Looking to buy amp/DAC
Jul 11, 2012 at 2:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Spaz115

New Head-Fier
Hey guys

I'm looking for a portable amp + DAC for ~100 USD. I'm wondering for that sort of money should I get a amp+DAC combo such as the E7 or something like a PA2V2 + a cheap DAC? As the PA2V2 is around 60-70 dollars, what is a good DAC for the rest of the money? Or if a combo is going to be better value at this pricepoint, what other good choices are out there other than the Fiio E7? 

Thanks

Jul 11, 2012 at 2:25 AM Post #2 of 13
Quote:
Hey guys

I'm looking for a portable amp + DAC for ~100 USD. I'm wondering for that sort of money should I get a amp+DAC combo such as the E7 or something like a PA2V2 + a cheap DAC? As the PA2V2 is around 60-70 dollars, what is a good DAC for the rest of the money? Or if a combo is going to be better value at this price point, what other good choices are out there other than the Fiio E7? 

Thanks

What source(s) are you going to be plugging the DAC/Amp into?

Jul 11, 2012 at 3:03 AM Post #3 of 13
Probably a iPod Touch 2nd Gen. Currently I'm using a Nano 3rd Gen since the 3.5mm jack on the Touch is broken, but I aim to fix that through the use of a LOD. I can stretch to something like a PA2V2+E10 if thats better, or even something like a E17. The E17 is defo the highest I can go, and it's really a stretch so unless the difference in the quality of the E17 is really noticeable I would prefer something cheaper. 

Jul 11, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:
Probably a iPod Touch 2nd Gen. Currently I'm using a Nano 3rd Gen since the 3.5mm jack on the Touch is broken, but I aim to fix that through the use of a LOD. I can stretch to something like a PA2V2+E10 if thats better, or even something like a E17. The E17 is defo the highest I can go, and it's really a stretch so unless the difference in the quality of the E17 is really noticeable I would prefer something cheaper. 

Oh then you can forget the DAC idea and just focus on an amp.  Portable DACs that work with iPods and iPhones cost $580 USD or more, so it's out of your budget.  Spend the $100 on an amp.  Here's a great starting point in your search:  http://www.headfonia.com/music-on-a-budget-sub-100-portable-amps-shootout/

Jul 11, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #5 of 13
http://www.head-fi.org/t/596482/the-sub-100-portable-amps-shootout-8-1-amps-compared

You can't use the PA2V2 with the E10 for your portable needs..the E10 is a desktop DAC and amp and has no internal batteries.

YOU DON'T need a DAC for portable needs. All you need is an amp for portable needs and a DAC and amp at home for desktop use and then the E10 and PA2V2 would work...but..it may be redundant.

There aren't many choices past that but I do remember that head fonia and clieos liked the iBasso Dzero better than the E7. The iBasso Dzero was made specifically to strike the E7 down for $100.

I've had the E17 and that was a great all in one device. You are paying for all the featuers and outputs and all in one and portable nature.

Jul 11, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #6 of 13
thanks for all the help- i forgot to mention that i would be using the DAC on my mac + PC at home :p i reason i wanted a DAC + amp was because with the $100 i got i wanted both an amp and a DAC, which made me ask about the amp + dac combos. the iBasso D-Zero looks very good atm..its within my budget and it certainly looks very portable. I just want to ask how the SQ of the iBasso compares with the DAC and amp on the E7 and the amp on the E11. Is the quality comparable? thanks :)

Jul 11, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #7 of 13
ok, in that case I'd go for the e17.

Just as long as you realize you're not going to be bypassing the ipod DAC.

Butt he e17 has a lot of capability, portability and input output options well beyond its price tag

Jul 11, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:
thanks for all the help- i forgot to mention that i would be using the DAC on my mac + PC at home :p i reason i wanted a DAC + amp was because with the $100 i got i wanted both an amp and a DAC, which made me ask about the amp + dac combos. the iBasso D-Zero looks very good atm..its within my budget and it certainly looks very portable. I just want to ask how the SQ of the iBasso compares with the DAC and amp on the E7 and the amp on the E11. Is the quality comparable? thanks :)

Headfonia ranks it like this

E7<Dzero<E10<E17
in terms of sound quality.

The Dzero is meant to be portable and was targeted at killing the E7 so to speak. If you are just going to use the device at home, a full desktop DAC and amp like the E10 would be more beneficial as with the E7 and E17 and Dzero, they have a higher price due to the fact that they are portable.

The E11 and E10 according to head fonia are close. I don't remember which one he preferred more.

Jul 12, 2012 at 2:36 AM Post #9 of 13
Hm..since i also want to be able to have it with my ipod, seems like i am down to the D-zero and the E17. I just want to ask are there any other DAC+Amp combos within that price range? so under the E17 and maybe around the D-Zero. thanks

Jul 12, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:
Hm..since i also want to be able to have it with my ipod, seems like i am down to the D-zero and the E17. I just want to ask are there any other DAC+Amp combos within that price range? so under the E17 and maybe around the D-Zero. thanks

Portable amp and DAC combo?

Nuforces and some lesser known companies that don't usually have much info on. The Nuforces have been known to measure or are objectivelly not that good. I do not know subjectively.

Jul 18, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #11 of 13
I wish there would be a amp/dac forum on the web ,to get shed light on decision making at buying them,.for examp[le i bought the highest end headphone dt880 ,now wanna get to it a high end amp/dac /but again the focus is narrowed down to sound quality detail and warm not volume or other side features,

[size=1.8em] Leckerton audio uha-6s.mkii???[size=1.8em]EHP-O2 Portable Headphone Amplifier???[/size]Arcam rDAC???[/size]

Jul 18, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #12 of 13
LOL, what makes you think another "amp/dac forum" would provide any more clarity on what to buy than head-fi, ABI, etc, etc?  If there were only 3 headphone amp/dacs in the entire world, and you created a forum for the 3 headphone enthusiasts in the entire world, you would have at *least* two different opinions on which of the 3 amps was best...

Jul 18, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #13 of 13
Obey the hypno toad

The DT880 isn't the highest end headphone. 

Head-Fi is the largest audio forum on the net...mainly because being English language based with the fact that English speaking places or European countries with such a base have the disposable income and......I guess popularity etc. Well head fi is the place for all this.

There are many reviews online.

"The teacher opens the door, but you have to step in"

I will be receiving the Arcam rPAC for review soon(Probably) and I have the O2, but.......yeah

Users who are viewing this thread

Back