Looking to spend 100-200 dollars on headphones/set-up. Suggestions?
Nov 10, 2010 at 11:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

B00F

New Head-Fier
I'm a new audiophile as well as a new Head-Fi'er(first post), mostly just reading reviews and just absorbing information about the extended world of audio. Such a stark contrast from a year ago rockin' my $39 Skullcandies :p

I felt it's about time to purchase my first high quality set of cans especially after the tragic death of my 2 weeks old SIEGE Audio Elevens today XD (R.I.P.). I'm only 13 so I have a limited allowance and willing to spend around 100-200 dollars on headphones that I'll mostly be using for my iPod, sometimes Desktop. I'll possibly spend 300+ after saving up but I'm worried of breaking them.

I'm looking for headphones that have a good soundstage and nice sound around the spectrum. Comfort and durability are also a big factor. I'm not a bass-head but I listen mostly to Hip-Hop so that's a thing to consider. I'm not looking for a noise cancelling set but a set that blocks a bit and doesn't leak sound like a hole in a water bottle would be good too. I was considering the Beyerdynamic DT880's in the 32 ohm version considering I'd use it mostly for my iPod but after recently switching to the ALAC audio format and my poor 8GB iPod can handle only so much I guess I'd have to convert to Desktop listening. Would I need an amp? If so, which is a good cheap amp? I'm Canadian so if you know any local places, specifically in BC that'd be cool
biggrin.gif

Side-note, I'm buying a-Jays Two as a portable set of IEM's. Possibly NuForce NE-6. Good choice? Willing to spend up to $70 on in-ears.

Thank's guys and a comment, this is a great site
biggrin.gif

Nov 10, 2010 at 11:35 PM Post #2 of 11
Welcome to Head-Fi, and sorry about your wallet!

Beyerdynamic DT 880's are excellent and definitely fit the bill in your description, however even the 32 ohm versions will greatly benefit from an amp. You can get away without, but I would only recommend them if you plan to get an amp as soon as you can afford one.

I know you won't be able to afford this now, but if you do go with the DT 880's I recommend FiiO's E7/E9 combo. The E7 is both a DAC and portable amp in one, and will greatly improve your listening experience on your desktop. The E7 can be docked as a DAC on the E9 which is a full blown desktop amp and can drive headphones up to 600 ohms. You can get both for $200 at the Micca Store or cheaper at mp4nation but I hear shipping is slow.

Nov 10, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #3 of 11
Welcome to Headfi and sorry about your wallet!
Yeah, I agree with the e7+e9 idea if you're willing to spend some more money in the future...
For iems, you might want to consider the headdirect reos which are $80

Nov 11, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #5 of 11
DAC: Digital to Analog Converter. Like a soundcard, but often more affordable and superior for music.

The I know the appeal of settling for portable amps, but they will never replace a true desktop amp. The E7 is good but it's no substitute. The E9 will give MUCH more power to drive your headphones to its fullest.

As someone who owns the DT 880/32, FiiO E7 and E9, I highly recommend it.

Nov 11, 2010 at 1:50 AM Post #7 of 11
The 600 ohm versions are better than their lower counterparts, but you will lose the flexibility of being able to use them portably. Your iPod won't be able to drive them and the E7 won't have enough power either. If you are going to leave them at home then they will definitely be the better choice.

And are you changing your mind to the 990's or is that a typo? Many people assume that the 990's are better than 880's because they are a higher model number. This is not true, as they are not a "better" headphone but a "different" one. The DT 880's strength is its balance, accuracy, and neutrality; the 990's sound is a bit more colored with brighter highs and emphasized bass. Choose according to the sound you want, and not the model number.

Nov 11, 2010 at 2:17 AM Post #8 of 11
Well originally yeah I was thinking about switching to the 990's simply because of the model number. But from your description, the 990's bass is for me. I'm not a bass head but do appreciate bass just a little bit more.

Yeah, I've decided I'll stick with NuForce IEM's for portability. Home listening with the 990's. Where would one get the E9's in Canada? Also, if you get the E9 is the E7 still needed?

Hmmm thanks I'll look into the Denon's. Are they comfortable?
biggrin.gif

Nov 11, 2010 at 2:34 AM Post #9 of 11
http://mp4nation.net/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_45&products_id=458

^ As of right now that's the best deal I'm aware of and they ship worldwide. Not sure if there are any distributors for Canada; FiiO's website doesn't seem to have any.

If you are going to be listening from a PC, then the E7 is definitely needed. The DAC in the E7 is the most valuable feature, and the E9 doesn't have one. It will bypass your soundcard and ensure that the signal that is being amplified by the E9 is reproduced as accurate and clean as possible. When paired together you get one serious powerhouse on a budget.

Can't comment on Denon's since I've never owned any, but have heard great things and am very interested and hope to get one someday.

Nov 11, 2010 at 9:18 AM Post #10 of 11
Remember that you don't need to hurry yourself in to buying. Try to look around more and eventually build a set up around your ideal sound signature. There is definitely no need to buy something that you might not actually like or just end up upgrading in the near future.

Nov 12, 2010 at 2:22 AM Post #11 of 11
I've been looking at the Ultrasone HFI-2400 and I'm intrigued by the S-Logic thing and the apparent comfort of it all. Anyone have experience with them? What are they like?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back