Looking for something that CONTRASTS my AD700s
Nov 22, 2010 at 2:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

drew.haynes

100+ Head-Fier
As the title says, I have AD700s, but I am sure at some point in the coming months I am going to get the itch to buy again. I love the AD700s so far, absolutely love them. So.. if I get a second pair of cans, I don't want to try to IMPROVE on the AD700 sound, as I am sure I will be disappointed as diminishing returns quickly kick in - I don't want to spend 3x the price for something only a little better sounding.

To avoid that dilemma, I figure I'd like to look for something that has entirely different strengths and weaknesses. Naturally this may include closed-ear cans for the typically inherent bass they provide and different soundstage.

I'd be willing to consider the $100-300 range.

Thoughts?

Nov 22, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #2 of 5
If you want something genre-wise that will complement the AD700s, I'm thinking Grado. The AD700s take jazz and classical, Grados take rock and metal duty.
If you want something sound-wise that will complement the AD700s, possibly try DT990s. Bass and detail, but missing some midrange, which is pretty much the opposite of what the AD700s are like.
If you want something style-wise that will complement the AD700s, try something like Phiaton MS400s, AT ESW9, or M50s. Somewhat portable, closed, bassier for different types of music, and isolating.

Nov 22, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #3 of 5
I understand what you meant as far as genre-complementary, and as far as sound-complimentary. I am not entirely sure what you mean as far as style-wise. It sounds like your description there: closed, bassier, isolating.... would be similar to the ones you mentioned under "sound-wise".

Edit: After looking up those three examples, I may understand your meaning when you say complementary style-wise, as those three don't appear to be as massive physically as the AD700.
Quote:
If you want something genre-wise that will complement the AD700s, I'm thinking Grado. The AD700s take jazz and classical, Grados take rock and metal duty.
If you want something sound-wise that will complement the AD700s, possibly try DT990s. Bass and detail, but missing some midrange, which is pretty much the opposite of what the AD700s are like.
If you want something style-wise that will complement the AD700s, try something like Phiaton MS400s, AT ESW9, or M50s. Somewhat portable, closed, bassier for different types of music, and isolating.

Nov 22, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #4 of 5
Been reading reviews some. I am starting to be tempted by the M50s... because they look to be along the same lines of price vs performance that you find with the AD700s which I love so far. It sounds like the M50 may be particularly good for electronic stuff - which I could see myself listening to more dubstep on my next pair of headphones, whereas that is not the genre I would lean toward with the AD700s.

Any other thoughts? I'm still fairly unfamiliar with a lot of my options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back