Looking to purchase a flashlight? Here's an awesome resource!
Apr 25, 2008 at 7:25 AM Post #256 of 275
Quote:

Originally Posted by archosman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone here have any problems with their Surefires? I had two that failed on me. I believe it's in the button as one of them no longer clicks properly. I love the light output but I'm pretty disapointed with 2 dead flashlights that are well into $200 territory.

Nearly all my flashlights are customs now. But there are plenty of modded and replacement parts for Surefires out there. Sort of Surefire "Legos" if you will.

There are some two stage switches here.
Sandwich Shoppe Surefire Mods

I don't know if McGizmo Mclicky switches that will fit your Surefire, but they are very reliable.

The only Surefire I may end up owning will only have the KL4 head and glass, everything else is completely custom.
smily_headphones1.gif

-Ed

Apr 25, 2008 at 7:26 AM Post #257 of 275
Quote:

Originally Posted by vibin247 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone check out the specs on the upcoming UA2 Optimus and UB2 Invictus from SureFire? I'm looking at the UB2 Invictus myself. There's also the T1A, Titan Aluminum. It's all in the latest catalog that's downloadable on the company's website.

In case you haven't seen it, the big CPF thread about it is here.
Surefire Optimus and Invictus - CandlePowerForums

wink.gif

-Ed

Apr 25, 2008 at 2:06 PM Post #258 of 275
Quote:

anyone here have any problems with their Surefires?

I have dropped my A2 a couple of times, and it stills works. Sometimes it's hard to screw back on the tailcap when you change batteries, but nothing out of the ordinary. That's unfortunate that you've got 2 of them go bad, but SureFire customer service is pretty darn good. I remember getting my A2 for the first time and looking at the incandescent bulb that came with it, and it was definitely crooked. I sent an e-mail, and a couple weeks later, they sent a new incandescent bulb, free of charge.

Apr 25, 2008 at 5:35 PM Post #259 of 275
Quote:

anyone here have any problems with their Surefires? I had two that failed on me. I believe it's in the button as one of them no longer clicks properly. I love the light output but I'm pretty disapointed with 2 dead flashlights that are well into $200 territory.

I also had a clicky problem in one of my Surefires. The clicky internals are plastic and a bit of flashing found it's way into the clicky mechanism making for an inconsistent click. A couple of minutes with a screwdriver, sandpaper, and some oil and it was back to functioning correctly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vibin247 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone check out the specs on the upcoming UA2 Optimus and UB2 Invictus from SureFire? I'm looking at the UB2 Invictus myself. There's also the T1A, Titan Aluminum. It's all in the latest catalog that's downloadable on the company's website.

The Optimus looks almost EDC-capable. I'll have to look into it some more...

Apr 25, 2008 at 6:35 PM Post #260 of 275
Quote:

Wow, that's a bummer. I never had any problems with any of the Surefires that I've owned over the years. About the only things I've had to replace on them were the headlamps when burn out and the rubber o-rings on the tailcap and head sections of some models.

Jun 25, 2008 at 4:49 AM Post #262 of 275
Hey guys,

I am amazed how wonderful is Head-fi, I feel everything is covered on this forum.

So here is the deal, I currently own a Petzl Myo XP and a CMG Infinity Ultra. Both these units have been used for years and I appreciate their characteristics, I use the Petzl headlamp for mountain biking it has 3 modes and provide a lot of light for a led headlamp.

The CMG infinity is used as a key chain and general use, quite powerful and long lasting light for a single AA battery flashlight, great stuff!

I am now looking to acquire a flashlight and I want something serious. The flashlight must be LED based because I hate having to change the bulbs. I am looking at a flashlight that will provide a very powerful mode and another to take a walk without disturbing everyone. It will be used mostly for camping, must be durable and relatively compact (sub 10 inches).

I think I have found the perfect torch: Surefire E2D LED Defender.

What you guys think? Also I would like to know the best sites to order flashlight related stuff?

Thanks,

Charles

Jun 25, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #263 of 275
Quote:

Originally Posted by Grey Massacre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys,

I am amazed how wonderful is Head-fi, I feel everything is covered on this forum.

So here is the deal, I currently own a Petzl Myo XP and a CMG Infinity Ultra. Both these units have been used for years and I appreciate their characteristics, I use the Petzl headlamp for mountain biking it has 3 modes and provide a lot of light for a led headlamp.

The CMG infinity is used as a key chain and general use, quite powerful and long lasting light for a single AA battery flashlight, great stuff!

I am now looking to acquire a flashlight and I want something serious. The flashlight must be LED based because I hate having to change the bulbs. I am looking at a flashlight that will provide a very powerful mode and another to take a walk without disturbing everyone. It will be used mostly for camping, must be durable and relatively compact (sub 10 inches).

I think I have found the perfect torch: Surefire E2D LED Defender.

What you guys think? Also I would like to know the best sites to order flashlight related stuff?

Thanks,

Charles

I own that Surefire torch...and never use it. Actually, I have not even seen it since moving, so maybe I no longer own it. Anyway, it requires you to use fairly expensive disposable batteries (123A) taht are unlikely to be used in any of your other camping gear. Lamp doesn't last that long on a single battery. After it burnt out on me twice while camping, I got a new one.

Also, it the pointy edges are a nuisance, and it is larger than it needs to be. I now use an Orb Raw. Brighter, lighter, rechargeable, fits in my pocket, is dimmable. And cheaper, which is surprising, now.

It is of minimal use as a self-defense device. I live in a city known for violent crime, and often walk home at night...I never used the Surefire for that purpose. It is not going to be any kind of deterrent, because it is neither an obvious display of power, nor a significant advantage in close quarters. Big guy << big Maglite << gang of guys << knife << gun.

Check out Lighthound.com.

Jun 25, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #266 of 275
Mostly agree with Omega. The pointy tines are a nuisance if you pocket carry as they eat through pocket linings really quickly. For SD purposes, it's makes for a better fistload than a E2L, but that's pretty far down on the totem pole of self defense tools. Then again, you are in Canada so it's probably the best thing you can lug short of a club (long D-cell maglite). It also tail stands, and I believe it's the only Surefire to do so. If you need that and are set on a Surefire for some reason, it's pretty much your only choice.

Personally, I'd rather have a E2L or a E1B if I were set on a Surefire.

Jun 25, 2008 at 10:36 PM Post #267 of 275
Well I could not care less about the defensive purpose of the flashlight. What I like about it is the two phase, I like having a really powerful light and a pretty dim one with a lot of run time. This model is the only one with 120 and 5 lumen in the LED category, the runtime is 76 hours in the lower mode and 1.9 hours in the higher beam one.

You guys know anything similar in other brands? I have read that Surefire has conservative measurement of their flashlights.

Thanks,

Charles

Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mostly agree with Omega. The pointy tines are a nuisance if you pocket carry as they eat through pocket linings really quickly. For SD purposes, it's makes for a better fistload than a E2L, but that's pretty far down on the totem pole of self defense tools. Then again, you are in Canada so it's probably the best thing you can lug short of a club (long D-cell maglite). It also tail stands, and I believe it's the only Surefire to do so. If you need that and are set on a Surefire for some reason, it's pretty much your only choice.

Personally, I'd rather have a E2L or a E1B if I were set on a Surefire.

Jun 26, 2008 at 12:16 AM Post #270 of 275
Here's a review between a few of the mentioned torches...

SureFire E2D LED Defender Flashlight Review

SureFire E2DL 120 lumens
Fenix P3D-Q5 215 lumens
Inova T4-MP 175 lumens
Fenix TK10 225 lumens

The TK10 seems interesting, even tho the lumens rating is higher the real life test shows the Surefire and Fenix are pretty close. The Fenix is about 60$ less expensive and they sell a bike mount which is highly interesting! I'll continue looking, thanks for the info meat01.

EDIT: Here is a few pictures of the TK10

EDIT: I have just came across the Nitecore lamps and they have that adjustable light level, really cool, damn so now I have at least 3 choices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back