did it for a reason, I have faith that these things were well thought out and there is probably a good reason for its location.

Give me a break - are you seriously telling me they were unable to make the power button a different size or shape, and space it a little further away?

On the ZX1, Sony had the power button on the same side as the control buttons, but they at least had the logical sense to make it easy to differentiate by touch, because of the big volume keys seperating the buttons.:

ZX1.jpg

I haven’t seen a single touch screen dap that has the button placement, that works ideally for everybody. Sure, I would have liked larger buttons and a larger spacing from the power button. But, it is what it is. Honestly, at this point, I am more concerned about aspects like; UI bugs, UI fluidity, USB DAC functionality, the price and, most importantly, the Sound.

Fair comment, and I'm sure we'll see some reviews soon (probably in Chinese, first). I am curious about who has done the firmware, since this is their first venture (that I'm aware of) into touchscreen territory. I'm sure I'm not the only one quietly wondering if Hiby have anything to do with it, as a sub-contractor.

Unless anyone has anything further to say, I'm done with the button topic now and have no desire to drag it further. I stand by my loud criticism of the button ergonomics, but I know it won't win me any friends. So be it. We can agree to disagree, with no hard feelings.

FWIW, I'm pleased to see Lotoo releasing something new (price notwithstanding).

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #58 of 3,520
The “double dipping” thing is a really interesting theory. I guess this means i’m wrong in thinking people that are wearing headphones obviously have them attached to something. You are right! A subtle squeeze, or dip into my pocket is far more obvious then the fact that I am wearing headphones.

I’m going to have to stop plugging my headphones into stuff in public.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back