Looking to purchase a flashlight? Here's an awesome resource!
Mar 3, 2007 at 5:26 PM Post #226 of 275
Just starting in this new (to me) hobby. Started small, very small, with the Fenix EO. Very impressive for such a little piece.

Mar 4, 2007 at 3:37 PM Post #227 of 275
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hopefully it means lower prices and more availability, but I'm not holding my breath. Their military contract is good for them but probably not for consumers. At least they're making money.

At least Henry is still there.

-Ed

I'm glad to hear that Henry is still going to be around!
Well, I guess we just keep our fingers crossed.
k1000smile.gif

Mar 15, 2007 at 9:18 AM Post #229 of 275
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's going on... I flipped to page 12 of this thread and all of a sudden it's like I'm new to head-fi again.
eek.gif

Well, it's never too late to get into flashlights
rs1smile.gif

BTW, I want to make my first flashlight purchase. Is there a KSC75 of the flashlight world?

Mar 15, 2007 at 12:50 PM Post #230 of 275
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amuse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, it's never too late to get into flashlights
rs1smile.gif

BTW, I want to make my first flashlight purchase. Is there a KSC75 of the flashlight world?

I would say that the Fenix line of flashlights qualify for that spot at each of their respective price points. Another good bang for the buck is the new LED based Mag lights. The 2AA and 3AA models seem to be pretty good values. They're focusable, but unregulated.

The Fenix models are definate steps up though.

All four of these models are particularly good values:
http://fenix-store.com/index.php?cPath=22_55

The 1AAA model, L0D-CE, is about the size of a MAG Solitaire, but 100 times brighter @ 50 lumens, digitally controlled and regulated with 5 modes, etc. Killer (almost tactical) brightness from something smaller than my little finger.

The 1AA model, L1D-CE, is smaller (about 1/2 the size) of a 2AA LED Mag light, has digitally regulated output with 5 modes, is quite a bit brighter, etc.

The 1x123 model, P1D-CE, is half the size of the L1D, and sports a 135 lumen max output, again, digitally regulated with 5 modes. This is a remarkable level of output in a light that's only 2.5 inches long. It's brighter than a 6D cell Mag light. The downside of the P1D, if any, is that it uses the 123 lithium battery and is twist activated. If you buy your 123 cells from the web, their price isn't bad at all, but if you buy them from any brick and mortar store, you'll pay 5 or 6 bux a piece!

Overall, the L1D-CE is probably the most practical of the bunch. It uses a conventional AA battery, but can use a lithium AA too if you want the extra battery life. It is conveniently clicky switch activated and is almost as bright as the P1D-CE at a 90 lumens rated output. You can select two modes of initial turn on brightness and easlily cycle through the other modes.

I have one of each, and they're all very nice lights.

BTW, the L2D-CE is as bright as the P1D-CE but is the size of a 2AA Mag light, so it's a killer choice too, if size isn't an issue. It's modes of operation are the same as the L1D, so it can be set for initial activation at maximun brightness. I'm not sure if I would trust my life to it in a tactical sense, (I've had no troubles with any of my CE versions) but the price/performance is compelling.

In a life / death situation, I would wait for the cree versions from Surefire or HDS.

Mar 17, 2007 at 12:34 PM Post #233 of 275
All I know is that my life would not be the same without plastic garbage bags, microwave ovens, and pocket flashlights!

How did I ever survive without a tiny pocket flashlight? I'll never know! Truly a modern technological marvel!!

Mar 17, 2007 at 5:45 PM Post #234 of 275
I'm particularly interested in the Cree'd L1. What would be really nice is if they could do a shortened Cree'd L2. Oh, and don't buy those MagLite LED upgrades. Went to Wal-Mart and was curious about how they perform, but was deeply unimpressed for the price. However, we won't need to change the bulb, ever.

Mar 19, 2007 at 4:51 PM Post #235 of 275
Quote:

Originally Posted by tattoou2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Believe me, flashlights are as addictive, fun, and "wallet-thinning" as headphones and audio gear.
biggrin.gif

how much is their orpheus?

Mar 19, 2007 at 5:36 PM Post #236 of 275
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveDerek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how much is their orpheus?

The SureFire beast would be something like the Orpheus

http://www.opticsplanet.net/surefire...light-br1.html

The sweet spot of the interesting lights are between $50 and $500, just like headphones

Mar 19, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #237 of 275
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SureFire beast would be something like the Orpheus

http://www.opticsplanet.net/surefire...light-br1.html

The sweet spot of the interesting lights are between $50 and $500, just like headphones

Quote:

Product Code: FS-FL-B1R-BK

Regular price: $4,807.50
Sale price: $4,800.00
You Save: $7.50

That is brilliant!
biggrin.gif

Mar 19, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #240 of 275
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is brilliant!
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Product Code: FS-FL-B1R-BK
Regular price: $4,807.50
Sale price: $4,800.00
You Save: $7.50

Quote:

Originally Posted by nibiyabi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I lol'ed.

x2+rotf too.
jeez, what a great sale! maybe i should buy 2 of them at that price!
biggrin.gif

costco had a giant flashlight for ~$35 that had something like a million candle power. i wonder if that they could see that from the space station.
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back