Looking for the perfect Headphones
Nov 21, 2010 at 12:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Regoma

New Head-Fier
Greetings from France !

I'm currently trying to find The headphones for around 500€. It would be plugged on a 100€ sound card (if necessary I can do 400 for the headphones and 200 for the card, I haven't bought the card yet, there is way too much choice..) and it would play CD's or FLACs.

I discovered HiFi with a Sennheiser HD595. I bought it one year ago and for the 160€ it costed I must say I really love it but...I'm getting tired of its lack of bass, it's a real pain sometimes.
I do not want bassy headphones like the Bose OE but if I had to choose between "bright" (according to your glossary :p) and bassy headphones, I would definitely take the bassy one. I can really hardly stand the "personality" of my HD595 anymore.

I first thought about buying speakers+amplifier but I think I'll get a better sound quality for my budget if I buy headphones. So I looked but I'm just lost ! I'd like over-ear headphones and..thats' it ! That's my only criterion !

If I had to chose speakers I think I would take a Marantz PM5004:
http://us.marantz.com/Products/3188.asp

and Mordaunt-Short Aviano 1:
http://www.mordauntshort.com/summary.php?PID=77
Still with a new sound card.

Should I really go for headphones ?
If yes, do you have anything to suggest me ?

Thanks !

Nov 22, 2010 at 2:57 AM Post #4 of 18
I currently run Denon D5000 (300 euro on amazon.uk) and e7/e9 dac/amp (140 euro on amazon,uk) and they sound great.  Good solid bass and I think very musical.  Just tossing my setup out there. I am sure others will have some other idea that may better maximize your budget.

Nov 22, 2010 at 2:07 PM Post #5 of 18
So I read that I need an amplifier for the quality of sound (and for the power also, but that's not what I'm looking for).
And that's...a new problem :D
How can I know if the sound card I'll choose will "deserve" my amplifier and heaphones ? Anyone is using a computer around here ? :)

Nov 22, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #6 of 18

Quote:
So I read that I need an amplifier for the quality of sound (and for the power also, but that's not what I'm looking for).
And that's...a new problem :D
How can I know if the sound card I'll choose will "deserve" my amplifier and heaphones ? Anyone is using a computer around here ? :)

Soundcards are always a tradeoff if you use one for DA conversion before amplifier. There is only so much you can ram into that single small card. Still, some of them are actually quite good like X-Fi Elite Pro or Auzentechs equivalents, and studio cards like Esi Juli@ can be very good, but they still do not hold candle for external dacs. But dont overthink it, you can get a good start with decent soundcard. I used my Elite Pro quite a while before plugging Keces and now Stello dacs to it.

Nov 22, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #7 of 18
I have no idea of the price of the X-Fi Elite Pro, it seems to be an old card and I don't think they're still selling it. What was its price ? (I saw 230£ somewhere but it was the only price I could find)

For a decent DAC (Digital to Analog Converter, right ?), how much do you think it would be ? Is it worth it for my budget ?

Nov 22, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #8 of 18

Quote:
I currently run Denon D5000 (300 euro on amazon.uk) and e7/e9 dac/amp (140 euro on amazon,uk) and they sound great.  Good solid bass and I think very musical.  Just tossing my setup out there. I am sure others will have some other idea that may better maximize your budget.

This exact setup actually likes like a good choice for you.  The e7 acts as the sound cards, and the e9 will power the headphones quite well.  To save even more money I think the denon d2000's are a good choice too.  

Nov 22, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #9 of 18
I was using a Nuforce Icon HDP DAC/amp with my HD-595s, and it sounded great, but I understand what you are saying about the lack of bass.  The bass is there, and it sounded good, but something just wasn't satisfying to me.  It was like chewing great tasting food, but spitting it out rather than swallowing it.  After reading through a lot of online reviews, I decided to get a pair of Denon D5000s.  This did the trick for me, and I am very happy and satisfied now.  The subtle impact that was missing with the HD-595s has been resolved. 

I'd suggest spending more on an amp and grabbing a pair of Denon D2000s.  These should fill the hole in the sound that you are missing, and you might even find that with a better amp/dac, the Sennheiser might perform more to your liking.

I had tried using the HD-595s with my Total Airhead amp, and this amp just didn't have the oomph to drive them to their full potential.  Properly amped, the HD-595s are excellent phones for the money, but the bass just wasn't there for me at the level I was expecting them to provide.

Nov 23, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #10 of 18
I cannot seem to find the D5000 at the price you said Mikop. The best offer was 370€ :)

So that leaves me 330€ (since I'm not buying a sound card anymore as you adviced me). That should do for a good amp and DAC, no ?
But tell me something...headphones' amp are just like speakers' amp, they have a "personality", right ? I'm quite afraid to make the wrong choice, to take something that won't match the D5000 !

And I forget, I'll sell the HD595 so I might have an extra 80-100€. But the thing is that...the foams are dirty (it's nothing, just dust, but I can't find how to get it off !)... :S (if you have a trick for this sonitus PLEASE tell me :D )

Nov 23, 2010 at 3:23 AM Post #11 of 18
Regoma you need to explain what you are after, what kind of music you like and what kind of sound you like, anyway you should consider Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 600 ohm, these seem to satisfy a lot of listeners looking for their perfect headphones, however with your budget I think you should check out the new Sony MDR-Z1000.

Nov 23, 2010 at 9:30 AM Post #13 of 18

Quote:
I have no idea of the price of the X-Fi Elite Pro, it seems to be an old card and I don't think they're still selling it. What was its price ? (I saw 230£ somewhere but it was the only price I could find)

For a decent DAC (Digital to Analog Converter, right ?), how much do you think it would be ? Is it worth it for my budget ?

Yes it is an old card, but I think it is still Creatives flagship. But I'd rather get X-Fi Prelude from Auzentech, creative cards which Auzentech has modded better. This is if you use your computer to gaming aswell. If not, then I'd rather look for studio cards like above mentioned ESI Juli@. They are not too expensive either. At Thomann you can get one for 118€. Cheaper than gamer cards and yet better soundquality for music listening.

For DACs you'd better ask at dedicated source forum here.

Nov 23, 2010 at 12:23 PM Post #14 of 18

Quote:
Regoma you need to explain what you are after, what kind of music you like and what kind of sound you like, anyway you should consider Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 600 ohm, these seem to satisfy a lot of listeners looking for their perfect headphones, however with your budget I think you should check out the new Sony MDR-Z1000.

You're right I should have started with that. I am what you can call an eclectic audiophile. But what I listen is 40% electronic music and 60% others. So I do appreciate bass but not really bassy sound systems (my only exemple is the Bose OE) and as said, I really cannot stand neutral sound anymore. Just an agressive sound that moves you :)

About the DT990, they only cost 140€ ! Not that I think price is everything but it tells quite a little and I think I can get a better equipment for my budget, no ?
For the Sony MDR-Z1000, I looked a little and they seem really nice, at least on the paper. I think I need to wait for them to come out and be reviewed (they should be released this month). Let's just hope Sony won't make one of these stupid 1$=1€ conversion rate. (that would be...730€ :D )
I found them on 2 websites
http://warehouse123.com/store/product_information.php?pid=22284&ptext=Sony-MDR-Z1000-Studio-Monitor-Headphone-Black
http://www.audiocubes.com/product_info.php?products_id=2892
But on the other side, there is no review of it yet and nothing on the DJ category of Sony's website

I need you to help me understand something:
1) If I buy an amplifier and a DAC, I don't need a sound card ? (the signal will still go through the audio chipset of my motherboard before going into the DAC and amp, that's why it sounds weird to me)
2) But if I only take an amp, I do need a sound card (even though the pair DAC+AMP seems to be a better idea)

PS: yes Maza I think I'll go there once I have an idea of what headphones I'm buying :wink:

Nov 23, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #15 of 18

Quote:
Quote:

You're right I should have started with that. I am what you can call an eclectic audiophile. But what I listen is 40% electronic music and 60% others. So I do appreciate bass but not really bassy sound systems (my only exemple is the Bose OE) and as said, I really cannot stand neutral sound anymore. Just an agressive sound that moves you :)

About the DT990, they only cost 140€ ! Not that I think price is everything but it tells quite a little and I think I can get a better equipment for my budget, no ?
For the Sony MDR-Z1000, I looked a little and they seem really nice, at least on the paper. I think I need to wait for them to come out and be reviewed (they should be released this month). Let's just hope Sony won't make one of these stupid 1$=1€ conversion rate. (that would be...730€ :D )
I found them on 2 websites
http://warehouse123.com/store/product_information.php?pid=22284&ptext=Sony-MDR-Z1000-Studio-Monitor-Headphone-Black
http://www.audiocubes.com/product_info.php?products_id=2892
But on the other side, there is no review of it yet and nothing on the DJ category of Sony's website

I need you to help me understand something:
1) If I buy an amplifier and a DAC, I don't need a sound card ? (the signal will still go through the audio chipset of my motherboard before going into the DAC and amp, that's why it sounds weird to me)
2) But if I only take an amp, I do need a sound card (even though the pair DAC+AMP seems to be a better idea)

PS: yes Maza I think I'll go there once I have an idea of what headphones I'm buying :wink:

Price isnt everything! DT990 is bit modified version of DT880 which used to be popular headphone for guys who wanted neutrality (minus the treble spike). Unlike DT880 DT990 has bit boosted bass and treble, leaving midrange bit behind but it is obvious they are "brothers", both having similar good and bad sides. Frequency response graph is the biggest difference, tailored for extra excitement. Might be exactly what you need. I used to like them, but treble was eenyweeny bit too much with equipment I had at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back