Looking for the best deal up to $50 - $60 ... (Headphones)
Jun 6, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #16 of 29
I don't have any personal experience with any of the headphones you listed in the first post except the HD419. I found it quite boring to listen to and gave it away. As far as other headphones that have been suggested, the 681 Evo is becoming pretty popular and should suit your needs fairly well. As far as the Atlas is concerned, its rather new, so not that many people have given it a real try. I'd suggest giving the JVC S500 a look as well.

Jun 6, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #17 of 29
JVC HA-S500. They have great bass response. On ear instead of over ear, so more portable. Easy to drive with portable devices.
+1 Excellent choice, best value for under $50!

Jun 6, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #18 of 29
www.head-fi.org/t/621063/the-jvc-ha-s500-appreciation-fan-thread/

Over 8000 posts about the HA-S500's

Jun 7, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #19 of 29
JVC HA-S500. They have great bass response. On ear instead of over ear, so more portable. Easy to drive with portable devices.

Quote:
I don't have any personal experience with any of the headphones you listed in the first post except the HD419. I found it quite boring to listen to and gave it away. As far as other headphones that have been suggested, the 681 Evo is becoming pretty popular and should suit your needs fairly well. As far as the Atlas is concerned, its rather new, so not that many people have given it a real try. I'd suggest giving the JVC S500 a look as well.

www.head-fi.org/t/621063/the-jvc-ha-s500-appreciation-fan-thread/

Over 8000 posts about the HA-S500's

Alright, a lot of positive words for the JVC HA-S500'S  ...

So now I am wondering between Superlux's headphone, Audio-Technica's headphones and JVC HA-S500's headphone.
So, I guess there is no big difference between them, but which one do you recommend me as the best one of this three cans?

And something last - if anyone have opinion or personal experience with the models in my first comment - please, share it ...

And again - thank you everybody! :)

Jun 7, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #20 of 29
I haven't checked in awhile, how close is the JVC S680 to his budget? If its pretty close, might be worth it to save up a little more.

Jun 7, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #21 of 29
So now I am wondering between Superlux's headphone, Audio-Technica's headphones and JVC HA-S500's headphone.
So, I guess there is no big difference between them, but which one do you recommend me as the best one of this three cans?

I haven't heard the other two (I used to own the S500s), but I would imagine that there is a significant difference in how each sounds. I'm would bet that the frequency response is quite different for each.

Jun 7, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #22 of 29
I haven't checked in awhile, how close is the JVC S680 to his budget? If its pretty close, might be worth it to save up a little more.
Yes but they require at least 5000 hours of burn in, or so some of the fanatics claim... :D

Jun 7, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #23 of 29
I'd like to see a higher end carbon nanotube made... Then again, for all I know there is one, not like I've been keeping tabs.

Jun 7, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #24 of 29

The price of the JVC S680 is too high ($77,50) for me (right now) ... :frowning2:
And with this I enter different quality region, I guess there will be some other good options to consider about.
But never mind, thank you! :)

I haven't heard the other two (I used to own the S500s), but I would imagine that there is a significant difference in how each sounds. I'm would bet that the frequency response is quite different for each.

Yes, you're right ... but no problem, thank you for your support! :)

Jun 8, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #25 of 29
  Given your requirements, I can't see a better candidate than Audio-Technica ATH-D40fs.
Selling now for 49$ on Amazon, which is in stark contrast with their original price in the late 90's (in the vicinity of 150$).
A dated design but can still hold its' own even against it's newer siblings like M50.

I've heard the M40fs, very recessed upper mids but otherwise very detailed for that price point. Has that been your experience? They are great but I wouldn't really call them neutral.

Jun 9, 2014 at 4:00 AM Post #26 of 29
  I've heard the M40fs, very recessed upper mids but otherwise very detailed for that price point. Has that been your experience? 

Not really...
The M40fs is one of the flattest headphone I've heard, actually. "Very recessed upper mids" doesn't characterize what I remember about the sound of that headphone or the D40fs I recommended (and own for well over a decade).
Perhaps your reference for 'neutral' is a more aggressive and forward sound.

Jun 9, 2014 at 4:55 AM Post #27 of 29
  Not really...
The M40fs is one of the flattest headphone I've heard, actually. "Very recessed upper mids" doesn't characterize what I remember about the sound of that headphone or the D40fs I recommended (and own for well over a decade).
Perhaps your reference for 'neutral' is a more aggressive and forward sound.

Have you heard the HD 600? That's my definition of neutral. I was just listening to Sonic Sense, and since I currently own the K240S, SRH440, and 280 Pro, I can confirm that the headphones sound exactly like they do on that page. If a headphone recording on that page sounds almost the same as the original file which they also provide, you can almost guarantee neutrality. Listening to the samples of the DT880 Pro 250, HD 600, HD 650 all sound very close to the original. When you listen to the M40fs it sounds distant, woody, and just plain incorrect and that was my experience listening to a friend's as well. My definition of neutral need not be bright nor aggressive; I've owned the 7506 that so many call "neutral" and I highly disagree. That is a painful headphone to listen to for long periods of time, and isn't neutral. The HD 600 has very smooth mids, with an almost completely grain-free treble with amazing extension both on bass and treble alike. That's neutral to my ears, and the M40fs doesn't even come close.

The more interesting discovery on Sonic Sense is how amazingly close the M40x, on the other hand, comes to sounding like the original reference material. Moreso than the M50 or M50x, which is expected. Now that's something I definitely need to check out myself and I hope someone else could confirm it really is very neutral. Anyway, this is getting just a bit OT since we're supposed to be talking about cans in the $50-60 range.

I'm just a neutral-head, and, no, none of my current cans are really good enough for me. lol

Jun 9, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #28 of 29
I have tried the AT M30, M40X, M50 and none of these are even close to be neutral. Also they have a very small head stage (they sound very closed with a V-shaped "straight in your face" type of sound). Some people likethis, and it might be impressive the 10 first minute but this for me is a boring sound because after a few songs you already have enough and need a break.

During this listening/testing afternoon I tried other headphones and I like the Brainwavs HM5 and the Shure SRH440 too. They have a more open sound which I think sounds much more natural.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back