Looking to buy new IEMs
May 10, 2011 at 1:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Gysztaf

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to buy a new pair of IEMs but I probably can't listen to them before I buy them so I'm here asking for help. 
I had a pair of Sunrise Xcape v2(they broke...) and I quite liked the sound but I'm also interested in trying a more "fun" sounding IEM so both analytical and fun sounding IEMs are interesting to me.
Right now I listen quite a lot to:
Queen (mostly the albums Greatest Hits I, II and III but also The Game and The Miracle)
Alphaville (mostly the Album Forever Young)
I also listen to The Beatles and occasionally brentalfloss and some OC remix music.
The main thing I listen to when I listen to music is the vocals(when they're actually present).
While I'm at it I should mention that I sometimes(actually quite often during the summer) listen to audiobooks and podcasts.
I sometimes listen to podcasts/music when I go to sleep so a cord that can take a beating would be nice. :)

I usually listen through my HTC Desire.

My budget is ~100$. (It would be nice if I in some way could get the IEMs shipped to Sweden considering that's where I live. :p )
It would be nice if you could include a link to a review of the IEMs you're suggesting or if you write a little about how they sound.

I think that's all the (hopefully) relevant information so you can help me make a good decision regarding my new IEMs.

Thank you in advance, Gysztaf

May 10, 2011 at 1:20 PM Post #2 of 16
Well, on a budget something like the Eterna is a good buy for something with some fun factor.

However, fun is relative and depends on what kind and how much coloration you want.  The most mindlessly fun earphone I've used is the Triple.Fi 10.  It's possible to find pairs affordably, but it's above the budget you're sticking with.

May 10, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #4 of 16

Quote:
Well, on a budget something like the Eterna is a good buy for something with some fun factor.

However, fun is relative and depends on what kind and how much coloration you want.  The most mindlessly fun earphone I've used is the Triple.Fi 10.  It's possible to find pairs affordably, but it's above the budget you're sticking with.

The Eterna seems like it might be fun to try out...but we'll see. :)
Can't find the Triple.Fi 10 for a(to me) reasonable price, so they are out of the race. :p

Quote:
I would recomend the Shure SE215, fun, dynamic drivers, detachable cable, can sit flush for sleeping.

Just like the Eterna they seem like they might be fun to try out and the fact that I can sleep comfortably with those in my ears is a huge plus.

May 12, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #6 of 16
Hmm...turns out getting the SE215 to me in Sweden would cost me about 150-160$ which is a bit above my budget, so that's a no-go. Any other alternatives besides the Eternas? Or is there anyone that could find a cheaper way to get the SE215s to Sweden?

May 13, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #10 of 16

Quote:
I'm from UK, and i got mine from USA from america for $100 USD

I got them from a seller called new-avforsale and it turned out fine for me (they're real). Hope this helps!

Hmm...I'll look into that.
Are you sure your IEMs are real?

Quote:
Brainwavz M3

Thanks for that very describing post...Just kidding! I read about them in Joker's thread and they seem quite good, but the isolation seemed sub-par and this line kind of scares me: "The plastic process on the side of the housing is meant to hook into the antitragus of the ear but for me it just digs into it painfully."
Have you experienced this pain he describes?

Quote:
+1...fantastic IEM.

See above answer. :)

May 13, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #11 of 16

Quote:
Thanks for that very describing post...Just kidding! I read about them in Joker's thread and they seem quite good, but the isolation seemed sub-par and this line kind of scares me: "The plastic process on the side of the housing is meant to hook into the antitragus of the ear but for me it just digs into it painfully."
Have you experienced this pain he describes?

I have zero fit issues at all with the M3.  The little "handle" that sticks out doesn't come in contact with my ear at all when wearing them up (either reversed or normal) and it just sits in the bottom of my ear when I wear them down, so after using the M3s for the better part of a month, I can't recommend their fit any more.  No pain or rubbing whatsoever.  Super easy to get in and get a good seal with the included Hybrid tips...probably the easiest earphone I've ever used when it comes to just putting it in and getting the seal.  The isolation isn't as good as an Ety, but what is?  It's on par with my Turbines and most other IEMs I've tried...outside of the Etymotic HF3s anyway.  :)

May 13, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #12 of 16

Quote:

I have zero fit issues at all with the M3.  The little "handle" that sticks out doesn't come in contact with my ear at all when wearing them up (either reversed or normal) and it just sits in the bottom of my ear when I wear them down, so after using the M3s for the better part of a month, I can't recommend their fit any more.  No pain or rubbing whatsoever.  Super easy to get in and get a good seal with the included Hybrid tips...probably the easiest earphone I've ever used when it comes to just putting it in and getting the seal.  The isolation isn't as good as an Ety, but what is?  It's on par with my Turbines and most other IEMs I've tried...outside of the Etymotic HF3s anyway.  :)

Ah man...now these seem great too...Why is it so hard choosing between IEMs?
What do you think of their sound?

May 18, 2011 at 8:38 AM Post #15 of 16

[size=medium]

Quote:
I'm from UK, and i got mine from USA from america for $100 USD

I got them from a seller called new-avforsale and it turned out fine for me (they're real). Hope this helps!

Is it safe to buy from an (allegedly) authorized dealer on Ebay? Are the warranties still "active"? Is there anyway to check if the seller actually is an authorized Shure dealer?
I've heard (well, mostly read) that the Shure SE215 is an IEM that is prone to some kind of breaking and that is why I'm so reluctant to buy without any information about my warranties.

Also this:
Would the either Shure SE215 or Brainwavz M3 benefit from being run through an Fiio E5 instead of straight through my HTC Desire? Or is a homemade Cmoy preferred in this case?(Thinking about trying to make one myself.)
I would appreciate it if anybody that has tried both Brainwavz M3 and Shure SE215 could give me their opinion on both of the IEMs.
Also, other suggestions are still welcome. :)
(What are the rules about bumping threads? My thread keeps dying but it feels like I'm breaking some rule when I revive it.)
[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back