Lotoo PAW Gold Touch - Touchscreen, 4.4mm Bal, USB DAC, Bluetooth
Aug 6, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #421 of 3,520
Aug 16, 2018 at 5:54 PM Post #425 of 3,520
I've listened to the LPGT for a day. My impression is that SQ wise it is in the same league as the WM1Z and SP1000 (not on Hugo 2's level yet).

Sound signature-wise, it reminds me of the SE100, with better treble extension.
LPGT is the most neutral and tonally balanced sounding player among LPGT, WM1Z and SP1000. Compared to LPGT, WM1Z has boomy bass and is more colored across the frequencies; the SP1000's midrange sounds more hollow and the treble is hotter.

Personally I prefer the tonality of the LPGT and the overall sound-signature of the WM1Z. Might switch to LPGT because of the fast card-reading and the search bar.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #426 of 3,520
Any idea how lpgt compare with lpg in terms of sonic quality? Is it worth switching from lpg to lpgt or are they are just different?
I was going to move to r2r 2000 but hifiman declared they will end the standalone dap feature via future firmware update making
it a mobile streaming device and usb dac only.

Aug 16, 2018 at 8:06 PM Post #427 of 3,520
I've listened to the LPGT for a day. My impression is that SQ wise it is in the same league as the WM1Z and SP1000 (not on Hugo 2's level yet).

LPGT is the most neutral and tonally balanced sounding player among LPGT, WM1Z and SP1000. Compared to LPGT, WM1Z has boomy bass and is more colored across the frequencies; the SP1000's midrange sounds more hollow and the treble is hotter.

Personally I prefer the tonality of the LPGT and the overall sound-signature of the WM1Z. Might switch to LPGT because of the fast card-reading and the search bar.

Are you talking about SP1000 SS? Which FW version? The latest (from April) fw1.08 turns SP1000-SS treble silky smooth. Between SP1000SS, LPG, WM1Z, and DX200/amp8 - SS actually has the smoothest treble. SS with early fw1.06 had a hot treble... Haven't heard LPGT yet, really curious about it and its PEQ!

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #428 of 3,520
Any idea how lpgt compare with lpg in terms of sonic quality? Is it worth switching from lpg to lpgt or are they are just different?
I was going to move to r2r 2000 but hifiman declared they will end the standalone dap feature via future firmware update making
it a mobile streaming device and usb dac only.

IMO definitely. I was a LPG owner. LPG has a peaky, piercing treble and only pairs well with IEMs from JH Roxanne era when we need more than usual treble from the dap. LPGT on the other hand achieved one of the most if not the most neutral sound signature ever from a dap (though I'd prefer a little more bass).

Aug 16, 2018 at 10:12 PM Post #429 of 3,520
Are you talking about SP1000 SS? Which FW version? The latest (from April) fw1.08 turns SP1000-SS treble silky smooth. Between SP1000SS, LPG, WM1Z, and DX200/amp8 - SS actually has the smoothest treble. SS with early fw1.06 had a hot treble...
I've heard the SP1000 both ss and cu running the latest fw. I am pretty sure it is the most treble-heavy among the three. I'm talking 10+kHz treble, the sounds of hi-hat, symbol, etc. SP1000 also has a dip in its mid-bass, making the midrange percevingly clearer and overall more v-shape.

Aug 16, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #430 of 3,520
I've heard the SP1000 both ss and cu running the latest fw. I am pretty sure it is the most treble-heavy among the three. I'm talking 10+kHz treble, the sounds of hi-hat, symbol, etc. SP1000 also has a dip in its mid-bass, making the midrange percevingly clearer and overall more v-shape.

Hmm, your description of SPK-SS above with hollow mids and peaky treble was close to what I remember with fw1.06, while fw1.08 changed is more toward SPK-CU sig (quite noticeable too). But it doesn't matter, people do hear things differently, and I was just curious how it compares relative to other daps I have access to. Either way, can't wait to check it out!

Aug 17, 2018 at 12:40 AM Post #431 of 3,520

Thanks for your feedback. Between the LPGT and the Hugo 2, which would you say has a fuller mid-range and a smoother treble.

Aug 17, 2018 at 3:53 AM Post #432 of 3,520
Thanks for your feedback. Between the LPGT and the Hugo 2, which would you say has a fuller mid-range and a smoother treble.
Like I said, Hugo 2 is on an other level compared to these totl daps imo. It simply images better and has better soundstage depth. More "correct". Sound signature-wise it makes sense to compare WM1Z and LPGT to Hugo 2. SP1000 has a complete different tuning.

Hugo 2 has an authoritative subbass and midbass. In comparison, LPGT sounds emotionless (not enough subbass) and WM1Z sounds muddy (too much coloration on the bass frequencies). In the midrange, where Hugo 2 does its absolute best, LPGT sounds full but not passionate and WM1Z sounds passionate but I can tell the sound is colored. I favor the treble from the Hugo 2 as well. It simply images better, and places instruments in a more correct (imo) distance than both LPGT and WM1Z.

For your reference here's how their sound signatures are to my ears. Quantity, from subbass to midbass to mid to lower treble to treble:

Hugo 2: 65554
LPGT: 45555
SE100: 45554
WM1Z: 65554 (but colored!)
SP1000: 54456
LPG: 44457

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2018 at 8:03 AM Post #434 of 3,520
Well, for wm1Z to be raked in with Hugo 2, that is an achievement. Being colored or not, IMO, the tonal body of WM1Z overall is king of portable by far from what I came through (loved it with upgraded wires). Thanks @Edric Li .

I guess, this is where I should look toward DMP-Z1

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back