Lossless Streaming Service you use (Poll)

Which Lossless Streaming Service (services) do you use?

• Qobuz

Votes: 102 41.0%
  • TIDAL HiFi

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Amazon Music HD

Votes: 37 14.9%
  • Deezer HiFi

Votes: 14 5.6%
  • Apple Music

Votes: 79 31.7%
  • Other (specify)

Votes: 6 2.4%

• Total voters
Feb 9, 2022 at 2:50 AM Post #91 of 123
Tested closely Tidal and Apple Music at high volume

Audio chain l iPhone ->CCK->Rotel RC-1590 preamp (USB-B input)->Rotel RB-1590 amp->Polk Audio RTi A9 speakers l
Native apps.
Used the same songs from the same albums. Usually both 44.1 khz 16 bit (you can check tracks from Tidal with mconnect app - it shows codec and bitrate of Tidal streams), sometimes 24 bit on Apple Music. Flac files from Tidal and ALAC files from Apple Music.
Same volume level on my preamp.

I said before that Tidal with my rig sounded slightly better, but I didn't listened closely, so listened to it for ~2 hours. Well, at high volume Tidal sounded much better. Apple Music for some reason sounds distorted/harshy at high volume, while with Tidal stream I can stand very close to my loud tower speakers and can even raise volume level further - it's still super clear, my ears still not bleeding, but it's VERY loud - louder than the same track from Apple Music.
Also, Apple Music has some stutters when playing music, while Tidal playing without any interruptions.

At first I really wanted Apple Music to be the winner for this test since I like Apple's big library with solid amount of tracks with cd+ quality. I actually have no idea why there is so big differences, but that's it - Tidal is the absolute winner in sound quality compared to Apple Music. At least on iOS.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2022 at 3:39 AM Post #92 of 123
Tested closely Tidal and Apple Music at high volume

Audio chain l iPhone ->CCK->Rotel RC-1590 preamp (USB-B input)->Rotel RB-1590 amp->Polk Audio RTi A9 speakers l
Native apps.
Used the same songs from the same albums. Usually both 44.1 khz 16 bit (you can check tracks from Tidal with mconnect app - it shows codec and bitrate of Tidal streams), sometimes 24 bit on Apple Music. Flac files from Tidal and ALAC files from Apple Music.
Same volume level on my preamp.

I said before that Tidal with my rig sounded slightly better, but I didn't listened closely, so listened to it for ~2 hours. Well, at high volume Tidal sounded much better. Apple Music for some reason sounds distorted/harshy at high volume, while with Tidal stream I can stand very close to my loud tower speakers and can even raise volume level further - it's still super clear, my ears still not bleeding, but it's VERY loud - louder than the same track from Apple Music.
Also, Apple Music has some stutters when playing music, while Tidal playing without any interruptions.

At first I really wanted Apple Music to be the winner for this test since I like Apple's big library with solid amount of tracks with cd+ quality. I actually have no idea why there is so big differences, but that's it - Tidal is the absolute winner in sound quality compared to Apple Music. At least on iOS.
There are some interesting threads on audiophilestyle regarding how to get the best sound quality from Apple Music with Apple devices. By default I think it won't sound best. There are some tricks required to get bitperfect but it looks quite simple. It should improve quality but I'm not sure how much difference it will make.

I like Tidal and the sound of MQA. But I don't have any other bitperfect streaming to compare it to.

Feb 9, 2022 at 3:52 AM Post #93 of 123
There are some interesting threads on audiophilestyle regarding how to get the best sound quality from Apple Music with Apple devices. By default I think it won't sound best. There are some tricks required to get bitperfect but it looks quite simple. It should improve quality but I'm not sure how much difference it will make.

I like Tidal and the sound of MQA. But I don't have any other bitperfect streaming to compare it to.
Forgot to mention that before test I disabled EQ, Dolby Atmos, Sound Check, enabled maximum quality in music settings. Still something wrong with Apple Music app on iOS.

Feb 9, 2022 at 3:53 AM Post #94 of 123
Forgot to mention that before test I disabled EQ, Dolby Atmos, Sound Check, enabled maximum quality in music settings. Still something wrong with Apple Music app on iOS.
Ok but it still might not be bitperfect or something else could interfere. Apple is famous for making decisions for the user. The audiophilestyle site could help optimize it.

Feb 9, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #95 of 123
Thanks, that's a bit vague, I was trying to find some more details on UAPP forum and documentation on what it does exactly and couldn't.
Wish UAPP worked with offline downloads, kills benefit of it for me as I am mostly on Qobuz offline content when on the go.
Been talking with them via email. This will not happen. They are not allowed to do this.
Is there any other way to play my Qobuz offline content bit perfect?

Feb 9, 2022 at 4:57 PM Post #96 of 123
Been talking with them via email. This will not happen. They are not allowed to do this.
Is there any other way to play my Qobuz offline content bit perfect?
USB, probably not. Native phone BT LDAC should at least do 16/44.1 losslessly. Can do up to 24/96 but there is some lossy compression.

Feb 10, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #99 of 123
USB, probably not. Native phone BT LDAC should at least do 16/44.1 losslessly. Can do up to 24/96 but there is some lossy compression.
Qobuz allows for Wasapi Exclusive through USB on its desktop app, bypassing a computer's internal DAC and sending a bit-perfect stream to an external DAC for processing.

Apologies if you cats are only talking about Bluetooth. If so, move along and I'll return to my hole. :)

Feb 10, 2022 at 5:42 PM Post #100 of 123
Qobuz allows for Wasapi Exclusive through USB on its desktop app, bypassing a computer's internal DAC and sending a bit-perfect stream to an external DAC for processing.

Apologies if you cats are only talking about Bluetooth. If so, move along and I'll return to my hole. :)
Yeah, PC is not a problem, you can do anything, WASAPI, WASAPI Exclusive, or ASIO (which is buggy with 192kHz)

Feb 10, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #101 of 123

On mobile android phone is when the bit perfect part becomes impossible (when listening offline).

Feb 12, 2022 at 1:40 AM Post #102 of 123
Ive used soundcloud for years but only because of the sheer volume of songs that can only be found there.. so sad apple music doesnt have more music. In the end I mostly use apple music but still chuck on some of my old playlists on soundcloud and youtube

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #104 of 123
Soundcloud... No idea why I should pay 10€ every month to have 256kbps AAC.
They even dare to call that high quality audio...
Since when do you have to pay to listen to Soundcloud? First time im hearing it but havent listened to it for a year now.

Feb 15, 2022 at 5:10 PM Post #105 of 123
Since when do you have to pay to listen to Soundcloud? First time im hearing it but havent listened to it for a year now.
Yes, you can listen to it for free. In that case the quality is even lower than 256kbps AAC.
Just like Spotify has a free tier and a premium tier. Same with Soundcloud.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back