Looking into headphones!
Dec 11, 2012 at 4:02 AM Post #76 of 105
There are some threads on it. I would say, that you have 3 options here: You can search for hours, do a shot in the mist or settle with the built-in dac, which is actually quite decent.

As of 3 months ago, the e17 did not work with the s3, and I do not think it works now either. You can get the e11 or e7, I would personally get the e11 and a desktop amp if I was in your place. Just be aware, that the e11 can't charge and be used at the same time. Look at this post, and scroll down to some of the newer commments: http://www.androidnz.net/2012/06/galaxy-s-iii-usb-audio-is-it-really.html

Dec 11, 2012 at 4:46 AM Post #77 of 105
Hm...The E11 doesn't seem to be compatible with the S3 (based on what I've read).

However....the Odac+O2 combo IS compatible.

Should I just get that instead of the asgard? (Would eventually get an asgard anyways..)

Dec 11, 2012 at 6:04 AM Post #78 of 105
The e11 is solely an amp, no dac, so ofc it must be compatible.

You could get the o2/odac, and then later on get something even better than the asgaard, if you are that much in to head-fi. I suppose the HE-500 should be fairly well driven by the o2, but I can't really tell you.

Dec 13, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #79 of 105
I just placed my order for the He-400 ^^.

And to Davidsh...if that's the case, should I just buy an E11 and then get an asgard later?

(Would save me about $240 upfront cost right now - just in case i don't like the HE-400 and want something else)

Dec 13, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #81 of 105
Quote:
Congrats on your purchase! The HE-400 is fantastic for it's price. I know that the O2 will drive the HE-400's fine, but I'm not sure about the E11.

Thank you! I imagine it would be. The He-400 doesn't seem HARD to drive necessarily...just that it would scale better with better amps..

I was tempted to overnight but decided the $33 would be better used for an amp.

Dec 13, 2012 at 2:50 AM Post #82 of 105
Quote:
Thank you! I imagine it would be. The He-400 doesn't seem HARD to drive necessarily...just that it would scale better with better amps..

I was tempted to overnight but decided the $33 would be better used for an amp.

An e11 as primary amp would probably not be a good idea, since you can't charge and use it at the same time. I imagine your view of the headphone is correct, and the e11 is not the best solution.

About the O2 I am finding very different opinions on it being good with the HE-400. Some thinks the transparency of the O2 brings out the flaws in the HE-400

Dec 13, 2012 at 2:58 AM Post #83 of 105
Quote:
An e11 as primary amp would probably not be a good idea, since you can't charge and use it at the same time. I imagine your view of the headphone is correct, and the e11 is not the best solution.

About the O2 I am finding very different opinions on it being good with the HE-400. Some thinks the transparency of the O2 brings out the flaws in the HE-400

Dear Davidsh,

I'm only on my pc about 4 hours a day. I work 10 hour shifts. I'm just looking for something good enough to let me play around with the headset as well as be used as a mobile solution.

Do you know how long the E11 charge lasts on average?

Last I saw it was ~10 hours. (Not sure if this is true)

Dec 13, 2012 at 3:45 AM Post #84 of 105
Quote:
Dear Davidsh,

I'm only on my pc about 4 hours a day. I work 10 hour shifts. I'm just looking for something good enough to let me play around with the headset as well as be used as a mobile solution.

Do you know how long the E11 charge lasts on average?

Last I saw it was ~10 hours. (Not sure if this is true)

At least 10 hours of battery time, yes. The charging time will be approximately 200 minutes or around 3 hours, so you won't be able to use it at home with your computer much of the time.
I guess the e11 isn't ideal, but maybe for a start...

Some sure must know better than me. I am not that educated in head-fi. Personally i own the fiio e17 as my only amp.

Dec 13, 2012 at 3:52 AM Post #85 of 105
Quote:
At least 10 hours of battery time, yes. The charging time will be approximately 200 minutes or around 3 hours, so you won't be able to use it at home with your computer much of the time.
I guess the e11 isn't ideal, but maybe for a start...

Some sure must know better than me. I am not that educated in head-fi. Personally i own the fiio e17 as my only amp.

I can see what you mean by the computer thing. I'm getting to the point in life where I don't know if I will have the capability to sit at a computer for 10 hours due to responsibilities anyways :p.

Dec 13, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #86 of 105
Just got the HE-400 (borrowed) in the mail today. I must say they seem to be bang for the buck. They are definitely better than my dt-880, and I am thinking of getting the HE-500 because I can get it somewhat cheaper.
About the amp that I own (the fiio e17), I think they could be better driven. This is especially in the bass region.
But still it feels like the e17 does a decent job, but with a good amp, i suppose you will get an improvement.

Dec 13, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #87 of 105
Ohh, remember it is a very heavy headphone and it leaks alot, but I guess you know
biggrin.gif

Dec 13, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #88 of 105
Quote:
Ohh, remember it is a very heavy headphone and it leaks alot, but I guess you know
biggrin.gif

Indeed. The Banshee feels pretty heavy so I don't think it'll be too hard to adjust. The leaking may be a concern...not sure yet. (at least for work)

I should have done overnight instead of standard :frowning2:...i don't think I'll even get a tracking number...le sigh...

Dec 13, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #89 of 105
Quote:
Indeed. The Banshee feels pretty heavy so I don't think it'll be too hard to adjust. The leaking may be a concern...not sure yet. (at least for work)

I should have done overnight instead of standard :frowning2:...i don't think I'll even get a tracking number...le sigh...

It'll come... Ordered some adapter for my IEM from china. It came 4 weeks later, no tracking. But the wait is the worst 
blink.gif

I must ask, you are not going to use them as transportable headphones, in public and stuff? They are heavy an bulky, and they offer NO isolation whatsoever. At a normal listening level they don't seem to leak that much sound though...

For christmas I am going to get the HE-500, which I am confident must be better than the HE-400. But still, the HE-400 is the step up from HD-600/650, dt-770/880/990 and akg k702. I am very fascinated by the very short decay and seemingly fast speed these have. They seem to be struggling way less than my dt-880. Just missing some in the treble...

Just  a little edit... The iphone 4 do only barely drive them to loud enough volumes, while on my amp I'll go like max 24/60, normally like 20/60

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #90 of 105
So I got the headphones today...and...I don't have my amp yet...and I gotta say...

Not quite what I expected. Hopefully they sound better the more I listen..

Well...that and when I get the amp..

I'm listening to .flacs if that helps at all.

Hell I'd even go as far as to say that they're nearly impossible to listen to without an amp just because of how low the volume is..

Also: The bass seems to be rather absorbed by the ear pads. If I hold the outside I can feel but I can't feel any if they're on. They sound good though.

I'll test it with various games and whatnot and report back =D.

Anybody have the Titanium HD? What settings do you use? Thanks :3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back