Looking for some closed headphones
Jan 3, 2011 at 4:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Liver

500+ Head-Fier
I understand there are a so many threads on people looking for closed headphones.  I did read many but I do have a specific question that hopefully someone can answer.

I totally love the Sony sound and comfort.  I generally game with the MDR-F1, listen to music with the MDR-SA5000, and watch movies with the Beyer DT880 (with gel pads).  I'm looking for a closed set of headphones to block out some (if not all) of the HVAC system in this rental house.

I have tried using my UE 11 customs, but IEMs aren't really designed for 3D sound.  Its actually quite unnerving watching a movie with them on.

Characteristics of the MDR-SA5000 that I love (may not be your opinion, but it is my perception)

1.  I enjoy them kinda bright.  Great for gaming and movies.  I also enjoy them for female vocals.
2.  One of the fastest headphone in regard to attack AND decay (dynamic headphones).
3.  Very comfortable.  I do NOT like on the ear headphones, I like them circumaural.

Any suggestions on closed headphones that have those characteristics?  I don't want a "mellow" or "laid back" set.

Jan 3, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #2 of 7
Other head-fiers might disagre, but I think the HD25 fit your bill (except for being on-ear, but they are reasonably comfortable)

Jan 3, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #3 of 7

Other head-fiers might disagre, but I think the HD25 fit your bill (except for being on-ear, but they are reasonably comfortable)

I've tried on ear phones and I did not like them. No comment on sound quality, but the comfort was not there for me.

In fact I didn't use headphones for a long time because of that. Then I was introduced to circumaural headphones!

Jan 5, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #5 of 7
Maybe the DT 770?

Closed, has good highs and lows

Really good depth and soundstage for games and movies

But you may need an amp to enjoy it to the fullest

Jan 5, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #6 of 7
The new closed flagship Sony MDR-Z1000 may be exactly what you are looking for. There is a thread around here somewhere.

Jan 11, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #7 of 7
I have similar tastes to you and researched this a while ago. If price is no object, I thought the AT W5000 was the best option. I've never heard them, that is based on research on these boards. I was looking for something more durable that matched the attack speed and balance (what most here would call bright) of the old Koss A250s or the Ety ER4s. I was actually looking for open phones but he short list ended up as the SA5000s or the closed W5000s.

I didn't really like the Senn HD-25s, even recabled they are bright but not in a natural way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back