Looking for smallest, least protruding IEM
Aug 27, 2014 at 4:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

quicksilver96

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all, been out of the scene for quite some time but I still see some familiar names... 

Anyway, my tiny and long loved Ety er6i has finally passed on.  The sound quality wasn't fantastic, but they were the ONLY iem that I could get inside my motorcycle helmet's tight neck seal area without disrupting the seal.  I've tried the search feature to find the smallest iem and most threads relate either to small ear canals or small prices, neither of which I care about.

So to cap it off, I'm looking for the smallest, least protruding IEM on the market, price point is not terribly important as long as the features warrant the price.  That said, I don't really care too much about sound quality since they will be primarily used while operating a motorcycle, which isn't what I would call a critical listening environment.  They should seal well and be able to hold the seal in a high vibration environment. 

Thanks!

Aug 27, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #2 of 19
The AKG K323XS should be considered. A couple of good reviews on Head-fi somewhere(with more about the size and fit/iso). Haven't tried them myself though.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/586909/the-discovery-thread-new-dweavers-take-pioneer-dje1500-pg-1710-sfwalcers-earphone-comparo-pg-1727/21090#post_10234457

Aug 27, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #3 of 19
UE700 is a good contender.

Carbo Tenore is just a little bit bigger but still very small and excellent SQ.

Etymotic ER6 was a nice tiny IEM.

Aug 27, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #5 of 19
If you wear them over the ear, the HiFiMan RE-400/RE-600 don't protrude much at all.  Even with my tiny ears.  The other thing that comes to mind is the Aurisonics Rockets, they don't seem to protrude much from the pictures I've seen.  Not 100% sure about the Rockets though, so don't quote me on that.  From pictures alone, the AKG K323XS also do look quite small and compact.  

Aug 27, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #7 of 19
Nooooo....... nooooo....................

Quote:
  The CK10, Westone 40, Sony XBA1, Sennheiser IE80/8, GR07 are small and good sounding.

Aug 28, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #8 of 19
Thanks for the suggestions all.

The RE-400/600 appear to be externally identical, anyone confirm this?

From pictures, the CK10 looked like a serious contender.  However, it is also discontinued.

UE700 is a good contender.

Carbo Tenore is just a little bit bigger but still very small and excellent SQ.

Etymotic ER6 was a nice tiny IEM.

Do you have both the UE700 and Carbo Tenore?  From pics, the carbo looks like it protrudes a bit less.  What is your take on this?

The a-jay five looks pretty small, but I can't find any pics of them in someone's ear.  Also, the flat cable could cause issues.  The q-jay could also be a good fit but I'm not sure about protrusion.

Currently the AKG K323XS looks like the smallest.  For the price, I will order some and sell them if they don't work out.  Feel free to keep the suggestions coming.

Aug 28, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #9 of 19
I use westone w40 on my motorcycle. they fit relatively deep and the body of the headphones sits well inside my outer ear. so id say any of the new w series will do you well. over the ear cables works best aswell theres less chance of tugging them out when you put helmet on.

i find if you pull the straps of your helmet out to widen the entrance when you put them on if your careful you will onlt flick the top of your ear as you put it on leaving the earphones nicely in place.

if none are to your taste how about a quick search for some jays q jays. dunno how easy they are to find now tho

Aug 28, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #10 of 19
The lower-end Shures (SE215 and SE315) have a "negative profile" design that means they fit inside your ears and don't stick out of the hollow part at all. Since you liked the ER6, though, you might find them too dark and muffled.

Aug 28, 2014 at 2:37 AM Post #11 of 19
I have shure se535's and although they are large, they are quite slim and don't protrude from my ears at all. I am able to sleep comfortable on my side when wearing them. I also have some klipsch x10's which are much smaller and sit snugly in my ears with the right tips with only the flexible strain relief protruding. My ie800s are also pretty small but due to the strain reliefs, the vents stick out a bit, they can bend back in your ear relatovely comfortably however. These three should be on your list, avoids the etymotic er4s, the strain relief sticks out quite a bit and is not at all flexible.

Aug 29, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #14 of 19
If you can find a pair or stand done wait time Aurisonic Rockets are tiny

Apr 1, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #15 of 19
  Hi all, been out of the scene for quite some time but I still see some familiar names... 

Anyway, my tiny and long loved Ety er6i has finally passed on.  The sound quality wasn't fantastic, but they were the ONLY iem that I could get inside my motorcycle helmet's tight neck seal area without disrupting the seal.  I've tried the search feature to find the smallest iem and most threads relate either to small ear canals or small prices, neither of which I care about.

So to cap it off, I'm looking for the smallest, least protruding IEM on the market, price point is not terribly important as long as the features warrant the price.  That said, I don't really care too much about sound quality since they will be primarily used while operating a motorcycle, which isn't what I would call a critical listening environment.  They should seal well and be able to hold the seal in a high vibration environment. 

Thanks!

im in the same boat the Ety er6i would go so deep only wire was exposed, what have you decided on ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back