Looking for some high end portable gear, any advice?
Mar 18, 2011 at 7:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Serafim

New Head-Fier
Hi, figured it was time for an upgrade, and I need a portable amp with my ipod 160gb and a new LOD cable.
I want to order the cable and the amp from the same source, but i will compromise on that if needed.

I could list all my needs to specify my rig, but I guess I want it all. Something that has no obvious weaknesses in terms of fidelity and usability. A sound signature like the SR-71A appeals to me, but im open for DACs too.

And this time around, cost is not an issue, and i want to create a delicious rig that is still usable.
I was wondering about a SR-71B, but I have a hard time reaching Ray Samuels Audio on mail.
Another thing is that i might be doing away with the ipod all together, but not right now i think.
But if you have ideas on what would be the ultimate portable rig to drive everything from demanding cans
to IEMs, enlighten me.

Im open for your advice, and hope you can help me building the ultimate portable rig.

Mar 18, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #2 of 5
I recently picked up a RSA predator and Quables silvercab...for under $500 it might be hard to beat.  The Predator really has a lot of power.  it really sounds good too.  Wider soundstage, deeper lows, very clear and musical with lots of punch and dynamics.   The LOD makes a big difference.   I'm sure more expensive LOD's may improve the sound but just getting out of the headphone output makes a huge difference even with a mid grade cable like the silvercab, which is $70.    Seems LOD's could easily break if you are not very careful with them as they are kind of in a strain.   I am sure they are made for that but also are subject to easy damage.   I wouldn't spend a lot on one but that's me.  

Mar 18, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #3 of 5
I absolutely LOVE the silvercab, the sound for the price is great plus it's actually DURABLE. Qables interconnects in general are my favorite actually.

As for your amp your really don't need the 71b for your ipod, as far as I'm concerned unless you are going to listen balanced anything past the Mustang is superfluous.

Mar 18, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #4 of 5
The Silvercab seems to be the best product for the money.   The mustang and predator are the same as the mustang only it has the dac/usb built in.   The predator totally rocks...really makes a huge difference with some good phones like my Denon AH-D5000's.

Mar 18, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #5 of 5
yeah for sure, i use the d5000s with an ibasso pb1 and love them. my point with mustang comment was basically that i don't see the point of the protector or sr71b when the ipods dac is firstly not very good, and secondly not balanced

Users who are viewing this thread

Back