Lost my Ety HF5s, what should I get to replace them?
Aug 3, 2011 at 1:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

TacticalPenguin

100+ Head-Fier
I left my Etymotic HF5s on the plane back in April. I loved them and was quite happy with their sound and fit but just haven't had the money to replace them until lately. I can get another pair for $94 from Amazon, but before I just do that, is there something else out in a similar price range ($70-120) that is NOTABLY better but still in the style of the HF5s? What are the new Ety MC5s like? I don't really wanna try something just to try it but I am certainly open to other options. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Aug 3, 2011 at 11:15 AM Post #2 of 3
Same budget and better : Phonk PFE 012 (basic but you can buy on their website the additional ports to change the sound signature, like his brothers at higher price...)

Less money, same quality : go for the Tident from Dunu, to me, they are the ones !

Gregory FR

Aug 3, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #3 of 3
The MC5 will be a step down from the HF5, as it is an attempt by Ety to create their house sound with a dynamic driver.  It succeeds in some areas (decent sound from an Ety well below $100), but fails in other areas (clarity of sound vs. BA driver of the HF5, congestion during busy passages).

Unless you want to try the RE0, which is about the only dynamic IEM under $150 I've heard in 3 years that comes close to the clarity of the HF5, I would just pick up another HF5 from Amazon since they are below $100 right now.  The HF5 is sure to last much longer than the RE0 -- unless you leave them on a plane!
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back