Looong time out of the headphone game.. where to now?
post-14429338
Post #1 of 2

sonicm

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So it's gotta have been at least 4 years now since I've been here regularly. Even much longer since I've made a purchase. I've been really busy, and just enjoying my Grado SR-325's + NuForce uDAC 2 HP dac/amp setup. It's served me really well, but I think it's time for me to get back into the headphone game haha. I started with SR-225's(not e's-- I was oldschool! lol) when I was mostly into rock, and then traded for SR-325e's when I started getting into a much wider range of music. But lately I've been getting into a even more diverse range of music, like blues, jazz, electric, and techno, along with my usual mix of indie and punk rock. I originally made the move from sr225 to sr325e because I wanted something a little more bassy. I was happy with my choice, but now with my latest taste changes I feel that while the SR-325's make great rock headphones I think I can do better for electric music. So I've been looking for something a little better on bass. I especially like the deeper ranges of bass-- that's why I liked grados so much. While a lot of people think they're 'anemic' on bass, I honestly think they lack a little power but the range is just about perfect.
So where to next? I don't know how much has changed in the world of headphones. Based on where I left off, a pair of sennheisers or maybe beyerdynamics would be good here. My max price range is $200-250. AKGs too, maybe? This was a really long time ago lol, I don't remember all that much. I'm planning to upgrade my amp and dac to separate dedicated home units when I have more money.. but for now this is where I'm at. What ya thinking my headfiers?

post-14430381
Post #2 of 2

javertim

500+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
I'm going to say the Philips Fidelio X1 (used) or X2 (new or used) should fit the bill for you in terms of added low-end weight and price. I also happen to think they're one of the best-looking headphones I've owned.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)