Looking for portable amp for Imod
Jul 17, 2012 at 1:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

beerguy0

Headphoneus Supremus
As indicated, I'm looking for an amp for my Imod. (I mostly use Denon AH-D1001 headphones at work.) I use the Alo Audio OCC Triple-Pipe Cryo cable for my LOD. Price isn't too critical, but I would like to keep it under $250. I'm somewhat torn on an integrated DAC. On one hand, I'm quite happy with the sound of my Imod, but I also have an regular Video Ipod that I may want to use in the future, so an integrated DAC might be useful. (If it can be bypassed, so much the better.)

I have a Goldpoint amp as my desk rig, but I need something for lab use. I often move from bench to bench, depending on what I'm doing, so a portable would probably be my better option.

Kits are also an option. I've been looking at the AMB Mini^3 as a possible solution.

Jul 17, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #4 of 18
I'd suggest Justin's Pico Slim, Ray Samuel's Mustang P-51 or his Shadow.  Those are three I use/have used with my 4G iMod and 5.5G iMod and found them to work very well.  Much will depend on what phones you want to drive with your iMod.

I'm not sure about integrated DACs since I haven't used any.  I do have the ALO Solo, but that's another whole different way to go.....and a lot more expensive.

Jul 22, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #5 of 18
In my view, using a Shadow with an iMod is two steps forward and one step back (optimistically). If you are going to spend money on an iMod, don't match it with an amp with excessive THD. The other two suggestions from kiwirugby are good. Also take a look at the 2Stepdance.

None of these are under $250 though. More like $350...

Jul 23, 2012 at 7:08 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:
In my view, using a Shadow with an iMod is two steps forward and one step back (optimistically). If you are going to spend money on an iMod, don't match it with an amp with excessive THD. The other two suggestions from kiwirugby are good. Also take a look at the 2Stepdance.

None of these are under $250 though. More like $350...

I wound up getting the AMB Mini^3 kit. I'm going to be using the amp mostly at work, and I just can't see spending $400. I'm also planning on building a Beta 22 later this year, so I can't go too overboard right now.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Aug 13, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:
Good luck!  Let us know how it turns out and sounds.

After initially receiving a bad opamp, I finally got the Mini^3 running today. First impressions are favorable - good soundstage, bass seems to be pretty solid and the highs are clear without harshness. Fairly easy build, the only tricky part is sanding the battery down, and getting the battery contacts filed to get the battery flush to the PWB. (It's a very tight fit in the Hammond case.) I need to burn it in to get a better idea of SQ, but so far I can recommend this amp for those on a budget. I haven't tried it with my Senn HD580 or Denon HD5000 yet, but it drives the smaller Denon phones nicely.

Mar 20, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #9 of 18
I'd suggest Justin's Pico Slim, Ray Samuel's Mustang P-51 or his Shadow.  Those are three I use/have used with my 4G iMod and 5.5G iMod and found them to work very well.  Much will depend on what phones you want to drive with your iMod.

Greetings all, this is my first post here so please be easy on me! Have been reading posts all week and am quite impressed with the quality of many of the posts and reviews, and am learning quite a bit.

I'm seriously considering modding my 5G iPod, upgrading cans from the Bose QC2 (noise cancel helps with long daily bus rides) to AT W5000(not super portable, I know, but am willing to carry large phones around if they are good) and getting a portable amp such as the Pico slim or a diff small good quality amp. After a lot of forum reading, it sounds like this could be a good combo, but the w5000 is low impedance (40 ohms) and it could be not ideal with the Pico. Concerned that even with the switch set to low gain that it could be a pain to control the output to the cans.

Would probably choose the Pico without DAC since I would be using the iPod DAC... I think the Pico slim has no DAC regardless. Can anyone recommend a good short cable to use that is reasonably priced or should I really go with a $195 ALO LOD? (Edit: i think i found the answer...for 5g, need the ALO because the caps don't fit in the 5g, they are in the ALO cable itself)

Also curious about thoughts ppl have on Pico with the w5000/imod before I pull the trigger!

Thanks much for any advice!

Edit: the W5000 has 1/4" jack, and Pico slim looks like 1/8". Need to buy HQ 1/4 to 1/8 adapter?! Wondering what ppl recommend. Thx.
(Thinking out loud: Vinnie offers a pre modded 5g with ALO cable for $550. Hmm. Spend $$ to mail my old 5g, and also $450 for iMod service and ALO cable or jus buy one pre-made for $550.)

Mar 20, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #10 of 18
The Pico Slim is really for IEMs, so be careful here.  I would ask the community what small portable amp specifically would power properly the AT W5000s.  The Pico just won't be enough, I don't think.  The RSA P-51 on the other hand may well.

Sorry, but I have had no experience with the AT W5000s.  You will need to do some more searching for these kinds of cans.

Mar 20, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #11 of 18
The Pico Slim is really for IEMs, so be careful here.  I would ask the community what small portable amp specifically would power properly the AT W5000s.  The Pico just won't be enough, I don't think.  The RSA P-51 on the other hand may well.

Sorry, but I have had no experience with the AT W5000s.  You will need to do some more searching for these kinds of cans.

Thanks for the feedback! Looking at the RSA P51, looks great. I read Skylab's review and he seems to have had a good experience with this amp using AT ESW9's. Still looks like it uses 1/8", so would prob need a nice 1/4 to 1/8 adapter.

Any other ideas from ppl on portable amp for a w5000 and Imod? I know ppl really love the Yammy HA2 with these cans, but not too portable. Hmm maybe I could figure out a way to use it as a portable. *grin*

Mar 20, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #12 of 18
Also like the look of the SR 71's, anyone ever try to use w5000 with p51 or sr71 or have a great experience with any other portable amp with those cans?
Thx again. Really want excellent phones, and want them on the bus! Willing to lug the amp and phones case around with me. :)

Mar 21, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback! Looking at the RSA P51, looks great. I read Skylab's review and he seems to have had a good experience with this amp using AT ESW9's. Still looks like it uses 1/8", so would prob need a nice 1/4 to 1/8 adapter.

My P-51 is 1/8".  I think all RSA's smaller portables are.  

Mar 21, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #14 of 18
Appears to be the case, yep.
Have a pseudo plan now...

Leckerton UHA-4
Redwine IMod G5 w/ALO dock
1/4 to 1/8 adapter (deciding between a few options)
AT W5000 woodies

Hoping W5000 sounds good with this setup...may need to pick a diff set of phones but I really want the AT's to work. Anyone have recommendations for a great set of closed phones that are awesome sq and would be more appropriate for this config? That may be a loaded question because phones can be quite subjective, but I welcome any advice.

Mar 22, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

those 2 amps output identical amounts of power

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back