Looking for the next headphone: ~$1,000
Oct 7, 2007 at 5:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 84

kelvinz

500+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for something that is all across the board better than the AKG K701.

What would you suggest for ~$1000

Open, closed it doesn't matter.

Oct 7, 2007 at 5:57 AM Post #3 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by uraflit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you should check out a K1000! =PPP

I would love to try out the k1000

1. It is discontinued

2. It requires a $1,000+ amplifier to make it shine
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 7, 2007 at 6:10 AM Post #4 of 84
Gs1k
gs1000.gif

Oct 7, 2007 at 6:14 AM Post #6 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by kelvinz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking for something that is all across the board better than the AKG K701.

What would you suggest for ~$1000

Open, closed it doesn't matter.

Ugh... Edition 9 =] Especially if you don't have a godly source/amp, Edition 9 will definitely deliver your moneys worth.

Oct 7, 2007 at 5:35 PM Post #7 of 84
The Grado GS1K interest me but from what I've read they are not across the board better than the K701's.

I've never heard a Ultrasone headphone, what can I expect with the Edition 9's?

What about the ATH-W5000's?

Oct 7, 2007 at 6:06 PM Post #9 of 84
Quote:

I would love to try out the k1000

1. It is discontinued

2. It requires a $1,000+ amplifier to make it shine
evil_smiley.gif

1. it's fairly easy to find and comes up in the FS forums quite often
2. true, but it's SO worth it!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 7, 2007 at 6:23 PM Post #10 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. it's fairly easy to find and comes up in the FS forums quite often
2. true, but it's SO worth it!
very_evil_smiley.gif

I'm sure they are quite awesome but I'm not really looking for a "project" headphone.

I want whatever I buy next to be flat out better than my K701's
icon10.gif

Noticed you are looking for a W5000 and not a K1000
tongue.gif

Oct 7, 2007 at 6:51 PM Post #11 of 84
Quote:

I want whatever I buy next to be flat out better than my K701's
icon10.gif

Even out of a cheap amp, the K1000 or a large number of other AKGs will be better than the K701.

Oct 7, 2007 at 7:23 PM Post #12 of 84
Quote:

The Grado GS1K interest me but from what I've read they are not across the board better than the K701's.

I dunno -- in this price range, I think it's more about finding a sound sig that you like rather than one being "better" than the other.

If ya give us something to work with, maybe you can get better info than people just randomly suggesting models to you. F'r instance, what specifically about your K701's has you yearning for more? What models have you been fond of? Do you prefer a forward, front-row sound, or is a wide soundstage more important to you? How much bass do you want? Do you prefer low volume listening, or do you like to rock out? Must they be cans, or are you open to IEMs? Inquiring minds wanna know!
biggrin.gif

Oct 7, 2007 at 8:10 PM Post #13 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Torula Yeast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dunno -- in this price range, I think it's more about finding a sound sig that you like rather than one being "better" than the other.

If ya give us something to work with, maybe you can get better info than people just randomly suggesting models to you. F'r instance, what specifically about your K701's has you yearning for more? What models have you been fond of? Do you prefer a forward, front-row sound, or is a wide soundstage more important to you? How much bass do you want? Do you prefer low volume listening, or do you like to rock out? Must they be cans, or are you open to IEMs? Inquiring minds wanna know!
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the suggestion!

I think in a nutshell I'm looking for a headphone that is more musical while retaining the sound stage and analytical qualities of the K701.

I'll try and expand on this as I think a bit more about your question

Oct 7, 2007 at 8:12 PM Post #14 of 84
Quote:

Thanks for the suggestion!

I think in a nutshell I'm looking for a headphone that is more musical while retaining the sound stage and analytical qualities of the K701.

I'll try and expand on this as I think a bit more about your question

Balanced HD-650. Even single-ended, my HD-650 blows everything away in musicality with a clear margin.

Oct 7, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #15 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schalldämpfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Balanced HD-650. Even single-ended, my HD-650 blows everything away in musicality with a clear margin.

Everything as in every headphone you own or every headphone in existance? If it's the latter, you must have some rig.

If it has to be a $1000 headphone and closed or open dosen't matter, there really isn't much discussion. GS1000 or ED9.

Quote:

GS1000 is definately musical and the soundstage is vast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back