Looking to buy Headset / Headphones - Need some advice
Sep 17, 2012 at 7:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

WickedZen

New Head-Fier
    I have a MSI 1761 Laptop with on-board Sound Blaster Compatible 3D Audio Realtek AC892. My sound card settings show stereo, quadraphonic, 5.1 and 7.1. I checked with the company that assembled my laptop, who verified that with the motherboard co. that I would support 2.1 natively, but could output up to 7.1 with spdif.  My current headset is a Creative Fatality headset, which as the listed specs of;  Driver Units - 40mm Neodymium, Frequency Response - 20Hz - 20kHz, Impedance - 32ohms, Sensitivity (1kHz) - 110dB/mW, Microphone Type - Noise Canceling Condenser, Frequency Response - 100Hz - 15kHz, Impedance -10ohms, Sensitivity - (1kHz) - -40dBv / Pa and weight of 7oz.  I have had to do a couple of minor repairs but it has been a good headset for $40 but is now on its last legs.
     Due to being able to utilize the optical output of my spdif jack I was looking at getting the Astro A40 with the Mixamp. After spending some time researching I am now considering getting just the mixamp and modding a headphone for a mic. Right now I can get the A40 system for about $190 just the mixamp for $129. I started at looking at headphones but most of the suggested "get these headphones instead of a headset" options are over the $190 mark just for themselves. 

1. Is there a headphone in the $60-80 range that would provide better audio strictly for gaming vs my current Creative Fatality headset or the Astro A40 headset?

2. Is there something as good/better than the mixamp that will use my spdif optical jack and provide improvements in sound quality, volume and similar features.

3. One of the headphones that I am seriously considering are the Technical Pro HPT990. Does anyone know how the sound or gaming of this headphone would stack up with the Fatalities or the A40s?

4. I know that AD700 is a very common gaming choice with added mic or  mic mod. I could likely meet the higher cost if the sound was significantly better for gaming vs the A40s or 990s but I am concerned about them being open headphones and how much more outside noise will interfere or my late night gaming will be heard.

Thank you.

Sep 18, 2012 at 4:59 AM Post #2 of 10
Further research has revealed that the Technical Pro HPT990 is a semi-open headphone. I really need to be able to "drown out" background noise when I am studying and not have a lot of "leakage"  when I am gaming at night and everyone else is in bed. So I am looking for any "closed" headphone recommendations. Thanks!

Sep 20, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #3 of 10
  Due to the lack of any stand out options at the moment, I am thinking of just sticking with my current Fatalities, though I will have to mod/repair them. They are not the greatest but have worked well for the $40 cost. My only complaint is that sometimes with media, music or videos, I have to max out the volume and it is still hard to hear over the noise around me. I was thinking of getting the mixamp which would utilize the spdif/digital output of my on-board sound, but would be open to any suggestions for alternative, especially for an external sound card or amp/device that would give me a bit more volume.

Again this is for a laptop pc, primarily for gaming but would like sound equal/better  than my current Creative Fatalities and if I end up just modding/repairing these a device to give me a bit more volume.

Oct 8, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #4 of 10
[size=9.5pt]     In the off chance anyone finds their way to this thread I wanted to give a quick update. After a lot of research and deliberation, and finding a great deal, I ordered the TBSE1 version of the Koss Pro DJ 100.[/size] My plan is to add a mic, my detachable mic from my Creative Fatality Headset, to the headphones once they arrive.

Oct 8, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #5 of 10
quick search and you could have found this:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-9-29-2012-he-400-edited

basically gives all good gaming headphones/headsets

Oct 9, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:
quick search and you could have found this:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-9-29-2012-he-400-edited

basically gives all good gaming headphones/headsets

I actually did review that thread quite extensively. It was very helpful. However most of the  better scoring headphones were out of my price range but it did provide me a good head start on what to look for. I ended up going with the TBSE1 because the Pro DJ100 had some good reviews here and on Amazon, for gaming as well as general use, and the TBSE1 is "fancy" version with a detachable cord, which is one of the features I was looking for. I should be getting them tomorrow!

Oct 10, 2012 at 2:23 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

I actually did review that thread quite extensively. It was very helpful. However most of the  better scoring headphones were out of my price range but it did provide me a good head start on what to look for. I ended up going with the TBSE1 because the Pro DJ100 had some good reviews here and on Amazon, for gaming as well as general use, and the TBSE1 is "fancy" version with a detachable cord, which is one of the features I was looking for. I should be getting them tomorrow!

oh nice! Well I hope you enjoy them and can let us know what you think !

Oct 10, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Will do and the deal for $49.99 is still available. If you are interested check it out.

https://www.tuesdaymorning.com/tony-bennett-signature-edition-stereophones/1255982.jsp

Thanks for the link, but I think my next 50 bucks is being put into a portable dac/amp setup for my new fostex mad dogs >_<. trying to find something that will work well with the iphone 5 ^_^. 

Oct 11, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #10 of 10
   My initial thoughts after receiving my headphones, I will post again once I use them more.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/631338/my-newbie-review-of-the-tbse1-special-edition-koss-prodj100

Users who are viewing this thread

Back