Looking for recommendations on Slim, ultra-portable DAP
Aug 26, 2017 at 3:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Benz-Fi

100+ Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fiers, I'm looking for recommendations for a slim and ultra portable dap. There are many options these days but it's hard to find people who have them so I can make sure they sound exceptionally good out of the box with my UE 18+ PRO - So I am reaching out to you for your experience and expertise.

The smallest players in my arsenal at the moment are Lotoo PAW5000 and A&K AK100II, while both sound great I find that the Lotoo is lacking driving power and the AK's volume knob is absurdly designed for pocket use, I should also mention that although they're considered to be smaller sized players, both of them are still a bit bulkier than what I am looking for.

I would like the player to have a physical volume wheel (encased somehow not bulging like the AK100II - think along the lines of AUNE M2's volume knob) but not having one will not be a deal breaker. What I must have:

Fast and simple navigation
Large SD file support
Slim and ultra portable form factor
and of course, exceptional sound quality and driving power

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated, your experience will make my decision a ton easier.

Thanks for reading!

Aug 27, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #3 of 15
Have you tried or researched the Pioneer XDP-300R or Onkyo DP-X1A ?

I have, that's a bit bigger than I would like for a super portable player. - I am thinking along the lines of Shanling M1 or smaller with a better DAC. - I've got the Acoustic Research M20 which is slimmer than the Pioneer/Onkyo but still as big as a phone lol

Aug 27, 2017 at 1:59 AM Post #4 of 15
I have, that's a bit bigger than I would like for a super portable player. - I am thinking along the lines of Shanling M1 or smaller with a better DAC. - I've got the Acoustic Research M20 which is slimmer than the Pioneer/Onkyo but still as big as a phone lol

I've never had a chance to try the Shanling M1. I had the Pioneer XDP-300R but returned it and got the Astell & Kern KANN. It's a lovely sounding brick with enough voltage to drive inefficient headphones. I will say I hear a lot about this DAP The Questyle QP1R. Not sure if it will fit the bill for you. The Questyle QP2R has the same DAC Chip as the Astell & Kern KANN. That might not mean much depending how it is implemented. I don't think it would hurt to research those models.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2017 at 2:09 AM Post #5 of 15
I've never had a chance to try the Shanling M1. I had the Pioneer XDP-300R but returned it and got the Astell & Kern KANN. It's a lovely sounding brick with enough voltage to drive inefficient headphones. I will say I hear a lot about this DAP The Questyle QP1R. Not sure if it will fit the bill for you. The Questyle QP2R has the same DAC Chip as the Astell & Kern KANN. That might not mean much depending how it is implemented. I don't think it would hurt to research those models.

And forgive me.... I just looked it up that Shanling M1 is Super Compact.... like an ipod Nano almost. You may find something here.. https://www.shenzhenaudio.com/

Aug 28, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #6 of 15
And forgive me.... I just looked it up that Shanling M1 is Super Compact.... like an ipod Nano almost. You may find something here.. https://www.shenzhenaudio.com/

Yeah, I've looked at Shenzhen and couldn't find anything just right. - I'm starting to realize that what I am looking for is not as easy to find as I once thought.

Thanks for your help though, much appreciated!

Aug 28, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #7 of 15
Yeah, I've looked at Shenzhen and couldn't find anything just right. - I'm starting to realize that what I am looking for is not as easy to find as I once thought.

Thanks for your help though, much appreciated!

You're welcome Benz-Fi let me know if you ever find something that fit the description.

Aug 17, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #8 of 15
Reviving an old thread to find out more about the best bang for the buck ultra portable dap at this time and if others that will be released soon. Budgeting around 100 US. M5, M0, ap8, R3, etc.

Aug 19, 2019 at 2:27 AM Post #10 of 15
To this day I haven't seen anything smaller than the Shanling M0.
Have you seen the FiiO M5 yet? I think it is smaller than the Shanling M0. It even has an accessory to wear it as a watch.

Aug 19, 2019 at 10:01 AM Post #12 of 15
IMG_20190819_192901.jpg
It's available here in Hong Kong now. I just picked one up today on my mini shopping spree. :)

Aug 19, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #14 of 15
Too early to say. I also bought a Cayin N6ii and an iBasso DC01. Ear time is going to the bigger dap for now but it's also time to go to sleep soon. I'll try tomorrow maybe. Sorry.

Aug 19, 2019 at 10:21 AM Post #15 of 15
Too early to say. I also bought a Cayin N6ii and an iBasso DC01. Ear time is going to the bigger dap for now but it's also time to go to sleep soon. I'll try tomorrow maybe. Sorry.
It's no rush. Whenever you get around to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back