Losing faith.
Aug 26, 2008 at 7:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

gz76

1000+ Head-Fier
Man I hate bitch threads, but I'm really pissed off at the moment. Last night when I went to bed, I had a shiny motorbike nicely tucked away in the garage. Today when I got up it was gone.

All the signs seem to indicate that this was a planned heist, which just makes me even madder for some reason. This is the second theft I've had in about 4 months, and if I hadn't lost all faith in my fellow man before, then I have now. I just don't get how scum like that feel that they are entitled to take whatever they want. I hope karma catches up with them soon.

They even took my bike cover, the ****ers!

Aug 26, 2008 at 7:47 AM Post #2 of 36
First off i am very sorry this happened to you.You saying that there was no forced entry at all?How did they get in exactly?

As for the people who stole your bike eventually it will catch up to them and they will lose more than what they gained from stealing.

Aug 26, 2008 at 8:22 AM Post #3 of 36
Grrrr! I totally feel with you...
Never got anything stolen from me (knock on wood), but I fully understand how mad it makes you.

Hopefully the @$$holes get caught!

Aug 26, 2008 at 9:03 AM Post #6 of 36
That's really lame. I commiserate.

That said, your first mistake was having faith in your fellow man. Rookie mistake.

Aug 26, 2008 at 9:39 AM Post #7 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabe Logan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First off i am very sorry this happened to you.You saying that there was no forced entry at all?How did they get in exactly?

No, there was definitely forced entry. They knew exactly what they were after tho and didn't waste time with anything else. It would have taken at least two guys as well. This wasn't a crime of opportunity -- I'm positive it was planned, which makes me even more uncomfortable as I look around me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockCity /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry for your loss. I'm not familiar with insurance policies, but are you protected against this theft?

Yeah, pending an investigation. I'll still be out of pocket a few grand tho minimum when things get settled. Not to mention missing out on track time due to not having a bike.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrookR1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you have a disk lock for it?

Disk lock, steering lock, immobiliser.... have them all and they make no difference. If someone wants your bike, they're going to take it. Trust me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's really lame. I commiserate.

That said, your first mistake was having faith in your fellow man. Rookie mistake.

Yeah, unfortunately I like to believe most people are good. Except for the ones who send letter-bombs. As you know, I avoid them.
wink.gif

Aug 26, 2008 at 9:45 AM Post #8 of 36
Put a hidden camera in your garage secretly. More than often, the guy who stoles thing successfully will go back to the same place and try again. If he dare to go back and try again, you'll have his face on tape.

Aug 26, 2008 at 4:20 PM Post #10 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by gz76 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, unfortunately I like to believe most people are good.

I think people are basically evil. Not handlebar moustache, steal your bike, kill people evil, but selfish and self-preserving (which could be considered a form of evil).

If not, many more of us (including me) would be supporting people who are starving in the world...that's the example I like to use. How could you otherwise in good conscience have excess room in your abode or spend money on luxuries?

Anyways, sorry about your bike...that sucks. Theft makes you feel violated and unsafe, glad no one was hurt.

Aug 26, 2008 at 5:13 PM Post #11 of 36
I feel for you, I've had a couple of cars, a scooter and innumerable personal items stolen over the years, and it sucks every time.

Just be sure to report everything, keep records, anddon't let the insurance co walk all over you. Tehy'll try and weasel out of it, but be firm and you'll get your due.

I even had a mountain bike that was double d locked to a street sign stolen - they dug up the street sign.

Pretty much if they want to steal it, they will. All we can do is make sure we're covered and make it a little harder for them.

I'm a big fan of those lights that come on when people approach the garage. Not much, but a cheap deterrent that might keep the casual thief at bay.

Again, sorry for your loss.

Aug 26, 2008 at 5:22 PM Post #12 of 36
Quote:

I even had a mountain bike that was double d locked to a street sign stolen - they dug up the street sign.

!!!
eek.gif

They say that if you get a taller fence, thieves get longer ladders, and judging from that experience of yours that saying is so true...

Aug 26, 2008 at 5:40 PM Post #13 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzula /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think people are basically evil. Not handlebar moustache, steal your bike, kill people evil, but selfish and self-preserving (which could be considered a form of evil).

People may tend to be selfish, but not evil. I prefer to believe people are fundamentally good. I know that I will get (and have been) get burned a few times throughout my life, but this is better than being skeptical of every friend and stranger.

It's rotten that your bike was stolen, OP, but it's just stuff! Count yourself lucky that nobody/nothing irreplaceable was damaged.

Aug 26, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
People may tend to be selfish, but not evil. I prefer to believe people are fundamentally good. I know that I will get (and have been) get burned a few times throughout my life, but this is better than being skeptical of every friend and stranger.

Fundmentally good people wouldn't let people starve...at least by my definition of fundamentally good. I think selfishness is evil, it's just a more passive form of it.

But don't get me wrong, I'm not skeptical or pessimistic when I meet people. There's a difference between apathy and actively doing things to hurt you. I don't think the overwhelming majority of people will hurt you if given the chance, just the opposite.

I really despise thieves...it's frustrating to lose a bike like that, and the likelihood of recovery is so low.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back