Looking for some iems for wife. She uses marshmallows.
Oct 1, 2011 at 6:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

chef8489

Headphoneus Supremus
Well she loves the feel of the marshmallows, but I would like her to take the next step in iems but have the same comfort as her mallows. It has been about 4 or 5 years since I looked at non customs and could use some advice. Eventually if she can start to hear the difference I will go customs with her when I buy my jh-16's, but it will be a bit of time till I get those.

Oct 1, 2011 at 7:28 AM Post #3 of 9
There is no price range really, well there is as a pair of jh 5 pro is 400.00 so less than that. She listens to everything but mostly rock. I want good sound with good separation. Want the music to be opened up and hear things she cant with her current ones. Comfort is key to her. the mallows were the first iems she found comfortable.

Oct 1, 2011 at 7:36 AM Post #4 of 9
You should be able to find the Westone 4's for under $400 fairly easily, with a coupon or whatever. I'll admit I was not impressed with them at first, but they have really grown to impress me. Took a couple weeks to appreciate them. They are very balanced and detailed without being bright. I would take a look at the Westone 3, Westone 4, and Westone UM3X, but there are plenty of other options I am sure. If she likes more forward and lush mids, the UM3X is a good choice for rock, I'd say. The Westone 3 is the least balanced with more energetic treble, harder hitting bass. I have found them all to be very comfortable and I have pretty small ears.

I'm sure there are other options, but I haven't owned many top tiers outside of Westone stuff. A lot of people seem to be big fans of the Vsonic GR07, but I can't vouch for them being comfortable or not like I can with the Westones.

Depends what kind of sound signature she likes best because all three I listed have pretty different sound signatures in my opinion. W4 is the most neutral IMO, with the UM3X just behind it, and the W3 is the most fun of the bunch. Under $400 there are plenty of options, so hopefully some other people can offer good advice. I'm hoping not to see the TF10 as a recommendation, because comfort is definitely not their strong suit. Phonak Audeo PFE's were comfortable for me, with great clear sound and a good price (under $150).

Oct 1, 2011 at 7:41 AM Post #5 of 9
If she wants comfort like her 'Mallows then I suggest anything that supports Shure Olives, as that will be the closest she gets  to the same fit and feel as the 'Mallows. That would, of course, include what Zalithian suggested above with the Westone 4, 3's and 2's. 

However, in saying that, Zalithian claims to have small ears yet I can for definite say that the W4 housings are too big for my ears and the W2's fit me very snuggly. So I guess everyone has a different definition for small ears :D

Oct 1, 2011 at 7:48 AM Post #6 of 9
e208ee09.jpg
My definition of small ears. :p

Oct 1, 2011 at 8:52 AM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
e208ee09.jpg
My definition of small ears. :p

You have no earlobe!! :p

Mine are definitely smaller. See below, Westone 2's fit just. 

Right, enough of that chatter, will definitely end up derailing the thread haha. 

The 'Mallows are pretty small, however it is due to their design that they are comfortable. I don't think there was a mention that your wife's ears were small, just that the 'Mallows were the first ones she found comfortable.

Edit - And yes, I'm growing a beard.

Oct 1, 2011 at 9:17 AM Post #8 of 9
She has to use the small tips so I would imagine they were small.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back