Looking to Upgrade my Magni?
Dec 12, 2013 at 6:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ks12

New Head-Fier
As the title says above I am wondering if upgrading my Magni would be worth it.  I currently am using HiFiMan HE-400 headphones and plug those into a schiit Magni that plugs into my titanium HD in my computer via RCA cables.  I was wondering if upgrading my amp would give even more clarity to music and games.  I use this setup for everything from games and movies to listening to a wide variety of music, mostly different types of metal and classic rock i.e. In Flames etc.  I have been looking at getting a Schiit Lyr as I have heard a lot about this combo with my headphones, also I have been looking at maybe a Burson Audio HA-160, or something from Woo or even a Project Sunrise ii.  My budget is between $500- $600.  Any ideas or suggestions are welcome, I'm interested in what amps you reccomend or if you suggest upgrading a different part of my current system.  Thanks for your ideas!

Dec 13, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #4 of 9
I will definitely look into audio-gd products especially the SA-31SE that you recommend also I am curious to see what you think Modular of the Project Sunrise ii as that is significantly cheaper but that doesn't always mean it is not as good.  List right now has Woo, Burson, Lyr, and SA-31SE not necessarily in that order, thanks guys and keep the suggestions coming!

Dec 13, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #5 of 9
  I will definitely look into audio-gd products especially the SA-31SE that you recommend also I am curious to see what you think of the Project Sunrise ii as that is significantly cheaper but that doesn't always mean it is not as good.  ...

Sorry--I am unfamiliar with the Project Sunrise II.

Dec 13, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #6 of 9
I would go with a bifrost/asgard2 if I were you. And feed that from your sound cards optical out. This way you can still get dolby headphone from your sound card, and a LOT better dac. The Trouble with just upgrading your amp, is that your weak link will be the dac from your soundcard. 

Dec 14, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #8 of 9
What do you guys think of a Burson HA-160D?  I might be able to get a decent deal on a used one for around $550.  That would be a DAC/Amp combo, does that sound like a good upgrade for my current setup specifically the HE-400's?

Dec 14, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #9 of 9
  What do you guys think of a Burson HA-160D?  I might be able to get a decent deal on a used one for around $550.  That would be a DAC/Amp combo, does that sound like a good upgrade for my current setup specifically the HE-400's?

I have the amp only version and like it a great deal.

I don't have the HE-400, but it works well with the HE-500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back