Looking for very good SQ, high battery life, not Apple
Nov 13, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #16 of 31
Quote:
Yeah those $105 C2 are only 4GB, but just use mircosd cards. I hardly bother with internal storage. I look at it like a reserve really.
There's another interesting comparison here you can read regarding a few popular players. If you could live with 15 - 18 hours I would actually suggest the Colorfly C3 too, but make sure you do some reading up on it, make sure it suits your requirements. It's purely only for audio, no funky features. Select a folder > play > listen style. But owning both C2 and C3 the Colorfly is a better choice in SQ by quite a margin.
Here's that comparison.
http://tupperwav.com/le-materiel/colorfly-c3-comparatif-avec-4-autres-baladeurs-a-vocation-audiophile/ (good for all you Clip+ owners too)
wink.gif

And here's the C3 review thread. It's becoming very popular but as I said 15 - 18 hours for FLAC.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/625893/review-colorfly-c3
Good luck!

Very interesting!

Personal appreciation

Given the importance I attach to the quality of audio reproduction, this is for me the CK4 who finishes first in this comparison. Followed the Studio V, then the Sansa Clip + who commands respect because of its price. The C3 comes Colorfly then certainly with better audio quality but also higher prices. Finally Rocoo S minore this ranking and suffers from quality audio playback is very average, a firmware again and a high rate altogether.

So that guy rates the Clip+ w/Rockbox above your beloved C3......fascinating!

Nov 13, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #17 of 31
      Very interesting!

So that guy rates the Clip+ w/Rockbox above your beloved C3......fascinating!

You've GOT to be kidding me! He rates gives the Clip+ a personal mention for the UI, price point and rockbox capability's

Not for SQ or ANY other sections of the review.

Nov 13, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #19 of 31
Quote:
You've GOT to be kidding me! He rates gives the Clip+ a personal mention for the UI, price point and rockbox capability's
Not for SQ or ANY other sections of the review.

I knew that would get your attention.....

Nov 13, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #21 of 31
I won't ever need to search for a review again, I'll just ask you to find one.
smile.gif

The C3 is closely priced to the C2 (about $115 on eBay w/ S&H), though I'm not sure if I want to sacrifice that much battery life for better SQ. I would like to get as good SQ as I can get so this becomes my long-term DAP that I'll be happy with, but short(er) battery life would be a bummer.

Would you mind telling me why you like the sound of the Colorfly more than the C2?

If it truly does sound better than the C2, for the similar price it might come out on top, but if the SQ is too great of a difference I would rather have the much greater battery life. Also wonder why so many players don't have hard buttons on them (ie. Colorfly C3). Touch screens might be great (to some), but the only reason I can touch type right now is that I hit the edge of the key when moving my finger to it (of course, there are some, IMO, very stupid touch screen keyboards, but this is getting off topic).

Nov 13, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #23 of 31
The Cowon C2 with Jet Effects reminds me of listening to a decent in-house Sony 5.1 System, it sounds great and is rather enjoyable, but you're still in the mainstream. Whereas the Colorfly reminds me more of a higher end two channel stereo. there's better detail, the stage is wider, separation is much better, you really get an audiophile sense of listening and a better black space behind your music. The C2 really is a decent player still. But IMO, for the best audio experience Colorfly would be my choice.

Remember though the C3 has less power, so depending on what you will be running with this player should also be taken into consideration. The C3 will be absolutely fine for most IEM's and can run my 60ohm MDR V6 no problems (actually really well) but more demanding headphones it will have a hard time with.

Nov 13, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #24 of 31
I don't use anything like amps or headphones that need extra power to drive them. ATM, the headphones I use are closer to the Monoprice MHP-839 (or the Grado SR60i when I finally get them), so power isn't an issue.

I think that I can get over a shorter battery life if SQ is as good as I have read, so around $100 for a Colorfly C3 doesn't sound too bad (especially w/ Black Thursday :wink: coming so close). Any DAP that sounds better than Colorfly C3 around the $200 range as another step up?

Nov 13, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #25 of 31
I don't use anything like amps or headphones that need extra power to drive them. ATM, the headphones I use are closer to the Monoprice MHP-839 (or the Grado SR60i when I finally get them), so power isn't an issue.

I think that I can get over a shorter battery life if SQ is as good as I have read, so around $100 for a Colorfly C3 doesn't sound too bad (especially w/ Black Thursday :wink: coming so close). Any DAP that sounds better than Colorfly C3 around the $200 range as another step up?

Possibly Colorfly CK4. (C3's bigger brother) I'm still waiting on one to arrive and can't comment. It's also not the prettiest thing in town and rather large for a portable.

Plus the battery time is limited to about 12 hours.

Apart from that, I've given it all she's got for you. :wink:

http://doctorhead.ru/images/misc/105_20110823-155258_vbig_1314100379.jpg

Nov 13, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #26 of 31
Well thanks for all of the helpful information. Unless I can find a J3 for $100, the Colorfly C3 will be my newest target DAP until the next hidden gem gets uncovered.

Also, just 12 hours? Dam. Now that's taking battery life too low for a fair trade off of SQ. Anyway, thanks for the info. Do you know the best place to pick up a C3? I found one on eBay for $115 w/ S&H, but is there another retailer selling for slightly less? (Also, with sales after Thanksgiving coming up, which place is most likely to drop the price?)

Nov 14, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #27 of 31
You can get one here for $105 free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/221128029338?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Or here for a little cheaper. (this way requires a two step payment process but works out cheaper)

http://www.mistertao.com/index.php?main_page=search&status=All&SearchKey=Colorfly%20c3&page=1

Nov 14, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #28 of 31
I think I can get a C3 from the MisterTao website for about $92 w/ S&H, but I've never used this site before, so what do you mean it's a two step payment process? Do I pay S&H separate or something else? Also, have you used this site before?

Nov 14, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #29 of 31
I think I can get a C3 from the MisterTao website for about $92 w/ S&H, but I've never used this site before, so what do you mean it's a two step payment process? Do I pay S&H separate or something else? Also, have you used this site before?

What you do is add the C3 to your cart > pay the item price > pay a small amount for them to ship it from another warehouse. (takes about a day)

When it arrives to MisterTao they charge you the second payment which covers your international shipping fee.

It sounds complicated but really what you said is it will cost you roughly $92.

I will add I'm still waiting on a silicon case from MisterTao for over a fortnight, so I'm not exactly sure on how 'quick' their shipping is. Whereas the ebay member I linked I had my C3 in about 8 - 9 days to Australia. So, if the extra cash isn't going to break you I'd just purchase ebay, save all the hassle.

Nov 14, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #30 of 31
Thanks for the info on the site, though I might just use eBay for the simplicity.

Also, you mentioned that some headphones would have a hard time w/ the C3. While I don't think these would, do you think these are okay headphones to be getting the best out of the SQ of the C3?

Taken from the deals thread:
Quote:

I have a pair of Monoprice MHP-839 to work with, but I'd like to get just a little more variety in my listening options before settling down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back