Looking for Sennheiser HD 598 with more bass
Feb 17, 2018 at 8:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

richaxes

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,
I have a Sennheiser HD 598 for about 5-6 years now which I absolutely love, but since it has a lot of wear now and eventually it will just fall apart, I'm thinking about replacing it and I would like some headphones that are similar in overall sound signature but have a better bass response. It would also be great to have something that doesn't require an external amp just like the HD 598. It would be preferable if the new one is in the same price range as 598s. What are my options?
Thanks in advance!

Feb 17, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #2 of 9
I had the HD599 for a while and was surprised by their bass to say the least. Having read mostly HD598 reviews I didn't expect it. It's mostly upper bass though and not much subbass since they're open. They were fun for a while but the forward and somewhat unbalanced bass got tiring after a while and I switched to the HD600. As you can see from the impedance graph, the HD599 bass is strongly source-dependant too.

Feb 17, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #3 of 9
I had the HD599 for a while and was surprised by their bass to say the least. Having read mostly HD598 reviews I didn't expect it. It's mostly upper bass though and not much subbass since they're open. They were fun for a while but the forward and somewhat unbalanced bass got tiring after a while and I switched to the HD600. As you can see from the impedance graph, the HD599 bass is strongly source-dependant too.
Cheers! How much "stronger" is the bass on the HD599 compared to the 598 exactly (if you listened to both)? Also, I would think with the HD600 you need an external amp, right?

Feb 17, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #4 of 9
Cheers! How much "stronger" is the bass on the HD599 compared to the 598 exactly (if you listened to both)? Also, I would think with the HD600 you need an external amp, right?
Haven't listened to the 598 so can't say exactly but reviews seem to confirm it has more bass and somewhat smaller soundstage compared to the 598. You'd want to try them yourself to know the exact difference.
Also the thing with the HD600 NEEDING an external amp is totally overblown here. Same goes for many other headphones. While the HD600 are 300ohm and a little lower sensitivity, many electronic devices have pretty good internal amps nowadays. I have my HD600 plugged into an O2+ODAC but would happily listen to them from my mobo, the difference isn't life-changing. What exactly are you plugging your headphones into?

Feb 17, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #5 of 9
Haven't listened to the 598 so can't say exactly but reviews seem to confirm it has more bass and somewhat smaller soundstage compared to the 598. You'd want to try them yourself to know the exact difference.
Also the thing with the HD600 NEEDING an external amp is totally overblown here. Same goes for many other headphones. While the HD600 are 300ohm and a little lower sensitivity, many electronic devices have pretty good internal amps nowadays. I have my HD600 plugged into an O2+ODAC but would happily listen to them from my mobo, the difference isn't life-changing. What exactly are you plugging your headphones into?
Mostly into my mobo (Asus ROG Maximus VII Hero) which has pretty decent audio or into my Line 6 UX1 external sound card. Are you saying that stuff like these can drive a HD600 decent enough to have a considerable volume?

Feb 17, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #7 of 9
Mostly into my mobo (Asus ROG Maximus VII Hero) which has pretty decent audio or into my Line 6 UX1 external sound card. Are you saying that stuff like these can drive a HD600 decent enough to have a considerable volume?
I'm listening to the HD600 plugged straight to my mobo right now at 20% volume, which is more than enough volume for me. I have pretty basic audio on my mobo (GA-Z170M-D3H). Actually surprised how good it sounds.

I also had the Fidelio X2 at the same time with the HD599 (a local store had stacked a literal pile of cheap discounted X2's). They're very different from the Sennheiser sound and not nearly balanced as the HD599 let alone the HD600. Also you can't replace the pads, headband or other parts which is ridiculous for a headphone at their intended price range. I guess they're fine if you're really into their specific sound signature but I didn't care for it. Not even at the 120€ they were sold at.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #8 of 9
I agree the HD600 can be driven to reasonable volume levels without a dedicated external amplifier (in some cases). That said, I do not believe I get the maximum quality sound without a dedicated amplifier for my HD600. So there is some compromise there, IMO, particularly in dynamics and bass. Just my take and YMMV, of course. I also think the X2 is a good potential option.

Feb 17, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #9 of 9
Hi guys,
I have a Sennheiser HD 598 for about 5-6 years now which I absolutely love, but since it has a lot of wear now and eventually it will just fall apart, I'm thinking about replacing it and I would like some headphones that are similar in overall sound signature but have a better bass response. It would also be great to have something that doesn't require an external amp just like the HD 598. It would be preferable if the new one is in the same price range as 598s. What are my options?
Thanks in advance!
Soundmagic HP200 headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back