Looking to trade up from Superlux HD681
Jul 12, 2012 at 8:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

JTrilogy

New Head-Fier
Hey there! I'm a long time lurker, first time poster, and I'm looking for some advice.

I previously owned a pair of Superlux HD681s and I absolutely loved their sound. Unfortunately, I left them in my school's recording studio and someone took them. Now I have around $100 to burn and I was wondering what the best headphones in my price range are.

I listen to just about everything under the sun, but like I said, I fell in love with the HD681's sound. After burning in everything felt very well balanced. The highs transformed from piercing to shimmering and the mids and lows were more...filling? I'm not sure how to say it...Anyway, I will be using the new 'phones for some light gaming and long music listening sessions and thus comfort is a high priority as well. If you gentlemen have any advice as to what headphones I should get please let me know.

Jul 12, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #2 of 4
Maybe you could take a look at the AKG K240 Studio. I liked these a lot, and they were very comfortable, for me at least. Great for rock and pop music IMO, and I liked them with metal too, although I liked them for pretty much anything, save for some classical that didn't sit quite right with them and my ears. 

Jul 12, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #3 of 4
I think the k240s are good, as I own a pair myself, but if you want something more along the hd681, maybe check out the k271, which has less bass. They do go for a bit above $100 though =(

Jul 12, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
Hey there! I'm a long time lurker, first time poster, and I'm looking for some advice.

I previously owned a pair of Superlux HD681s and I absolutely loved their sound. Unfortunately, I left them in my school's recording studio and someone took them. Now I have around $100 to burn and I was wondering what the best headphones in my price range are.

I listen to just about everything under the sun, but like I said, I fell in love with the HD681's sound. After burning in everything felt very well balanced. The highs transformed from piercing to shimmering and the mids and lows were more...filling? I'm not sure how to say it...Anyway, I will be using the new 'phones for some light gaming and long music listening sessions and thus comfort is a high priority as well. If you gentlemen have any advice as to what headphones I should get please let me know.

Buy another Superlux HD681, they are a knock off of the AKG K240s, but less then half the price.
Some people get the Creative WOW ear cushion for Superlux headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back